Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 1,219 Words
  • 2,064 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonborne - 7. Chapter 7

“He has improved a great deal since that time you and the master did battle with him.” Sage observed.

“He has used his time amongst his kind to hone his skills. It would be reckless of us to try anything against them unprepared. We should be keeping an eye on him.” Bastion commented as they trailed beyond the entourage of knights.

Sage and Bastion along with the rest of the knights continued the tour of the grounds being led by the imposing black dragon. Gillian having trailed behind the group caught the tail end of the conversation and confronted Bastion.

“You were already aware of that drake’s abilities and you let me make a fool of myself; you were always jealous that you lacked any attachment to the notability you probably enjoyed seeing me fall.”

“I don’t care much for your ego or title, do not seek to blame me for your inadequacies.”

Bastion brushed his hand aside catching sight of the drakes coming up from the rear. They were all so different from the knights, some didn’t look to be a threat at all while others gave off imposing auras. Sage’s words played in his mind, judging these beings based on their appearance alone would only serve to hinder their advances.

“We are guests here we should act like it, know the proper time and place. Also, you might want to be sure you have the skills to take on an opponent if you are going to be the cause of conflict.”

Gillian stayed behind the group his anger and frustration growing. “Power, if I just had more power these fools would dare speak to me this way. They should be made to bow before me.” He slammed his fist against the wall.

***  

“Esteemed guest we hope this will serve to bring our kingdoms together as one once again. With joy in our hearts, we look forward to this being the year of celebration where we will come together as one when a new ruler ascends.”

Thade’s voice boomed throughout the room, this was the first time outside of the clans that there were any mentions of restoring the lost family. It had been years since the tragedy which befell their kingdom, and in that time the elders retreated into isolation. The return of Merlin served to ignite hope within the clans that the others would return as well.

“So, it looks like our leaders were correct, they are indeed moving to restore the royal order and return to the times where these lands were ruled as one. We can’t let that happen, it’s time for the knights to be the ones to step up and bring this kingdom to order under our control. Even our master’s move too slow, the new generation will be the ones to fulfill our rightful place.”

“Chill out Gillian, I thought I told you before time and place. We are on their home turf making any foolish moves would only bring disaster not victory. Of course, if you believe yourself to have some grand plan be my guest and take the lead. Though I think the blow you took to your body and ego would be enough to make you reconsider your arrogance and foolishness.”

Gillian stormed off as the others parted ways as well. Bastion gazed out over the land from the balcony, so many things were going through his mind. Is this the right path, for the first time in his life he questions the true motives behind the idea of ruling this land? He hated to admit it but being so easily outclassed by dragonborne who didn’t even have full knowledge of his abilities was quite the humbling experience and the others were just as stronger if not stronger.

He ran his hands through his hair before returning to the room. His head had been filled with ideas, tales, and aspirations which just seemed so out of place now that he was here his view was falling apart. Perhaps the opposite was happening and he was expanding his horizons.

***  

“Someone has been holding out on us, clearly you are more than capable of handling yourself in a fight.” Sune was draped across Levi’s shoulders. Drakes of all kinds seemed to have taken an interest in him over the last few days. Jin hated watching them make fools of themselves to garner his attention. Even some of the knights seem to be eyeing the boy.

“You should be more worried about the next round of trials and not getting into that runt’s pants.” Jin scowled.

“Oh, don’t you fret big boy. I know I understand the part I will play. The supporting role something or other, besides the throne, is not my cup of tea. Now being a trophy husband, that is something I could get used to.” Sune had yet to remove himself from Levi and wrapped his tail around the boy's waist.

“Are you implying that the runt is going to be our next leader?” Jinn felt his inside grow hot watching Sune shamelessly throw himself at Levi. His nostrils flared as thoughts rushed through his mind which he immediately cast aside.

“Don’t you worry your pretty little head I am not implying anything, but I wouldn’t mind the cushy seat next to my big strong mate”

Mate! The word alone made Jin’s blood hot, who was he to imply anyone could pick Levi as their mate. Jin scowled as he stalked off letting the cyan drake drift from his thoughts.

“You don’t have to talk about me like I am not here. Any of us could have handled the overzealous bunch just as easily, I was just particularly worked up. Now if you would excuse me, I shouldn’t keep Merlin waiting.” Levi extracted himself from Sune before bidding farewell to his companions.

Bastion and Sage observed from a distance. The more time they spent together with these drakes the more they did not match up to the lore he was raised on. Sage began to see the change in Bastion but was not quite sure what to make of it. After all, the effect of being around these creatures seemed to be intoxicating at times and utterly frightening at others.

“We may differ on opinion, but I think we should hold off on any further reports back to the council. I would like to formulate an opinion of my own not shrouded in the bias we grew up on. It all just appears so much different than the tales we have been led to believe.” Bastion whispered unsure of how his companion would respond.

“I’ve been around them a bit longer, I agree with your assessment however, I am surprised to hear something like that coming from you given your history them or rather Levi as it appears, he is called.”

Bastion quickly surveyed their surroundings before he continued.

“I just feel like we have been placed on the playing field as pawns for something much bigger than either of us. When the shit hits the fan and the real players make their move, I want to be sure I am on the right side of the field or even on the field at all. I detested being used, my desire to be the best, and come out on top I took on more than I could handle at the behest of someone who did not have the best of intentions in mind. I won’t be made a fool of again.

Thank you reader for sticking with me, I hope to keep bringing you more adventures with these characters. Feedback is always welcome. Love it or hate it. It is how we improve
Copyright © 2019 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 7
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Please do keep writing more adventures with these characters. The writing is excellent and the characters you develop entertaining. I look forward to further chapters.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I see many parallels here between Levi and Arthur (Wart) in The Once and Future King. Merlin's intent is clear; like with Arthur, he is crafting a leader.

Bastion and Sage are far from the dedicated pawns they seemed when we first met them. They have their own thoughts and are willing to follow them. Gaining Levi's trust after their first encounter will be tricky.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Bastion is using his intelligence to recognise the bias to dragons he was taught is not reality.  He is maturing nicely.  Sage also appears to be reassessing what he has been told.  Jin definitely is both powerful and ambitious.  I think he wants both the crown and Levi.  Very engaging characters that add interest to the story.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/5/2022 at 10:13 PM, raven1 said:

Bastion is using his intelligence to recognise the bias to dragons he was taught is not reality.  He is maturing nicely.  Sage also appears to be reassessing what he has been told.  Jin definitely is both powerful and ambitious.  I think he wants both the crown and Levi.  Very engaging characters that add interest to the story.  

This is my second read and I am surprised I miss this.

Quote

Mate! The word alone made Jin’s blood hot, who was he to imply anyone could pick Levi as their mate. Jin scowled as he stalked off letting the cyan drake drift from his thoughts.

 

All those confusing feelings Jin has and then this!  Jin will definitely be drawn to Levi more and more until he realizes he wants Levi for his own.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..