Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,016 Words
  • 989 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Amber Waves - 8. Chapter 8

ITUMAK

 

“Shit…”

Itumak held up his hands in a peaceful gesture, trying to placate the black furred neko before him. A glass of whiskey sat on the table between them, Ren’s tumbler bone dry.

“The elves keep fucking pushing me around and I’m sick of it!” the Askani snarled.

“Yes… the elves are a pain,” Itumak said, his eyes glancing around for a waiter. “Come on Ren, we haven’t tried the food here yet. It’s not smart to drink on an empty stomach.”

“Ha… told you I don’t drink… I’m going to the bathroom…” the neko slurred, standing up. “Don’t… don’t move…”

“I’m stuck right here,” Itumak promised, setting his own half full tumbler aside.

Who would have thought Ren was a lightweight? Itumak knew the neko didn’t like alcohol; he always chose water over wine with his meals. Apparently it wasn’t a matter of taste. The Askani had gotten more and more agitated the more he drank.

“Well… this experiment failed…”

His head spun at a sudden crash, an elf falling into the table with Ren.

“Fuck…”

Instantly the entire bar was aflame with rage, werewolves rising to defend one of their own from a neko clawing and biting. Itumak rose with them, his body weaving into spaces between the wolves until he was standing between them and Ren.

“Renshin, stand down!” he snapped, grabbing the Askani’s shoulder.

A fist caught him in the jaw, and Itumak felt the rush of his wolf as he was injured. He let out a growl, lifting Ren from the booth he was in. Pinning the neko against the wall, Itumak snarled at the Askani.

“You will stop at once. Control yourself. Naia would be disappointed in you right now.”

The rage in Ren’s eyes only seemed to intensify, and Itumak raised his arm, catching the neko’s swinging fist. He twisted Ren’s arm around, spinning the neko as he strong-armed him out of the booth.

“Where the fuck do you think you’re going?”

Itumak let out a groan as Marisa stood up behind them. The elf spat out a broken tooth, blood pouring from her mouth as she raised her fists.

“Out for a walk to clear the air.”

“Like fuck you are. I’m going to beat the shit out of that cat-”

Itumak’s grip tightened on Ren as the Askani tried to twist out of his hold.

“Call me a cat- I’ll fucking kill you!”

“Marisa, look at you. You can barely stand. Let us go and the guards won’t know that you got your ass handed to you by a drunk neko,” Itumak said, setting his arm over Ren’s mouth.

He let out a pained grunt as Ren bit his arm, but Itumak refused to let go, forcing his arm deeper into Ren’s mouth so the other neko couldn’t bite properly. The Niwo made a mental note to thank Captain Darren for the lessons in subduing people later. For now, he needed to get Ren out of the bar and back to the palace.

A glob of bloody spit hit Itumak’s face, the neko twisting his head to flick the worst of it off.

“If I ever see either of you in here again, I’m gonna string you up by your tails and see how many whacks it takes with a club to break you open,” the elf snarled.

“Noted,” Itumak grunted, marching Ren out of the bar.

“You should have let me finish her! Fucking elf started it, knocking me over-”

“Yeah sure, let you kill someone in a bar fight. That would look really good. Why, Captain Darren would probably promote you for it.”

The Niwo grunted as he mentally plotted their path home. The Queenswood was open to the public, but if he took that route, they’d be walking through miles of dark forest to get back to the palace. He wouldn’t make it back to the apartment until midnight.

Glancing at Ren, Itumak let out a quiet sigh. The dark neko was covered in bruises and bleeding from a split lip. If they went back to the barracks like this, he would get in trouble.

“Come on, follow me.”

Keeping ahold of the Askani’s wrist, Itumak started walking, dragging Ren up the street. They passed under streetlights, Itumak careful to avoid the few drunks that loitered near the bars. It took a few minutes before he pushed Ren through a fence, following a moment later. The Niwo led Ren toward a large building, slipping into a loose window. Ren followed him through the gap, tumbling as he fell off the windowsill with a hiss. Itumak caught the Askani, carefully lowering him to the ground.

