Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,037 Words
  • 688 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reverberations - 1. Reverberations

(Wednesday, October 13th, 1998)

At 10 years old, Caleb was unsure why he focused on the news story, nor why his attention was drawn to a brutal murder thousands of miles away in Wyoming. However, before he could give himself a reason, the TV screen turned black.

 

“You’re too young to know about that stuff, Caleb. Don’t you have a big test tomorrow?” His mother clamored.

 

“Yeah mom, I…uh…Social Studies…” Caleb raced out of the living room, feeling as though he had done something dirty and wrong by watching the news.

 

(Thursday, June 26th, 2003)

 

At 15 years old, Caleb lived with fear. A secret shame of what he was, hidden from the world. He didn’t know who to trust with this secret, nor if people including his own family would accept him for who he was. He flipped on the television and heard a groundbreaking news story coming from the US Supreme Court. Due to his joy of the moment obscuring his spatial awareness, he did not notice his father had been watching his joyous rapture. Caleb quickly changed the channel.

 

“Got any plans for the weekend, Cale?” his dad asked trying to avert an uncomfortable truth in his mind.

 

Caleb shyly answered, “Matt and Carolyn are heading to the beach, and they invited me. I’m going to invite our new neighbor, Jason, too.”

 

(Monday, May 17th, 2004)

After school, Caleb and Jason, both 16 years old, were lounging around Caleb’s home. Caleb had revealed his secret to his parents and they were accepting towards Caleb and any “special” friend, which only Jason fits. Both boys knew they had an undefined relationship deeper than friendship. They knew they wanted to be with each other, but had no plans or words to express their desire. A news story popped up that caught their attention and kept it for an hour.

 

Caleb asked quizzically, “So…uh…marriage.”

 

Laughing, Jason gave Caleb a kiss, “I think we should start off by calling each other boyfriends, but I wouldn’t mind if that’s the end result.”

 

(Monday, November 10th, 2008)

Caleb, who just turned 21 years old, was angry at the world. Angry his family had lost their home thanks to unscrupulous mortgage lenders. He was angry that Proposition 8 passed in California, and angry that Jason, his boyfriend of 5 years, had forgotten his birthday. His roommate would be spending the night at his girlfriend’s dorm, so he was completely alone. He sulked in his college dorm room preparing his pre-law final essay, but the spirit had left him for the lost causes in his life.

Someone was knocking at the door, which Caleb tried to ignore until he heard the familiar voice of Jason.

 

“Cale, open up before I have to make a big gay scene,” Jason extorted in his overly dramatic, though endearing, tone.

 

Caleb sighed and opened the door.

“Dude, chill it. I am glad most people know I am gay and are okay with it here.”

 

Jason understood and laid the cake down.

“Happy Birthday, Cale, I knew you were feeling down, so I wanted to surprise you.”

 

“I just feel like nothing ever gets fixed, Jase. Corporations keep making billions off false promotions, stealing peoples homes and money. Religious fundamentalists with money coming from the same crooks use the fear and instability to make lives harder for people like you and me. What’s the point in fighting?”

 

Jason considered thoughtfully.

“Cale, I’m not studying to be a lawyer like you. Maybe Obama will do something, maybe he can’t. All I know is you and I are here right now, I got you and you got me. We didn’t need the world to approve of us.”

 

(Friday, June 26th, 2015)

Caleb, at 28 years old, was about to leave his old career and relationship status. A month ago, he had accepted a job as an assistant district attorney, having worked in the last few years at a public defense law firm. He had delayed assuming his new role until after his long-deferred wedding plans. At their reception dinner, Jason and Caleb began the customary toast and roast as new spouses.

 

Caleb spoke into his lapel microphone raising his glass of champagne, “I am happy to welcome all of you to our wedding, which I hope will be one of many after today’s ruling. You know I met Jason 12 years ago, today, we hit it off instantly…”

 

Jason interjected, instantly recognizing the comedy setup, “…Yes, but it took another ruling from a Supreme Court for this guy to ask me out…”

 

(Monday, June 4th 2018)

At 30 years old, Caleb has had a very bad day. His twitter account had been flooding him with stories after the latest setback from the US Supreme Court, along with other personal and professional hindrances.

 

Caleb stared at a chocolate cake.

“Jase, what is this? Our anniversary is 3 weeks away.”

