Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,196 Words
  • 203 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Amber Waves - 28. Chapter 28

ITUMAK

Aaron stood in his underwear. No, Prince Aaron. Itumak closed the door to the prince’s suite softly. The two stared at each other for a moment.
“Sorry about this,” Aaron shrugged. “Someone was supposed to help me with the robes. I have no idea how to actually wear them.”
“It’s okay, your Highness,” Itumak said.
“Your Grace.” Aaron’s lips turned upward slightly.
“Captain Darren put me in charge of your personal protection. He’ll be busy with overall security,” Itumak explained, remaining by the door.
“Come here.”
The neko approached the elf, stopping a foot in front of him. Aaron pulled him closer, embracing him tightly. Itumak tensed up — he hadn’t expected Aaron to want him here. They’d been frosty toward each other since they’d returned from Mydara two months ago.
“I’m glad you’re here with me,” the prince said.
“I’m glad I’m here too,” Itumak said, wrapping his arms around Aaron. “Gods blast it, you’re going to make me cry, Aaron.”
“Out of which eye?” Aaron asked, looking down pointedly.
“Shut up and hug me.”
“I don’t think you’re supposed to tell the king to shut up.”
But he squeezed Itumak close anyway. They held each other as long as they could, before someone knocked on the door.
“Who is it?” Itumak called.
“The royal tailor, sir.”
Itumak opened the door, letting the elf enter. The tailor dragged a rack behind him, covered by a black cloth. Itumak rolled his eyes. Who cared if someone saw the fancy new coronation robes before it was time? It wasn’t like this was for Aaron’s benefit; they’d dressed him in the robes yesterday to make sure they fit properly.
“Your Highness.” The elf bowed. “Will your guard remain in the room?”
“Yes,” Itumak said firmly before Aaron could speak. “Captain Darren’s orders,” he added as Aaron was about to protest.
“I was going to say yes,” Aaron growled.
“I know, but this lends validation to your decision. If the head of security wants me to stay, no one can kick me out.”
Aaron rolled his eyes. He pulled a silk shirt over his head, and stepped into a pair of pants at the tailor’s direction.
“Are you sure he needs the robe? He looks pretty fucking regal already.” Itumak whistled. “I can think of at least thirty people who’d want to-”
“Itumak, bite your tongue,” Aaron growled.
“As you wish, your Highness.” Itumak bowed mockingly. He stuck his tongue out, and pressed his teeth against it. Aaron groaned and the neko snickered.
“How could I even think you might be serious on the most important day of my life?”
“Oh please, you’ve basically been king for the past month already.”
Aaron glowered at him. Itumak frowned; his words hadn’t been untrue. Amber had left much of the responsibilities of rulership to Aaron-
“Oh gods. I’m sorry,” the neko said. “I didn’t think-”
“That’s the story of your life.” Aaron sighed, holding out his arms so the tailor could set the heavy royal blue robe on him. “Instead of heckling me, go get me some toast. I haven’t had anything to eat today.”
“I didn’t hear a please.”
“Ugh… please go get me something to eat. Preferably without crumbs.”
“Right away, your Highness.”
Itumak bowed again, smirking. He reached up and pressed his mic.
“Prince Aaron would like some toast brought to his room.”
“Understood,” Ren said in his ear.
“Will you require anything else, your Highness?”
“Shit, I forgot you could do that,” Aaron muttered as a scarlet sash wrapped around his waist.
“Captain Darren told me not to let you out of my sight today,” Itumak said. “I don’t plan on going anywhere. Oh!”
The neko reached into his breast pocket and pulled out a couple of vials. He handed one to Aaron.
“Bottoms up.”
Uncorking the vial, Itumak gulped the wolfsbane, grimacing at the taste. No matter how often he drank the potion, it never tasted any better. Then again, he rarely drank it — Itumak was always on Prince Duty during the full moon. Now he would be on King Duty.
Aaron handed his empty vial back to Itumak, his face screwed up. Itumak plugged the bottles, and tucked them back into his pocket.
“Gods that stuff is nasty.”
“It’s better than you shifting in the middle of your oaths,” Itumak pointed out.
“I didn’t say it wasn’t necessary. Just nasty,” Aaron retorted, holding out his hand.
A ring with a large emerald slipped onto his first finger. Another ring followed with a sapphire, and another with a ruby. A fourth ring rested on Aaron’s pinky, jadeite, nephrite, and turquoise all sharing space equally on its face. All four areas of Astara sat on the elf’s hand, and all three neko capitals were well represented.
“Do you think the gems are big enough?” Aaron scoffed, wriggling his fingers.
“I dunno, I can still see a bit of fingernail on your middle finger.” Itumak pointed.
“Is everything comfortable, your Highness?” the tailor asked.
“It is,” Aaron said. “This will come off before the Homage Ceremony, right?”
“No, your Highness. The robe will remain on until after your speech, as will the rings.” the tailor denied. “Your mantle will be removed for the ceremony, then restored for your speech.”
“Don’t worry, your Highness. I can carry your weight if you get too tired,” Itumak smirked.
“Itumak, gods help me, I will smack you with my ring hand.”
“With all due respect, your Highness, these rings are priceless heirlooms from before the Rebellion,” the tailor said quickly.
“You got lucky,” Aaron growled at Itumak.
“Have I ever mentioned how hostile this work environment is?”
Aaron bit his thumb, only adding to Itumak’s laughter.

