Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 828 Words
  • 1,405 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragon Prompts - 1. Aletheia

It was silly actually. Just a spur of the moment thing. In reality I was only on the ESP website to research some details for a pretty insignificant part of a story I was writing. But as a rule, I don’t like to get caught with any factual errors. It was a weird little announcement too, in a purple box:

We’d like to get an idea of the number of those truly interested in this subject, so we’re running a little contest. We asked a passer-by to think of a number between 1 and 1,000 and to write it on a card we furnished, folding it so we couldn’t tell what they wrote. We then placed it in an envelope and secured it in our safe. Take a guess!! Submit the number with your address (no name please!) and if you answered correctly we will mail you a special book as prize. There will be no solicitations or further contact.

There was short entry slot for the number and one for the address and then a big ENTER button. What the hell, I thought. I entered 721 and my address and pressed ENTER. Then the whole box disappeared!

Occurring a couple weeks ago, it was now completely forgotten. This morning, a small package arrived with the mail. Unwrapping what was clearly a book, I was greeted with a rather elegantly tooled leather bound small volume. It had the simple title, Aletheia.

Well, what a pleasant surprise! I didn’t want to open and read it until I had a full pot of coffee. While it was brewing, I concluded Aletheia would be an excellent little distraction to take my mind off the worry I hadn’t heard from Toby in a whole week. I knew he was on a short business trip somewhere on the coast, but was it wrong to expect a few texts? You know, telling me what a good time he was having or how boring it was or even he loved me? He’s my boyfriend for gosh sake!

Finally the brewing was finished and I poured my mug; the same mug Toby gave me early in our relationship when he discovered I was a coffeeholic. He always pays so much attention to every detail of my behavior. The title page betrayed no author or publisher or even copyright date, just the title. I turned the page. The bold “Chapter 1” was halfway down the page, followed by the first several lines of text:

“Joel waited until his coffee was brewed before beginning to read the book.”

I had to read the first line again! It was exactly what I just did! What an unbelievable coincidence.

“He had to re-read the first line, not believing the description of what just happened to him.”

I was about to ...I don’t even know what, when the doorbell rang. As I set the book down, my eyes caught a bit of the next sentence.

“He went to answer the door, forever regretting...” It’s all I saw as the bell rang again, twice! I jumped up and hurried to it, swung it open and beheld Toby. My Toby!! My face lit up in a huge smile. I was about to rush into an embrace, when he pushed a bag into my hands.

“This is all your stuff from my apartment. It’s over Joel. I’ve met someone else.” He turned and hurried to his still running car and sped off before I could even take my next breath!

I remained in the doorway, stunned. Eventually I wandered over to my sofa and sat down slightly trembling. Then I completely broke down and cried for, forever. Later I wandered about the house as in a trance. My world had been torn, stomped and spit on. When I eventually returned to the kitchen, I dumped the cold pot of coffee and grabbed a glass of wine. Sitting at the table I noticed the book. Then I remembered the partial line I saw before Toby ripped away my life.

I was a little fearful now, actually. I peeked at the line again: “He went to answer the door, forever regretting the decision as Toby ended the relationship Joel thought would last forever.” Intrigued now, and with much trepidation, I sipped my wine and continued to read.

“Joel was destroyed. He cried for an hour on his sofa. He remembered all the wonderful times he and Toby had spent over the last year. The deep love they had for each other, the little things they did to show their love. Joel truly believed Toby was his soul mate and would be a part of his life for as long as he had life. Pouring a glass of wine, Joel decided to read further in the book. As he continued he became more and more determined to”

It was the end of the first page. I did not turn the page. Instead, I

hr />
My response to prompt 443: You won a book online. When you finally get it the book surprises the hell out of you. What is the book about?

Copyright © 2015 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 09/12/2015 07:08 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

Oh wow! I really love this concept! :D Kudos! :2thumbs: I am very curious to see where Joel goes from here :)

Haha! Thanks Drew!

After reading some neat short stories in answer to prompts I was perusing the prompt section and found this with no stories, poor thing, so I thought I'd give it a go.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Wow. Loved the way the story was told.
Would have really loved for Joel to have read further, but I guess he had had enough Aletheia for one day. As the saying goes "truth hurts".

 

Really well done Prompt. Some more would good, if you've got the time :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

AHHHHH!!! 'Instead I...' WHAT??!! Instead he what??? I'm on pins and needles here. Shit! Did Toby set that whole thing up????? What a SHIT he turned out to be!

