Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 1,823 Words
  • 1,705 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonborne - 13. Chapter 13

“Welcome one and all to this momentous occasion, an event that could very well change the future for all of those involved.” Thade’s deep voice echoed from atop his podium. “As my fellow kin are aware we typically hold our combat trials within the sacred arenas, however for this unique challenge we will all be observing the participants from afar.”

At that moment Merlin released a chant a giant orb formed in the middle of the arena; within the orb, the participants of the trial could be seen making their final preparations. Hendrix and the council members were in attendance as were various knights and families. Navix however, appeared to be absent having not been seen for some time. “What are you plotting this time you fool?” Hendrix whispered to himself.

Merlin glanced up at his apprentice through the viewing orb “May the fates protect you, young master.”

***       

“Do I have to wear this thing?” Levi complained as Sune made the final adjustments to the battle armor Merlin had given to him.

“This is not up for debate, Merlin left me with these words and instructions.” Sune huffed as he pulled the clasp tight causing Levi to gasp. He placed his hands on the side of Levi’s face and brought their foreheads together. “You are as beautiful as your mother and as fierce as your father, wield her spear with pride and wear his armor with confidence.” Sune grasp Levi’s hands and with a flash, an elegant spear appeared in his hands just like the one the statue of his mother was seen holding.

“I don’t understand, why didn’t Merlin do this himself?” Levi questioned Sune.

“It took time to retrieve the artifact and it was something I also requested to perform personally. There were many things revealed to me during my time away and I understand my role in the bigger picture more than I ever have.” Sune smiled at Levi before embracing him.

Jin observed the pair from afar as he secured his armor in place, a family heirloom passed through the generations and something he did not believe he would be able to wear after losing his mother. Caught up in his thoughts he didn’t realize the two had made their way to him and they began to help with his final adjustments.

“It suits you, and I thought you were scary looking before.” Levi laughed securing the clasped around his back.

“Oh, this red is just a big softy nothing to be afraid of except a face full of smoke.” Sune joked as the final fitting around Jin’s tail was complete. Right on cue Jin blew smoke in Levi’s face and knocked Sune off his feet with his tail as was their usual banter.

“Alright big bully you made your point, how about we help Sune finish securing his attire in place since we so kindly offered you, our assistance.” Levi

“I think. No, I've decided we put Jin in charge of the battle plan,” Levi spoke up much to the surprise of his comrades.

“Before you spout off something stupid” Sune eyed Jin. “Levi are you sure? I mean I would think it would be sort of natural given our history for you to call the shots.” Sune questioned.

Levi shook his head and grabbed the hands of the two drakes before him. “These are my wishes, taking my bloodline into account I believe this is the best course of action.” Levi nodded at Sune before taking hold of both of Jin’s hands. “I know we haven’t seen eye to eye since I came here. At the time I seemed like a stranger to all of you who just waltz through the doors with Merlin beside me. This bravado, this anger, this sadness you hold inside you I understand more than you know and because of that I trust you implicitly.”

The words spoken by the cyan drake warmed Jin to his core and he wanted nothing more than to honor the trust being placed in him. “Of course, I am up to the task. Who do you think you are dealing with. Besides I am the one who hand-picked the twin drakes Vicky and Vincent, to be here with us.” Jin’s false bravado was not lost on Sune as he observed the way the wyvern reacted to the young prince’s words.

“I can’t argue with your wishes Levi, I will support the path you have chosen without further question.” Sune winked at his friend before he continued. “Besides if it all goes to hell at least we can blame Jin” he laughed as he dodged Jin’s attempt to trip him up again.

“Whatever you guppy, just don’t slack off when I give you orders.” Jin scowled.

***       

Levi flew swiftly through the trees, scouting the area for any signs of the knights while covertly placing various runes around his route. After several minutes with no obvious signs of the enemy, he perched himself on a tree and expanded his senses. “They must have something concealing their presence, this could be trouble if we cannot locate them soon.” Levi thought to himself. He spread his wings to continue moving when he noticed movement at the edge of his field of vision. He quickly withdrew his wings and let himself fall.

I think I got one. The way that one fell they don’t seem like they are going to be up for the challenge.” a knight boasted as he ran forward away from Bastion to claim his prey. “I could have sworn he fell somewhere around here,” Gert questioned as he looked for his target.

Bastion felt on edge, something about this didn’t sit right. He drew his blade just before Jin’s arm blade made contact. At the exact moment, he heard the knight scream out in the distance. “Damnit, he walked right into this trap but that may have worked out in my favor.” Bastion thought as he clashed blades with the red wyvern. This was not the ideal situation; the wyvern’s physical prowess far exceeded his own and his fire arts would be pointless in this situation.

Jin grinned as he locked eyes with the knight then quickly blew out a cloud of smoke in his face. Jin seized the opportunity to catch the knight off guard, he gripped the knight’s wrist and threw him against a tree before releasing a stream of flames.