“Wait here. Don’t move,” he breathed, before darting through a door.

The building was laid out before him, a familiar maze. The neko slipped through the hall to the temple, passing into a side room as he wrinkled his nose at Zasar’s offerings. Grabbing a sheet of paper, Itumak scribbled out a note before setting a silver coin on top of the paper. Then he set about gathering a bandage and antiseptic before creeping back to Ren.

To his eternal relief, the neko had listened. Ren’s head twisted in drunken curiosity as Itumak returned.

“I know this place…” he slurred.

“You better. We lived here for nearly fourteen years,” Itumak snorted, dabbing a cloth at Ren’s lip. “Okay, listen to me. If anyone asks, we were breaking up a fight at the Wolf Den.”

“What? No, I was fighting-”

“No, you’re confused. Marisa was fighting another werewolf, you stepped in to make sure no one got injured,” Itumak said slowly, trying to make sure the story would stick in Ren’s mind.

“I… I’m confused…” Ren agreed with a frown, rubbing his head. “I was angry at Marisa-”

“-because she wouldn’t listen when you told her to back down,” Itumak explained.

“Oh. That pissed me off… I should have controlled myself. Fuck… I fucked up Itumak. Naia would be so angry if she knew…”

“No, it’s my fault,” Itumak sighed quietly. “From now on, no more alcohol for you. I shouldn’t have made you drink. I’m sorry Ren.”

 

AARON

 

Aaron pulled on the Prince’s Raiment, letting the velvet blue cape fall across his shoulders. The weight of the fabric comforted him, giving the sensation of a reassuring hug as he finished his preparations. A silver circlet went on his head, the same silver coronet that had adorned royal heads for centuries, dating back to the days of Paelius Serande himself.

The metal burned at his skin, and Aaron knew he would have a massive headache by the end of the day. But he had to wear the crown, for tradition’s sake. And it was miserable.

A quiet knock on the door reminded him of the late hour, and Aaron let out a long sigh. He crossed the room and opened the door, acutely aware of his cape brushing over the floor behind him. The palace floors were clean, he knew, but the cape would still be filthy by the time he took it off tonight. Just another victim of tradition.

“Your Highness,” a guard bowed. “The queen expects you at the throne room in ten minutes. There is a quick breakfast prepared for you, if you are hungry.”

“No thank you,” Aaron said quietly.

The elf walked down the halls of his home, descending the stairs before making his way through the back pathways that were kept from the public’s eye. It wasn’t long before he was standing in front of the side entrance to the throne room.

Aaron took a deep breath, opening the door as he exhaled. Crossing the short distance to the thrones, he studiously ignored the eyes of dozens of onlookers, dropping into a bow before his mother. Her hand bade him to rise, and Aaron took his place in the silver chair beside the queen’s golden throne.

And the day began. A tradition as old as the Crown itself, people in the lands laying their problems on the throne. In modern times, most of the issues were easily dealt with by the local guard, but there were still issues over whether someone had paid their landlord, or a quarrel between lovers. Amber dealt with most of the concerns, showing Aaron what it meant to be the people’s ruler.

But there was one issue brought before him, late in the day, that Amber turned to him.

Itumak and Ren knelt before the queen and the prince, Darren standing behind them with a scowl on his face.

“Your Majesty, your Highness, these two were involved in an altercation last night at the Wolf Den bar. Ren has admitted to his guilt in the matter, though Itumak urged him to lie in an effort to cover up the issue,” Darren announced. “As palace guards, their punishment would normally be dealt with by myself. However, Itumak requested that you be the one to lay down judgement, your Highness.”

Aaron scowled at the white neko, Itumak doing his best to look innocent. It wasn’t going to work, and Aaron knew Itumak knew that. Leaning back in his chair, Aaron let out a quiet sigh.

“Captain Darren, can you please explain what punishment would befall Itumak and Renshin if they were to face the justice of the palace guard?” he asked.

“They would be confined to their quarters for no less than two weeks, your Highness,” Darren replied evenly.