 

Great prompt story, Skinny! :)

 

Damn, now I see you posted another Twoey chapter. I really have to get my shit in gear...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/12/2015 07:57 AM, Reader1810 said:

Wow. Loved the way the story was told.

Would have really loved for Joel to have read further, but I guess he had had enough Aletheia for one day. As the saying goes "truth hurts".

 

Really well done Prompt. Some more would good, if you've got the time :)

Thanks Reader!

I never considered doing prompts, but it was fun. I'll keep my eye on them!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/12/2015 08:11 AM, Lisa said:

AHHHHH!!! 'Instead I...' WHAT??!! Instead he what??? I'm on pins and needles here. Shit! Did Toby set that whole thing up????? What a SHIT he turned out to be!

 

Great prompt story, Skinny! :)

 

Damn, now I see you posted another Twoey chapter. I really have to get my shit in gear...

Thanks Lisa!

As I told Reader1810 it was fun doing it.

Now about Twoey: David's getting all screwed up without you there to guide him!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

AAAARRRRGH!! A great response to a prompt, BUT...you CAN'T leave me hanging like this? I want to know that Toby will want back in and Joel will send him off with his tail between his legs; I want to know Joel will find the man of his dreams, and smash the coffee cup to smithereens. Wait...did I just finish your story??
As always, great writing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/12/2015 09:47 AM, Defiance19 said:

Wait, what now... This was brilliant!!

Aw thanks Defiance!

After staring at 122 chapters of Twoey, it was fun to write something this compact!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/12/2015 10:24 AM, Coastguard said:

AAAARRRRGH!! A great response to a prompt, BUT...you CAN'T leave me hanging like this? I want to know that Toby will want back in and Joel will send him off with his tail between his legs; I want to know Joel will find the man of his dreams, and smash the coffee cup to smithereens. Wait...did I just finish your story??

As always, great writing.

Haha... yeah Coastguard, sorry, if you want more to this story you're gonna have to write it. Wait, you just did!!

Thanks for the nifty review!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You're one sharp cookie SD. Frustratingly clever and innocently annoying with the way you left it.
Well done--now don't do it again! :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/12/2015 07:21 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

You're one sharp cookie SD. Frustratingly clever and innocently annoying with the way you left it.

Well done--now don't do it again! :)

Ha! Thanks CG!

I don't think I've ever been called innocently annoying ...nope never!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 09/12/2015 11:55 PM, Puppilull said:

That was very clever and intriguing! I wouldn't want to finish that book either...

Thanks for that Puppilull!

Yep, Joel showed a lot of wisdom closing that book.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/22/2015 02:34 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Nicely done. Brilliant, in fact. Perfect in it's compact form.

loved it

tim

Thanks Tim! :)

 

My first and last stab at a prompt.

I should try another, I guess.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The abrupt ending puzzled me at first, but then I became satisfied with the belief that the author is saying it's up to us to write own destinies…our own truths, if you will.

It's nice to encounter a true 'short story' – one that follows the classic opportunities of suspense, climax, twist and dénouement – and one that takes advantage of the form's ability to tackle paranormal matters.

We don't really have enough room to get to know Joel very well, but the 'other stuff' going on makes up for that.

I found this really intriguing and promising. I hope more prompts inspire you to create works like these! Plz :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/12/2016 08:20 AM, AC Benus said:

The abrupt ending puzzled me at first, but then I became satisfied with the belief that the author is saying it's up to us to write own destinies…our own truths, if you will.

 

It's nice to encounter a true 'short story' – one that follows the classic opportunities of suspense, climax, twist and dénouement – and one that takes advantage of the form's ability to tackle paranormal matters.

 

We don't really have enough room to get to know Joel very well, but the 'other stuff' going on makes up for that.

 

I found this really intriguing and promising. I hope more prompts inspire you to create works like these! Plz :)

Thanks for the neat comments AC!

 

I haven't been inspired by any of the prompts since Aletheia, but maybe I'm simply uncomfortable with prompts. And now here you are gently prodding me to do another. Why are you always pushing me into alien waters? Are you a teacher??

 

[ Exit the dragon, stage right, petulantly stalking away. ]

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Interesting and terrifying. OMG, that was wonderful, wicked and all. I can't describe how I felt. Do I believe in superstitions? I am not going say that either. It was fantastic prompt response. Wonderfully done.

 

~Emi.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..