 

Jason smiled and poured a glass of red wine, “I heard about what happened with the job and I saw the news about the big cake case.”

 

“I expected they would choose someone else. I’m not exactly their ideal candidate despite the record. I used to feel like the token gay guy. Like I’ll be paraded down the street just to prove my office is tolerant. Now, I feel like they’ll start having me prosecuting gays with Jim Crow laws. When did I sell my soul to the devil, Jase?”

 

(Monday, June 15th 2020)

At 32 years old, Caleb was trapped at home with his husband, Jason. Despite the grim prospects of the pandemic, they were optimistic. They had moved to a large progressive city on the east coast and Caleb had taken a vacant district attorney post.

 

“I told you Gorsuch wasn’t as bad as people thought,” Caleb wrapped Jason in his arms

 

“Well, all we need now is a new President and a few more judges on the Supreme Court. Maybe you?” Jason commented.

 

“Well, you never know what the future might bring…”

Copyright © 2021 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A great little tale for Pride. A great snapshot into the life of Caleb.

Thanks, I tried to give snippets of his life and hoped readers could piece together the character's journey and motivations.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 minute ago, MichaelS36 said:

Thank you for sharing this story for Pride.  The Supreme Court should be more diverse. 

Thanks for reading. Yes, and I also wanted to point out how a lot of the major achievements (and setback) are equally part of the Supreme Court and the fickle nature of the electorate. Proposition 8 passed in 2008 almost 13 years ago in California, one of the most liberal states out there. I wanted to remind folks life is unpredictable and so is everything we have right now.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

It's a good reminder. Everyone has struggles, but we have our own flavor; we have additional ones, heaped on us. I'm glad Caleb didn't let those struggles poison him.

Nice story. 🙂

  • Like 4
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

It's a good reminder. Everyone has struggles, but we have our own flavor; we have additional ones, heaped on us. I'm glad Caleb didn't let those struggles poison him.

Nice story. 🙂

Thanks for reading @Wayne Gray, it's sort of like your story, we all have our own issues that we live with and grow from. Also, you and I have different ways of spelling a similarly named character: Jase versus Jace :) must be some weird cosmic coincidence.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

It has been a little difficult to follow along the snippets from across the pond at first, but it led to a round of interesting googling, thank you for that. I enjoyed it and the story. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
W_L

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, Aditus said:

It has been a little difficult to follow along the snippets from across the pond at first, but it led to a round of interesting googling, thank you for that. I enjoyed it and the story. :)

Thanks for reading, I didn't name all the events that occurred, because I wanted to give people the chance to reflect on the details for themselves. Starting with Matthew Shepard murder in 1998, I wanted to offer a window into the life of a gay guy growing up during an era of change, setbacks, hope, fears, and dreams. Micro-fiction does not lend itself to my style of writing, but I tried to offer a taste of who my characters are.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I enjoyed this.  I liked seeing how such major events affected Caleb and his life's path.  Thank you for sharing your story! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I enjoyed this.  I liked seeing how such major events affected Caleb and his life's path.  Thank you for sharing your story! 

Thank you for reading @Valkyrie, I am glad you enjoyed it. I feel like my characters grew up alongside me in this story, being part of an ever changing world as gay men.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I remember all of these in the news, and the weight of their impact. Prop 8 in particular hit hard because of all the effort my friends and I put into marching and phone calling. Brings back many memories, thanks for the good read.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, headtransplant said:

I remember all of these in the news, and the weight of their impact. Prop 8 in particular hit hard because of all the effort my friends and I put into marching and phone calling. Brings back many memories, thanks for the good read.

Thanks @headtransplant for reading, I know we all went through a lot of ups and downs, triumphs and setbacks. I have Pride in what LGBTQ+ community and all our allies have achieved from what we had to face, from hate crime murders to popular anti-gay laws, these things only makes what we have today something we can take pride in.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A very interesting capsule look at the lives of a pair of guys that seem to have been meant to be together. The hopeful element, and their willingness to embrace it. Look forward, not back. I like that it leaves them a future. Just like in the real world, one hopes!

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

A very interesting capsule look at the lives of a pair of guys that seem to have been meant to be together. The hopeful element, and their willingness to embrace it. Look forward, not back. I like that it leaves them a future. Just like in the real world, one hopes!

Hope should be kept close next to love, the future is what we make it. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..