Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 1,372 Words
  • 1,645 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonborne - 12. Chapter 12

“Are you sure about this Bastion? One wrong step could be the death of both of us and I am not quite ready to die yet” Sage squeezed Bastion’s hand to emphasize his point.

“I think this is the best option we have; things are getting too dangerous to leave them as they are. This is the part we are to play so trust me on this.” Sage nodded before letting their hands drop as Bastion knocked on the door.

“Gentlemen, I am honored you have come to pay me a visit I was not expecting either of you to act so soon. I do hope at least one of you has come with good news for me.” Gillian grinned looking at the pair. He gave Sage a wink as he licked his lips thinking of the fun that could be had with that one.

“We will join you however, we have terms of our own before committing to this.”

“Of course, I would expect nothing less from you. Shall we start the negotiations?” Gillian smiled to himself, it looked like things might work out his way after all.

****  

“One day you will be the fiercest dragon of the land you will be the kingdom’s top protector. When the black dragon steps down you will take his place as captain of the guard. You will do us all proud and remind all why the Reds are not to be trifled with.” The young wyvern looked up at his mother one of the best warriors of the kingdom. One’s gender meant nothing when it came to battle prowess, he longed for the day when he would stand at command under the kingdom's famed commandant.

Jin looked out into the night, he hated these thoughts and memories. They served no purpose but to remind him what he had lost. Stirring in his hidden alcove he removed a trinket from its hiding place, the one from his past he was not able to cast aside. He held the shimmering bracelet in his hands an item he had painstaking crafted for the one to meant to be his mate. Tears fell as he gently held the item, remembering the happiness and feelings before falling to sadness. Even now he couldn't remember his face only that dazzling smile and the feelings he once held. “Never Again” Jin whispered to himself he would never feel this pain of loss ever again.

He placed the trinket around his wrist. He then leaped into the air shifting for a flight through the night he was determined to be strong, to face any challenge thrown his way. Jin let out a ferocious roar in pain. Intense anguish hit him, a dark and deep sadness, something he both understood and was confused by as this was not his pain but that of someone else’s.

****  

“Very impressive Sune, your time away from home has served to hone your skills.”

“Thank you, father it’s been an enlightening experience. I do have questions, however” Sune looked over at his father hesitant to broach the subject.

“You mean to ask about the royal prince do you not?” Sune looked up in surprise. “I am sure it was no accident but it would seem access to parts of our past have returned to us as I presume, we are not the only ones to be affected.” Sune’s father took a seat as he anxiously waited for him to continue.

“We once had close ties with the royal family. It was a time of harmony unlike any before. Our rulers were mighty but fair. Loving yet deadly. As you may now be aware you spent a good deal of time within the walls of the palace and it was always quite the ordeal separating you from the prince. After their deaths, our family retreated to our natural borders where we, or rather I deemed it safe as this appeared to be the best course of action agreed upon by the elders. I have never revealed this to you but I am the elder of the water dragons, this fact has remained hidden for fear of making you a target.”

“I figured it out ages ago father, it wasn’t anything so obvious but your secret meetings were not so secret most of the time.” Sune laughed with his father in amusement.

“You always were a crafty little thing. Listen to my words, we must not lose the light and legacy they left behind. Young Levi must be free to make his own decisions be that as our future ruler or something different, but we must not fail them again.” Sune bowed to his father before suddenly falling to his knees stricken by almost unbearable grief that was not his own. His father kneeled at his side looking down on him with a knowing expression.

****  

“You were not ready, that is what you were going to say to me, right?” Levi stood before Merlin after the elder had returned.

“I had no such intention; I knew the time would come and it was something I had no control over. The only one capable of breaking the seal was you. However, I must apologize for placing you and the drakes in danger as I had not realized the possibility of your latent abilities awakening within you all at once. I admit I made a grave error though it seems to work itself out in the end.” Merlin smiled

Levi couldn’t help but feel himself get hot as thoughts of Jin being the one to calm him down in the end. He shook his head before addressing his master once again. “What if I am not meant to lead or decide I do not want to? Is this something I must do?”

Merlin placed his hand upon his pupil's shoulder before lifting his head to face him. “The choices you make are your own, we can all hope that you will take up the throne if that is what you desire but we cannot forget there are many drakes who are vying for the chance as well. Now come with me I believe the time has come for you to visit the final resting place of your bloodline.”

Merlin and Levi shifted and took flight. Levi enjoyed the feeling of the wind passing through his wings, filled with a sense of joy spinning through the air as he flew beside his master. Looking below he was able to take in the kingdom as he never had. Before long Merlin began his descent with Levi close behind.

“Welcome young master, this is where we honor those who have passed and fallen. Our history lay buried and protected here. Often, I spent my days hidden here away; your parents were more than our rulers. They were my dearest and oldest friends.” Merlin expressed sadly as he kneeled between two spectacular statues.

Levi looked on in awe, before him were perfect depictions of his parents from his memories. His father standing tall posed with a blade he had never seen before. His mother atop her platform spear in hand. They were almost lifelike as if at any moment they could strike to defend their lands. Levi kneeled beside Merlin placing his hands upon his mother’s grave. “Here lies her grace Lady Guinevere, our queen who was never behind his majesty but always by his side.”

Tears fell from the young drake's eyes and he clutched on the grave of his mother, a sorrow locked deep came forth. Lost to his sorrow the young prince’s emotions radiated with those close to his heart even from afar. Merlin stood beside him as the young master released grief that had remained dormant and locked away with his memories. The old dragon held his hand close to his chest as the prince’s sadness opened old wounds; he had closed off too. In their time of great peril, he could do nothing but honor their wishes. He embraced Levi, the young prince turned and sobbed in his master’s arms. Merlin looked upon the grave of his grace. “I will not fail you again King Arthur, I promise you” Merlin swore to himself as he held the sobbing prince close.

Copyright © 2019 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 12
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So sad, shuttered from his natural life and memories without the chance to grieve and say fair well; his grief is much as if freshly imposed by those losses long held at bay.

The heart bond seems to be strong for Levi and Jin, now for the minds eye to open to what the heart feels and knows as true.

oh my, what is Bastian gambling now? Hopefully, his game is strong and he remains lawful and ethically true.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
On 12/15/2021 at 5:36 PM, drsawzall said:

I get the feeling Bastian is setting up Gillian, Navix and ...gasp...Morgana!!!!

It's my feeling too.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I really can't say it any better than @Phillip said. He was spot on.  I also hope that as dangerous as it sounds that @drsawzall is correct.  Another compelling chapter well written. Thanks Xfighter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..