Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 596 Words
  • 201 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Amber Waves - 30. Epilogue

AARON

“My fellow Astarans, it is with the greatest sorrow that I announce the death of Queen Amber, at 2:55 this morning.”
Read the speech. Look at the cameras. Do not cry.
Aaron walked numbly through the palace, barely acknowledging the people around him. Servants bowed. Lords offered their condolences. He accepted them without thought. Every action felt artificial.
He wasn’t the king of Astara. Aaron was a small boy. The world enveloped him, dark and terrifying. He couldn’t go on. Not without his mother.
The eastern dining room sat shut. Aaron set his hand on the brass door handle. Amber sat beyond, the queen of Astara. He was scared. How could he ever hope to be like her?
His hand fell.
“A light has been snuffed out. A warrior has been felled. And the world is darker for her absence.”
Read the speech. Look into the cameras. Do not cry.
Aaron stood before his office. Amber’s office. Her portrait still sat above the desk. He refused to let it be moved. It was childish, selfish. But once the painting entered the Hall of the Dead, his mother would be gone forever.
He turned his back. Walked away.
The mantle of Lynestra swept the floor behind Aaron. Its weight was fast becoming unbearable. He couldn’t stand to look at the cheerful colours. Tradition required him to honour the gods as the dead journeyed to their final resting place. For Queen Amber, the tradition would be adjusted. Lynestra received her due on the first day, to allow the deceased to say goodbye to the sun. Luminara followed as the moon bid the departed farewell. Tareth was next, their river bringing the soul to Zasar’s graveyard, where the lord of the dead would welcome her with a warm hug, and congratulations on a life well lived.
Aaron stood before the council chambers, watching Amber argue with Lord Sarin one last time. A bell tolled in the distance, each chime driving a spike through his heart. The sun was at its zenith.
A hand touched his shoulder. Aaron turned. Itumak looked at him, tears in the neko’s eyes. Aaron embraced his friend, holding him close.
“We do not fear death. Zasar awaits all with patient love. What we fear is loss. The loss that steals loved ones from us, that separates us until our own time comes. Until our time comes, we must walk the path of life, with a piece of our heart missing.
Read the speech. Look into the cameras.
He cried.

ITUMAK

He needed to walk. To clear his head. To manage the agony of seeing Aaron cry.
Glass shattered as Itumak passed Captain Darren’s apartment. The neko froze. His ears swivelled, listening for any sound, any hint that someone was trying to break in somewhere.
Itumak approached the door. He raised his hand to knock, then decided against it. Opening the door quietly, Itumak stepped inside.
Into a puddle of wine.
Captain Darren sat against the wall with his legs drawn into his chest. His face stopped Itumak’s heart. The captain never cried. Never showed any emotion.
Yet he was curled up among the remnants of a shattered bottle. Tears streamed down his face, A choked sob brought tears to Itumak’s own eyes.
We are ships adrift at sea, our paths crossing in the light. Buffeted in each other’s wakes, we offer support, but in the end we have our own fight.
Itumak pulled Captain Darren into his arms. The two held each other, mourning the loss of a woman who left waves.

And so ends Amber's journey.
This was a really difficult story for me to write. It had its moments of humour, sure, but it was always going to be a sad story. I am grateful to everyone who stuck it out with me, and rode the highs and lows of this story.
Copyright © 2022 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 9
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you for the time and effort to share this tale with us. I am remis in not reading the previous segments and will do so!

I hope good fortune allows us to follow King Aaron, Itumak, and Captain Darren in future adventures.

This was well done, brilliantly conceived, and a joy to read!!!

Thank you!!!! 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Thank you for the time and effort to share this tale with us. I am remis in not reading the previous segments and will do so!

I hope good fortune allows us to follow King Aaron, Itumak, and Captain Darren in future adventures.

This was well done, brilliantly conceived, and a joy to read!!!

Thank you!!!! 

If you're interested in continuing Aaron and Itumak's journey, The Alliance is the sequel to Amber Waves (though it was written first, so might have some rough patches in terms of continuity).

I'm glad you enjoyed the story :)

  • Love 3
Link to comment

That was a sad ending, even though we knew it was coming. Thanks for the journey.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, VBlew said:

That was a sad ending, even though we knew it was coming. Thanks for the journey.

This is definitely another one of my stories that makes me tear up when I think about it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..