Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,023 Words
  • 240 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Amber Waves - 16. Chapter 16

AMBER

“As of the first of Lenaer in the year 1440, all students attending public schools from the age of 20 down shall be permitted one class period a day for physical exercise. In addition, the registration of any student suffering from Aera Saleinus and living in a pack house as listed under Amber’s Law 1329c shall be ended so long as the student is under the age of 20 and still living under pack law. This law has passed by a vote of seven to five.”
Amber set the sheet of paper aside, holding back a slight smile as she studied the table of advisors.
“This council is dismissed. General Soria, I would like to discuss the troubles with the Mydara-Ythin border. Please give me an hour to prepare, and I will meet you in my office,” the queen said.
“Yes, your Majesty,” a woman said as the rest of the table rose.
Slowly, the room emptied, until Amber was left alone with Aaron. She expected to see a grin break out over the elf’s face. His reforms had been working, slipped into legislature that the lords and ladies couldn’t possibly deny. This had been one of his more daring pushes, yet it had passed. He should be ecstatic.
But Amber only saw a weight pressing down on her son’s shoulders.
“It’s been over a year, and still I feel I’m fighting King Finley tooth and claw,” the elf said quietly.
“The world rarely gives in easily,” Amber soothed. “You are doing wonderful Aaron. Better than I could have imagined. Look at what you did today. You protected the joys of childhood for millions across the continent, and more than that, you ended the registration of werewolf children.”
“I did damage control,” Aaron spat. “I fought against a bill that had no right being voiced, let alone penned. Who would force adults to sit in one place for eight hours a day, let alone children? It’s barbaric! And then to put children in harm’s way for being born with a disease…”
The elf bit his lip, falling silent. Amber pulled him into a firm hug, one that Aaron returned a moment later. She couldn’t say anything he didn’t already know, and it hurt to see the elf’s pain. But he had to learn how the world worked. Yes, he was the prince, she was the queen, but they were largely powerless in the face of politics. It was an important lesson to learn early.
“You should get cleaned up. We’re entertaining the Ceosans tonight at dinner,” the queen said finally.
“Dinner’s in six hours. Why do I need to get ready so early?”
“Because you look like you need some time to calm down. And you have to look your best tonight.”
Aaron scowled, but stepped back.
“May I extend an invitation to Itumak? He should be back from his exercise by then,” he said.
Such an invitation would fly in the face of the elven dignitaries who would be at dinner, and Amber knew it would both help Aaron’s image as a prince of the people while hindering Amber’s attempts at soothing relations with the elves. Itumak had yet to be at a formal dinner, but the queen trusted Darren would have taught him something about dinner etiquette, and more than that, he was Aaron’s best friend.
“I think that would be acceptable. But please remind him that his… pastimes… should not be attempted on the children of the dinner guests, even if they are of legal age.”
Both Amber and Aaron cringed, remembering the furious letter that had arrived after Itumak had dumped Lord Khuyag for Renshin. Amber was certain the Niwo hadn’t been faithful to the Askani either; his tendencies to jump from partner to partner had caused her some stress over the past year. She’d been lucky to assuage Lord Zulzaga’s rage, and even more lucky to do it without causing a scandal for the Palace Guards. Worse, in her opinion, Itumak had gotten off free; Captain Darren could hardly punish him for a scandal that was supposed to remain quiet for all involved.
It still left things rather strained between the Ythin and the crown.
“I will make sure he refrains from any particularly lewd urges,” Aaron promised.
Amber hesitated for a moment, studying her son.
“How have you been with those urges? Captain Darren mentioned they are rather strong, even for him.”
“I don’t think about them,” Aaron shrugged.
The queen’s eyes narrowed.
“You don’t think about something werewolves are famous for?” she asked sharply.
“My wolf feels more primal, like a hunter or something,” Aaron replied. “I guess lust doesn’t occur to him as much as feeding.”
Amber closed her eyes, thinking back to the last full moon.
“Aaron, you don’t eat a lot. Have you been starving yourself so your wolf focuses on food?”
“No,” the prince said, stiffening slightly.
“Aaron, don’t lie to me,” Amber scolded.
Aaron’s posture slumped, a sigh slipping out of him.
“Rape is a terrible crime. But so is murder. And that’s what would likely happen if you continue to starve yourself,” the queen said. “Find a better way.”
“Yes Mother,” Aaron said.
“You might talk to Quarian. He’s half elven and a werewolf. I’m sure he’s been around long enough to have some advice.”
“I’ll do that,” Aaron said, in a voice that made it obvious he had no desire to broach this subject with anyone.
“I trust you will do what’s best for everyone, regardless of the personal cost.”
Her own tone made it clear Amber was not asking Aaron to fix the problem, she was demanding it. Aaron scowled, but bowed before leaving the room.