AARON

“I, Aaron Etaro, Third of my name, do solemnly swear, before the Council of Lords, to govern the peoples of Mydara, Ceos, Khorsa, Sami, Sarelin, and Astara, in accordance with the laws passed down from those before me. I swear to uphold the separate traditions of the aforementioned lands.”
Aaron stood tall before the throne. His hand rest on the Codex of Law, a symbolic tome representing the aeons of laws that governed Astara, held by Lord Sarin. The elf met the man’s gaze with confidence, not breaking eye contact.
“Do you swear to rule these lands with justice?”
“I swear to rule these lands with honour, justice, and mercy.”
“Will you rule these lands with equality, never putting one race above the others?”
“I swear to govern human, neko, elf, mage, and werewolf with equality, and never subject any to bias due to race or gender.”
“Will you uphold the freedom of religion, and set no one deity above another?”
“I solemnly swear to never infringe upon the rights of religion in Astara. I swear that I will uphold the freedom of religion, and never let one religion dictate the law of the land.”
Lord Sarin took the Codex from Aaron. He turned to the golden throne, where Amber sat with the royal crown upon her head.
“Queen Amber, please rise.”
Amber stood, and walked down the short steps to stand beside Aaron.
“Amber Etaro, by the power invested in me by King Finley, may his soul rest in peace, I formally revoke your title of Queen of Astara, and bestow upon you the title of Dowager. Long live Dowager Amber.” Lord Sarin lifted the heavy crown from Amber’s head, and turned to Aaron. “Aaron Etaro, by the power invested in me by King Finley, may his soul rest in peace, I formally bestow upon you the title of King of Astara.” The crown lowered onto Aaron’s head, and the elf took a deep breath as Lord Sarin let the crown rest. “Long live Aaron the Third, King of Astara.”
Dozens of nobles around the room applauded. Aaron turned to his mother, a small smile on his face. He and Amber stepped upon the dais, and Aaron took the golden throne as Amber claimed the silver throne.
Lord Sarin knelt before Aaron.
“Your Majesty, allow me to be the first to affirm my oath to you. I, Lord Sarin of Ceos, do solemnly swear my fealty and loyalty to you, King Aaron Etaro, king of Astara, for all the days of your rule, as I served Dowager Amber, and King Finley before her, may his soul rest in peace.
“I swear to be faithful to the throne, and to defend the realm against all threats to the best of my ability. I shall provide you with counsel, and I shall preserve the realm’s interests with your grace.
“So do I swear by the sacred traditions of the land, before this congregation and King Aaron, rightful king of Astara.”
Aaron held out his hand. Lord Sarin leaned forward and pressed his lips to the ruby ring.
“Rise, Lord Sarin of Ceos, First Lord of the Council. Know that I will hold you to your oath to defend Astara and all its people. I will not fail to reward your loyalty, nor to punish your disloyalty.”
Lord Sarin rose and bowed, slowly backing off the dais. He stepped to the side, and King Aaron rose.
“My lords, my ladies, I am deeply honoured by your presence here today. The crowning of a new monarch is a significant event in Astara’s history. Before we move forward, I wish to break for refreshments, to ensure everyone maintains their comfort. There will be a luncheon held in the banquet hall so all may partake in food and drink. We will commence with the Homage Ceremony in an hour’s time.”
Turning to Amber, Aaron motioned for his mother to rise. Together, they walked from the throne room, and into an antechamber reserved for the royals.
“I’m so proud of you, Aaron.”
Amber embraced her son tightly, Aaron returned the hug, trying not to think about how thin she felt under her layers. This day would not be ruined by sorrow; Amber would not want it to be.
Lord Sarin stepped into the antechamber, and Aaron and Amber broke apart.
“May I offer my congratulations, your Majesty?”
Aaron smiled, nodding carefully. Lord Sarin lifted the heavy crown off Aaron’s head, and set it into a glass case. He removed a simpler gold circlet, and offered it to Aaron. The elf took the band. Placing it atop his head, he smiled bitterly. Even just this little circlet felt like too much. In all likelihood, Aaron would not wear it again until the day his daughter was crowned. But the day called for extravagance, and he was expected to have a crown on his head for the rest of the day.
Aaron was just grateful he’d been able to talk the crafter out of adding a point with a gem for each major city in Astara. The gems were there; he couldn’t deny the symbolism they carried, especially for an elf. But they were much smaller than originally planned.
“Before we join the luncheon, I have a matter of religion I would like to discuss with both of you,” Aaron said quietly, pulling himself from his thoughts. “Lord Sarin, are you familiar with a god named Tareth?”
“Aaron,” Amber warned. “That name has not been uttered in public for centuries.”
“I’m afraid I do not know any deity by that name,” Lord Sarin said.
“They are a Niwo god, devoted to love, and some say revenge. I do not believe the latter. There is only one record of a priest devoting himself to revenge. Jasper, the Red Ghost of Sarelin. The religion was outlawed at the end of the Rebellion.” Aaron looked at his mother, frowning at her troubled expression. “Mother, Lord Sarin, I took oaths in that throne room that I did not take lightly. For centuries, one of the most important neko religions has been illegal. I wish to decriminalise it, and give the nekos back their religion.”
“Aaron, their worship was banned for a reason. A reason that cannot be ignored,” Amber reminded him.
“Yes. A plot set in motion by one neko who worked alone. His plot is lost to history. The elves who might remember the Rebellion are all dead. We have evidence calicoes are still keeping the religion alive. None of them have followed Jasper’s example.”
“Then these nekos are breaking the law, your Majesty. The law you just swore to uphold,” Lord Sarin pointed out.
“A law that could be revoked by the sitting council,” Aaron pressed. “Queen Erin the First is long dead. Any claim she has over her law is null and void. It was a law based in racism.”
“It was a law made to protect Astara,” Amber said tightly.
“It was a law based in racism,” Aaron repeated. “Again, the religion never stopped being followed. And the Red Ghost never had a following among those who would still remember him. Having an elven king reverse the law made by an elf would show the nekos that their interests are being looked out for. It will show the elves that they cannot get away with attacking the nekos any more.” The king of Astara adjusted his sash. “And this is me bringing it formally to attention. I will have a more concrete defence when we convene the council, Lord Sarin. I am merely bringing it up now as a courtesy.”
Amber sighed quietly.
“Aaron, I’m proud of you,” she said again. “You are tackling major issues, and your reign isn’t even an hour old. I know you will do great things. Bring your proposal before the council. I will hear you out.”
“As will I, your Majesty.”
“Thank you,” Aaron smiled. “I think we’re fashionably late enough. Shall we go get some food?”
“Let’s.”
Amber set her arm across the elf’s shoulders, pulling him into a side hug. Aaron smiled, and made his way from the room. Yes, he had big plans for Astara. But they could wait. Today, the world celebrated.