Aaron nodded, thinking quickly, This was all Itumak’s fault, and he knew it. Itumak knew it. Ren wasn’t innocent by any means, but he likely had been forced to drink by Itumak. The prince knew how persuasive Itumak could be.

“It is my understanding that this is Renshin’s first offence, correct?”

“Yes, your Highness.”

“Yet it is Itumak’s second time breaking the rules of the guard.”

“That is correct, your Highness.”

Aaron took a deep breath, looking at the dark neko.

“Renshin, you will be confined to your quarters for one week, with one exception. Every day, you will clean the barrack restroom by hand, on your own.”

“Yes your Highness,” Ren said quietly, bowing low.

“Itumak, you will report to Naia’s orphanage to perform a hundred hours of community service, to be completed no later than two months from now. When not helping the orphanage, I expect you to spend your hours cleaning the wolf barracks from top to bottom. If you are going to lead people into being societal menaces, you will take responsibility for them.”

Itumak glared at Aaron, his fists clenched.

“But I never-”

Darren stepped forward, the man’s hand grasping the back of the neko’s neck.

“You will not talk back to royalty. Apologise.”

Aaron could almost see Itumak’s brain working, trying to find a way to convince the elf not to be so harsh with his sentence. But finally, the neko lowered his head in defeat.

“Forgive me, your Highness. I accept your punishment,” he said quietly.

Darren pulled Itumak and Ren to their feet, pushing them back toward the entrance to the hall. Aaron held himself rigid, staring at the back of the nekos until they were gone.

Suddenly Amber was rising, the queen motioning for Aaron to stand.

“Court is adjourned,” Amber called, stepping off the dais the thrones sat upon.

Aaron followed her at a steady pace, the two vanishing through the side door. As soon as the door was closed, Amber wrapped her arms around the elf.

“I’m proud of you Aaron. You did well in sentencing them. Many people know Itumak was your friend. I believe it will relieve them to know their prince doesn’t play favourites.”

“I wasn’t too harsh on them, was I?” Aaron asked quietly.

“Oh no. Well… perhaps a little. Community service is the punishment for a bar fight, but the one Captain Darren described this morning would have warranted only fifty hours.”

Aaron winced, letting out a sigh.

“I guess I shouldn’t have let the whole werewolf thing cloud my judgement.”

“Probably not. But you are learning. That’s the important thing here,” Amber smiled. “Now why don’t we go work some of this tension off at the gym?”

 

AMBER

 

Cool water ran down her throat, Amber taking a moment to catch her breath. Even just a walk was tiring, her lungs struggling to get enough oxygen. Beside her, Aaron jogged in his wolf form, legs working on staying on the actual treadmill as he moved.

The queen’s eyes stared out the window, Amber stepping back onto the treadmill carefully. She began walking again, keeping to the pace she’d been told was the best for maintaining good breath control while exercising. The setting sun cast an orange glow on the wall of the gym, a glow that would slowly fade to darkness. A sense of peace overtook her. This was by far the best time of day.

A knock at the gym door turned her head. Finley stepped into the room, silver hair shining in the dying light of day. Amber offered her father a smile as the neko stepped onto the last treadmill, beside his family.

“Don’t make too much of this,” the dowager sighed. “I just… I know he’d be ashamed at how I’ve let myself go the last ten years.”

“Whatever your reasons, I’m glad you are here, Father.”

Finley let out a quiet scoff, walking slowly.

“Don’t be too happy. I’m here to remind you that you have another test in the morning,” the neko said.

“Ugh, do I have to?”

“Does the queen have to check on her health with a tumour in her lungs? I don’t know. Prince Aaron, do you think your mother has to go to the doctor tomorrow?”

Aaron nodded on the other side of Amber, and the queen grunted. Her hands gripped the bars of her treadmill, eyes glancing at the two walkers on either side of her.

“No loyalty to be found in family, I see.”

“Not when your health is at stake,” Finley said sternly.

“And what of you, Father? You’re getting up there yourself,” Amber noted.

“If it would make you feel better, I will see about having a check up myself. But I’m not taking Jennifer. I’ve cost too many mages their lives.”