ITUMAK

The white wolf rolled in mud, smothering his coat as best as he could. His scent was covered by a skunk he’d frightened, the caustic acid covering his backside and leaving his nose to try to sort through the smells of the Queenswood.
He had fifteen more minutes to hide before he’d be hunted down by a pack of bloodthirsty werewolves, and Itumak wasn’t going to waste that time.
Racing toward the river that flowed through the woods, the wolf launched himself at a low tree, his claws propelling him upward before catching on a branch. He leapt from the branch, catching himself on another tree branch across the river before dropping to the ground. It was a difficult move as a wolf, but he wasn’t allowed to shift, and Itumak was reasonably sure no one would expect a wolf to cross the river in such a manner. Hopefully it would cause some confusion.
The skunk had taken off on the other side of the river, and now the wolf focused on spreading its stench on this side, relying on the creature to create a false trail for him. He still made sure to cross his own path multiple times, stepping carefully to avoid leaving any tracks or tufts of fur.
As he moved through the woods, the neko werewolf heard a chorus of howls, warning him that his fifteen minutes was up. He was being hunted now, and a thrill of terror ran through Itumak. He tried to repress the emotion, knowing it would leave pheromones that could be picked up later.
He put the second part of his plan into action now, smothering the worst of the smell with mud before heading back to where he knew there was a small den. Marking it with urine, the wolf continued on, visiting several sites he’d picked out from a map of the area.
Finally, the wolf marked another small cave, before heading into the depths. He felt his way around carefully, letting his eyes adjust to the darkness. Staying just out of sight, Itumak settled down, biding his time until he was found. With luck, that wouldn’t happen, and the wolves looking for him would think this was just an empty cave.
His mind ran through the lesson Captain Darren had given them the week before, not sure if he had missed anything. Itumak was startled when a shadow passed through the sunlight at the cave entrance, and he held his breath.
The shadow was only growing; he had seconds before the wolf would be on him. Itumak stood up, leaning against the wall of the cave as he waited.
A red wolf’s head appeared around the corner, scanning the room warily. Her eyes passed over Itumak blindly, but a low growl rumbled through her; a warning. She could smell him.
Silently, Itumak leapt forward, knocking Aime off her feet. She let out a yelp, trying to scramble back out of the cave, but Itumak wasn’t letting up. If the fight left the cave, she’d have the advantage.
“Enough!”
Captain Darren’s voice rang through the cave, and the two wolves parted quickly, both panting and wincing from minor bites and cuts.
“You lose Itumak.”
The white wolf grumbled; he hadn’t lost. If this had been a real fight, Aime would be dead.
“There are four werewolves at the entrance of the cave. It would be a simple matter for them to starve you out, taking rotations to stay fresh,” Darren pointed out.
How had they found him so quickly? At least half of the wolves should have followed the skunk!
“You might want to remember that skunks don’t climb trees for fun,” the captain of the guard added.
Itumak let out a huff, making his way out of the cave. He shut his eyes against the midday light, letting his eyes adjust.
“Prince Aaron has asked you to join him for lunch. It is… unfortunate that you chose to let a skunk spray you. Aime, take Itumak back to the barracks. The rest of us are going to track Renshin down. Hopefully he’s a little harder to find than you,” Darren added.
Itumak bit back a growl, following the red wolf out of the forest. Soon, they were trotting through the city, down streets Itumak didn’t recognise. He never came out this far from the palace.
Aime bounded up a pair of steps in front of an apartment, and Itumak let out a surprised grunt, following the other wolf. They pushed through a wolf door, and Itumak found himself in a large living room.
The red wolf shifted as soon as she was inside, stepping further into the apartment.
“Come on. I doubt the barracks have the supplies to eliminate skunk spray,” she said, motioning for Itumak to follow her.
Shifting back into his neko form, Itumak frowned as he followed the woman.
“And you do?”
“I’ve had run-ins with skunks before. Besides, this is a great reason to get you naked in my apartment,” Aime smirked over her shoulder.
“Uh…”
His footsteps faltered, the neko staring at the naked woman in alarm.
“Oh come on, you’re not going to tell me it’s your first time with a woman, are you?” Aime scoffed. “You’re supposed to be this worldly, sexual beast.”
“Yeah, with guys,” Itumak protested.
“Still, I wouldn’t think it matters much. Or do you really have no desire to seduce me? Our wolves are practically howling for it.”
Itumak couldn’t deny that; his dick was rising steadily. But there was no sense of raging hormones from Aime. She smelled almost as nervous as he felt, under the stench from the forest.
“Somehow, I don’t think you want me to seduce you,” the neko frowned.
“Isn’t it enough that I want to explore with you though?”
Itumak shrugged.
“I guess. I mean… I am curious about being with a girl.”
“Well, why don’t we get you all nice and clean, and then we can both satisfy our curiosity. And don’t worry, I’ll have you back at the palace in time for dinner.”
The neko followed Aime into the bathroom, his nerves bubbling in a way he hadn’t felt in over a year.

