Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 1,571 Words
  • 1,511 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonborne - 11. Chapter 11

Navix’s tantrum stormed through his chambers as desks were smashed, windows broken, and books torn to shreds. “How did this happen? It was all going according to my will, my plan. The royals murdered through a manufactured war; the elder dragons sent into hiding” Navix threw his chalice of wine across the room shattering on impact as wine cascaded down the walls. “The council was almost firmly in my grasp and the next generation of knights set up to be my army. That infuriating Hendrix, he has been a thorn in my side for too long.” Navix fell to his knees in agony as his damaged arm pulsed.

“The seal has been broken and a vessel has appeared, after years of waiting my return is closer than ever. Navix you blind fool you served me well I'll make sure to make use of you one final time” the disembodied voice laughed as Navix screamed.

  

****  

“Hold! We will resume shortly, looks like we have some uninvited guest to attend too?” Bastion tossed his sword to Sage as the ‘Gillian Brigade’ approached him. “Why are you here? It has already been made clear you cannot force my hand in your foolish endeavor and I have no interest in your games.” Bastion scowled as Gillian stepped forward arrogant as ever it appeared.

“What if I assured you not only victory but something a bit more, tangible?” Gillian smirked as he caught Bastion’s attention. He motioned toward his group; two knights approached carrying a casket-like box between them. “Now do you think we can come to an agreement of sorts? Don’t worry Sage I have an offering for you as well.”

Bastion glanced to his side and for the briefest of moments he saw it, the usually aloof Sage was no longer present, his eyes hardened and dangerous. Those were the eyes of someone who knew battle, who lived through battle and killed in battle. As quickly as it surfaced it was cast away.

“How have you come into possession of such objects; these were said to have been lost during the war over five years ago. Do not expect me to believe you just happen to come across them and the council has no idea they are within your possession.”

“The devil is in the details, there are some things that are just not worth sharing, especially with those who do not share my ideas and aspirations. Consider this a truce for the time being, as the old saying goes the enemy of my enemy is my friend.”

“Are you insinuating that we are enemies? Surely you jest?” Bastion cursed himself having tossed his weapon to Sage, if this were to turn into a fight he would be at an immediate disadvantage as he lacked the skill to perform battle worth magically feats without his weapon as a conduit.

“Take my words as you like, however; I will give you until the night before the challenge to inform me of your decision. Sage this is not a packaged deal feel free to approach me with or without Bastion at your side. You may find I bring as much to the table as your dear Bastion if not more weather that be with my weapon sheathed at my side or the one below my belt.” Gillian smirk as he stroked Sage’s check before he and his brigade left the two knights stunned in silence.

The daily routines continued as the days passed, they aimed to improve and hone their skills. With the dragonborne kingdom walled off to the knights for a few weeks, they focused their energies elsewhere. Often Bastion found himself lost in thought, Sage had been with him due to a sense of duty from their master and in time they had formed become friends with benefits but nothing more. Would the promise of power and maybe something more tangible be enough for Sage would leave his side?

“You look like someone kicked your puppy or maybe in your case took your favorite sword, care to share where your mind has wandered off too? I could have easily ended you at least four or five times.” Sage had become more comfortable dropping the act around Bastion, not only did he know more about him than most, but he was also quite adept at keeping him satisfied. He did, however, notice a change within him and at this rate, one of them might end up dead.

“Do you desire more from me?” Bastion questioned.

“Wait, what?” Sage was caught off guard, of the many things he guessed could be going on in Bastion’s head that was not one of them.

By all accounts, you could consider us lovers, but I've seen how Sune flirts and arouses you and now Gillian is offering promises with a hint of something more, intimate. Is that what you want? Can they give you something I truly cannot?”

Sage was dumbfounded, before him wasn’t the confident, sure of himself sometimes egotistical knight who he had first met. Sage couldn’t decide if it was the defeat to Levi or something more that triggered the change, but Bastion was thinking more for himself these days, calculating his moves both on and off the battlefield. This knight before him was unfamiliar.