Bastion groaned from the impact, acting quickly he pointed his blade at the center of the flames focusing energy at the very tip splitting them around his person. Bastion used the force of the two clashing attacks to launch himself forward hoping the catch the wyvern by surprise with a high-speed assault. Unfortunately, Bastion had underestimated the wyvern’s agility as Jin spun on the ball of his foot swatting the knight down with his tail and grabbing Gert by his face in midair before slamming him down atop of Bastion.

***       

Sage could hear the commotion nearby vaguely aware that was the direction Bastion and Gert had run off to. The plan was supposed to be simple but it appeared Gillian’s brigade wasn’t quite up to the task and that worried him.

“Fancy seeing you again, can’t say I haven’t been looking forward to it.” Sune teased peaking his head from below the water.

“Damnit!” Sage had been caught up in his thoughts and failed to properly take in his surroundings inadvertently meeting the water dragon on his home turf.

Sune went on the attack vanishing beneath the surface before launching blades of water at Sage, who barely managed to avoid the attack. Sune quickly doubled his efforts launching the second wave of blades. Sage released his two short swords from his wrist as he leaped into the air cutting down the attack in an instant however, the water dragon was already one move ahead. The moment Sage landed his leg was ensnared by the water dragon’s tail and he was slammed onto the lake’s surface.

Sage fought through the pain twisting his body to grab hold of the dragon’s tail, using the momentum to fling himself back to dry land. “You are the crafty one, conventual methods of attack will be useless against you.” The water dragon simply shrugged at Sage’s comment not rising to take the bait as he slowly approached.

Sune reacted on instinct concealing himself within a barrier of water as swords of light rained down from all sides. “So, you can wield light magic, called me impressed.” Sune realized too late the knight was no longer in front of him as Sage rose from his shadow and unleashed a blast within the barrier.

Levi watched from above, so far things were moving according to Jin’s predictions. As much as he wanted to jump down and assist Sune he knew he had to stick to the plan. “Alright time for me to proceed to the next stage.” Levi snapped the branch he was perched on with his tail causing him to fall narrowly avoiding the stroke of a blade.

“You are quite pretty up close” Gillian taunted. The knight licked his blade as he eyed the drake. “I can’t wait to get a taste for myself” Gillian teased before rushing forward.

Levi conjured his spear blocking Gillian’s advance, both weapons pulsed when they made contact causing Levi to jump back. Something wasn’t right it was as if the weapons resonated against each other. Gillian smiled at the drake as the blade continue to pulse and change shape morphing into a large claymore. A dark aura emanated from the weapon sending chills down Levi’s spine. Gillian swung the massive weapon with surprising ease sending Levi flying with a rippling wave of energy.

Getting his bearings Levi braced for another strike when two drakes appeared from the shadows aiming for a surprise attack on the knight. “No don’t” Levi screamed out, but Gillian had moved first easily avoiding both drakes before grabbing Vincent by the tail and tossing him into his twin sister. The knight was far stronger than the first time they met, Levi’s senses were telling him he needed to escape and regroup. He activated a warp trap previously set up sending the twins away before Gillian’s blade came down on the pair.

“Annoying tricks won’t save you now” Gillian spun and advanced on Levi. This time Levi ducked low avoiding the swing, placing his weight on the spear he spun and kicked straight up into Gillian’s torso jumping into the air with him launching into a spin kick sending the knight crashing back to the ground. Having momentarily stopped the knight's movements Levi took the chance to make his elapse. Gillian watched the drake fly away; the pretty drake would pay for damage he had inflicted on him and once he was seated on the throne, he would take immense pleasure in making that drake his personal pet.

Merlin and Thade frowned as they observed the trial, Merlin struggling to keep his emotions in check. He knew that blade, having been on the receiving end of its strike long ago. How did this knight come to possess it and who was the true mastermind behind these events.

Copyright © 2019 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 8
  • Wow 3
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is an exciting chapter. These are a well written series of chapters. The plot is interesting and the characters are well developed. I really look forward to the next chapter.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Morgana shows' her hand a bit to early through an inept apprentice!!

“You must not let fear drive you. You must not let anger control you. Your mind must be your own. Your will must be absolute.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

It would seem that the spear and the sword have issues about being used against each other in true battle.  If Levi has his mother's spear, is the sword wielded by Gillian the sword of Levi's father?  I agree with drsawsall that Morgana has now entered the playing field.  The battle is well written and not as unequal as thought.  Who will win? 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
19 minutes ago, raven1 said:

It would seem that the spear and the sword have issues about being used against each other in true battle.  If Levi has his mother's spear, is the sword wielded by Gillian the sword of Levi's father?  I agree with drsawsall that Morgana has now entered the playing field.  The battle is well written and not as unequal as thought.  Who will win? 

Levi saw what his father's blade looked like and this isn't it.

Even with a magical weapon and more strength, Gillian still comes up short.

  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, drpaladin said:

Levi saw what his father's blade looked like and this isn't it.

Even with a magical weapon and more strength, Gillian still comes up short.

Thanks for the clarification about the sword.  I do like this story and will continue to follow the future works in this series.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..