AARON

The half elf leaned against the counter, studying Aaron for a moment. Aaron was tense, every muscle twitching as the other werewolf stared at him.
“No one has ever brought up wolfsbane with you?” Quarian asked. “Shuts down your wolf. Many wolves say it’s harmful. I’ve used it several times myself, no problems.”
He pulled a flask out of a pocket, handing it to Aaron. The prince sniffed at it, a primal part of his mind cringing instinctively.
“I don’t like it.”
“No, you won’t,” Quarian said soothingly. “It goes against your wolf’s nature, and someone who uses it too much can drive themself insane, if they don’t kill themself. It is a poison, to both people and wolves, but in miniscule doses, liberally watered down, it can be beneficial.”
“And you have a flask full of it?”
“Yep. That way I always have some on hand for emergencies.”
The half elf took the flask back, tucking it back in his pocket.
“If you need bane, I’m sure Captain Darren could help you get some, your Highness.”
The use of his title snapped into Aaron harshly, and the elf straightened up, a frown on his face. He certainly had not been acting like a prince should.
“I’ll ask him about getting some wolfsbane,” he said. “Thank you for your help.”
“Of course, your Highness. I was in your situation once. It takes time to learn our wolves, and the bane can help ease the journey.”
Quarian bowed low. Walking quickly from the library, Aaron hurried through the palace and outside. A glance at his phone showed he still had three hours before lunch, but Captain Darren said he was taking the wolf guards out for training. Who knew when he’d be back? But there was always a wolf on duty. Surely they’d have some wolfbane stored for emergencies.
Knocking on the wolf barracks door, the prince stepped back. The door opened quickly, and Greggory appeared in the entrance. The neatly pressed azure uniform clashed with the wolf’s red hair, and his brown eyes spoke of a brief annoyance, quickly stifled. A tv was playing somewhere, and Aaron could hear the sounds of swords clashing. He fought the urge to ask what was playing — this was the werewolves’ home and he would respect their privacy.
“Your Highness.” The werewolf bowed.
“I need wolfsbane. Or… a vial of it. At least a dose,” Aaron said.
Greggory’s eyes lifted. He stepped aside swiftly, granting the prince access to the barracks.
“Your Highness, have you taken bane before?”
“No.”
Greggory stepped toward a fridge, and pulled out a vial of liquid.
“Wolfsbane is best used on the full moon,” he warned. “If you use it too often, you will get sick. It will also make it impossible to shift. There’s a good supply of it here for your use — we rarely use bane ourselves.”
“Why is that?” Aaron asked, taking the vial.
“Captain Darren prefers to have the Wolf Guard out in force on full moons, to comb the Queenswood for new werewolves. Many wolves head there to hunt during their first shift, if they’re not preoccupied with mating.”
Aaron winced at that thought, and Greggory frowned.
“Forgive me, your Highness. I forgot you prefer to keep that side of lycanthropy undiscussed.”
“It’s fine. Um… how much am I supposed to use?” Aaron asked as he turned the vial in his hand.
“A full vial on the full moon. But if you’re looking for peace of mind, I’d suggest no more than a drop at breakfast. Possibly with a two day break between.”