“That’s what this is about? If I recall you were the one who decided this was more out of convenience than anything.” Sage placed his weapons down and approached Bastion. Though his aloof persona served as a cover most times, when it came to delicate matters, he was still very reserved often preferring to follow rather than lead.

“We’ve always been closed off to each Sage, you always had an air of mystery and deception about you while I wasn’t one to let anyone in. I grew up on the outskirts, with no fancy titles or family names. I made it this far on my efforts, attitude, and luck alone. I had to fight for my place and in my pursuits even fell to the scheme of others. I think I made this arrangement more of self-preservation, relationships weren’t my thing, and keeping one at arm's length protected me from heartbreak and being run through by a sword.” Bastion held Sage’s face between his hand as he gazed into his eyes, “Sage, don’t hurt me, I have enough people who want to stab me through the back” the two embraced and shared a kiss before separating and gazing at each other once again. “I have a plan; I am trusting you with my heart so trust me with this.” Sage nodded as Bastion pulled him into a warm embrace.

****  

In the weeks which followed the young drakes went their separate ways to focus on themselves with the time they had left. Sune returned to his clan, but not before holding Levi in a tight embrace and planting a kiss on his cheek, causing Jin to scowl at him. He couldn’t explain why he now remembered his time with the young prince but he was happy to have his friend back. Levi once again was subjected to Merlin’s grueling regiment. Jin found himself spending more time with the black dragon learning to wield his natural strength to a degree he never thought possible and keeping himself distant from Levi. Old memories and wounds were present, but he couldn’t shake the feeling he knew the cyan drake.

“You’ve grown into a fine warrior young red, but I sense doubt within you. Your strikes are strong but hesitant, what hinders your mind?” Thade cast his blade away as he sat near the red wyvern. Jin shrugged off his words

“I intended to crush those knights, with every fiber of my being. It was due to their kind I lost everything important to me, something I can never reclaim which taught me to depend on nothing but myself.” He clenched his fist as he stared at the ground. “Why then have those memories returned, ever-present. I cast them away, nothing can be protected with feelings. I was weak and vowed never to let anything be taken from me again. To rule I must be unyielding, bowing before no one, be it man or beast. Why then have these memories and feelings returned?” Jin shouted as he shattered a nearby boulder.

Thade reached out to the young drake before pulling back. He could understand how the drake felt, five years ago he had failed and as of late those memories and wounds felt fresh as if they had happened just yesterday. He could do nothing back then as he watched his mentor and friend the king be slain trying to protect his legacy. He looked back at the red wyvern who sulked away, another casualty of his failure.

“In time all things will be as they should my old friend” Merlin placed a hand on Thade’s shoulder. “You must let go of the guilt you still harbor, it is most unbecoming of the captain of the royal guard. You did not fail. I am sure you feel it, more now than you had before. The legacy of the crown is safe as his destiny moves forward.”

“I am concerned for the red, it would appear he made an effort to suppress his past trauma. With the seal now broken it would appear he is being forced to relive his pain and loss. In such a short time he has been more himself than he has been in years. I fear the opening of old wounds will have him reverting into the cold and callous red wyvern of past reputation.”

Copyright © 2019 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 7
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It seems more than just the young prince was hidden away these past 5 years. Hopefully, with the wounds and emotions of long ago refreshed, but with this present day understanding of nefarious acts, perhaps the good and true will unite in an alliance that will finally end this madness made normal

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The key to their success against the knights...

“You must not let fear drive you. You must not let anger control you. Your mind must be your own. Your will must be absolute.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
raven1

Posted (edited)

Knowing what has caused Jin to be the tough and angry dragon he was explains a lot about him.  I hope that Levi will do the same for Jin that Jin did for Levi when Levi first shifted.  I think it would strengthen their bond.  It would also seem that Bastion and Sage are now allowing their relationship to deepen to something greater than friends with benefits.  Good on them.

Navix's mysterious ally seems to have one more task for him.  After that, Navix will probably be cast aside by the ally.  I wonder if this is the same voice that offers Gillian power?

Edited by raven1
  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I hope Bastion has a good plan. Gillian has chosen a dark path.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..