“I’m sorry Father. I didn’t mean to bring up painful memories.”

The trio walked on in silence for a minute, Amber working on her breathing quietly. It was a hard effort, building up her lungs again as her body tried to destroy them from the inside out. But she was not going to give up. Far too many people depended on her; there was no way she could just roll over and accept her fate. Queen Amber would keep fighting.

“I do think your lungs are improving though,” Finley added finally. “You haven’t coughed at all today.”

“I suppose I haven’t,” Amber smiled. “I’m so used to coughing, I didn’t even notice I’d stopped.”

“I did notice,” Finley said with his own smile.

A loud grumble followed his words, a growl escaping Aaron’s maw. Amber looked out the window, sighing quietly at the sight of a drone hovering over the nearby cliff.

“Aaron, I want you to head back to your room to change,” Amber said. “We don’t need another full moon rising over the palace.”

Finley grunted at that.

“Fuck, it’s been nearly thirty years and I’m still hearing shit about that.”

“Because it’s a great story,” Amber chuckled.

“Huh. How about this for a story. Dowager Moons Cameraman? Or even better, Dowager throws rock at drone. I thought the damned things couldn’t get on the property.”

“It’s not on the property, it’s over the cliff,” Amber pointed out, shutting off her treadmill. “Still annoying, but technically it’s not breaking any laws. I wonder if we could get a hawk to build a nest over there.”

“Or just have a guard take the thing out with a rifle,” Finley muttered.

“Oh, sure, why don’t we give the people more reason to hate the royal family. I’ll get Darren to look into more protections on the cliff after his vacation. The operator’s probably at the bottom of the cliff; he doesn’t exactly have anywhere else to stand.”

“I thought Darren wasn’t on vacation until Lenar,” Finley frowned.

“Mental health days. He’s having some issues with the werewolf transition.”

“I still think that was a stupid idea. There’s already a werewolf to watch Aaron in this form; why couldn’t we just speed him through guard training?”

“Because the werewolf in question is a friend of Aaron’s and runs the risk of having his emotions come between himself and the person he’s supposed to protect,” Amber pointed out. “No offence to Itumak.”

Aaron huffed at the thought, nosing his treadmill off. The werewolf stepped off the machine and went to gather his clothes before heading out of the room.

“You say he’s friends with the neko? That huff didn’t sound very friendly to me,” Finley scoffed.

“They’re going through a transition phase of their own. Aaron had to sentence Itumak for a crime earlier.”

“And he did the old, “I want you to be my manservant” bit, huh?”

“No, he was more mature than that and gave Itumak a hundred hours of community service at their old orphanage,” Amber denied, following the wolf from the room.

“Really? You’re going to call your own father immature like that?”

“Oh come on Father, you were barely eighteen at the time. Absolutely immature.”

“Bold words for someone in their twenties,” Finley scoffed.

“Late twenties, and I am very much still a child,” Amber snorted.

“Ah yes, the child who throws tantrums in council meetings. I thought that was you.”

The queen laughed, shaking her head as she walked up a flight of stairs.

“I need to get ready for tomorrow. I’ll talk to you later Father,” she said.

Finley nodded, heading toward his own rooms. The neko paused for a moment, looking back at his daughter.

“Don’t forget about the drones,” he called.

“I won’t Father. I promise.”

Copyright © 2022 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 10
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 2/15/2022 at 2:24 PM, chris191070 said:

I loved the drunken bar fight, never thought I'd see a Niko involved in one.

Drunks? Hmmm 🤔; This could so quickly and easily devolve into the more offensive slang references of….cat fights with pointy eared devils, while the wolf gets credit for the unfortunate setup… Oops, he did it again, some call him trouble, but Aaron calls him friend.

However, with the harsh sentencing, will their relationship improve or will it further strain their already strained relations?

Aaron has to also learn more compassion and understanding. How much did his shunning his best friend contribute to the unbounded and frustrated behavior? Aaron is not being the best friend either and many friendships get destroyed by lack of two-way  compassion and communication.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..