“That seems… rather extreme,” Aaron said dubiously.
“Your body will burn through the poison much faster during the full moon,” Greggory explained.
“I still can’t believe I did that!” Itumak’s voice turned Aaron’s head. The neko was strolling toward the barracks with Aime.
“Oh, like you’ve never licked anything before,” the woman scoffed. “Did you really expect to avoid any foreplay? What is wrong with guys?”
“That’s the way it always worked before,” Itumak protested. “I feel cheated.”
The two froze at the door. Aime bowed quickly.
“Your Highness.”
“I didn’t realise Aime was your type, Itumak.” Aaron smirked.
“Oh, she’s not. At all.” Itumak’s face screwed up. “But you never know unless you try.”
“Is Captain Darren on his way back?” Aaron asked, steering the conversation away from Itumak’s nocturnal — now diurnal too, apparently — activities.
“He said he was still hunting Renshin, your Highness,” Aime said quickly. “Itumak chose to use a skunk as cover, so we went back to my apartment to remove the stench. And… Well, things got a little carried away.”
“And how did Itumak do?”
“He wasn’t that awful- Oh, the hunt.” Aime’s face burned red. “We found him pretty fast. Climbed a tree for whatever reason.”
“I thought I could confuse the trail,” Itumak grumbled. “What are you doing here? If you need to go for a run, I’m sure we could fit one in before dinner.”
“No, I just needed some wolfsbane.”
“Fuck.” Itumak pulled a coin from his pocket and slapped it into Aime’s hand.
“What was that?” Aaron scowled.
“Had a bet that you wouldn’t ask for bane,” Itumak said.
“Wait, you knew about the wolfsbane?” Aaron demanded. “And you didn’t think to tell me?”
“Oh.” Itumak’s ears flattened. His tail whipped behind him as he glanced at the ground. “Uh… yeah, that would have been the smarter choice, I guess.”
“Your Highness, many of us believed Captain Darren had already discussed wolfsbane with you,” Greggory interjected. “Granted, I would never stoop so low as to place a bet on you being too stubborn to take it-” Aaron glowered at Itumak. “-but this is a simple matter of miscommunication, not malicious intent.”
“Right,” Aaron muttered. “I’ll see you at dinner, Itumak. Greggory, thanks for talking me through this.”
“It was my pleasure, your Highness.”
Greggory and Aime bowed. Belatedly, Itumak joined them. Aaron snorted, stepping from the barracks. He knew the neko wasn’t being malicious. Itumak was that dumb to not think about telling Aaron about the wolfsbane. But it didn’t matter. He had the tools he needed to deal with the wolf now.

Copyright © 2022 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Itumak is certainly getting around, he'll get himself in trouble if he's not careful. Aaron needs to learn to like his wolf.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Itumak is certainly getting around, he'll get himself in trouble if he's not careful. Aaron needs to learn to like his wolf.

They're both coming into their own, but they still have a long way to go.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

It looks like the grass isn't greener on the other side street...

Our two boys truly need to carefully navigare their new and expanding world!!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..