AMBER

Quarian Karis was in attendance.
Amber was mildly surprised. Usually the half-elf avoided major events like the coronation of a new monarch. Too many painful memories, she supposed.
For him to be here today was a little unnerving. But he had every right — he was officially a Merchant-Knight of Ceos, even if he held no official position in the city council. Beyond that, unless Aaron revoked it, he had an open invitation to the palace.
Amber turned her mind from the half-elf. Today was a happy day. She didn’t want to spoil the mirth. If Quarian wanted to pay his respects to Aaron, that was his business. She had never required it of him.
Lunch was spent listening to gossip. If there was anything Astaran nobles loved, it was the chance to get dirt on each other. Amber smiled wanly at Lord Khuyag and his son. She… she couldn’t remember his name. Yet the smile remained on her face. Don’t let them see you falter. She was not immune to dirt, even if she was no longer queen.
Amber and Aaron returned to the throne room ahead of the rush. She fixed a soft smile on her face, one she could hold for hours if necessary. There weren’t that many nobles offering fealty to Aaron; the majority would be covered through oaths to their respective city council. Those councils would be the ones directly responsible to Aaron as king.
It still meant there were nearly a hundred nobles pledging their loyalty to the king today. Amber watched as they jockeyed for position, each eager to be the first to show their support.
She leaned forward, watching one individual. Quarian knocked into a lord, catching the neko before he could hit the ground. Profuse apologies were offered, forgiveness given, and Quarian stood in line. To anyone watching, it was innocent; an accident, nothing mere.
Amber knew better. Something was coming.
She motioned to Captain Darren, standing guard near the thrones. The man was by her side in an instant.
“Is something wrong, Dowager?”
She’d have to get used to the title. It would take time, but familiarity would come. Amber focused on the issue at hand; she could worry about such frivolities later.
“I need you to remain close. Do you recognise Quarian?”
“Yes, Madam.”
“I think something is about to happen. He is a friend, but he may bring bad news. We need to be prepared.”
“As you say, Madam.”
Captain Darren stepped back. He remained close, not hovering, but available.
“I, Lord Khuyag of Khorsa, do solemnly swear my fealty and loyalty to you, King Aaron Etaro, king of Astara, for all the days of your rule, as I served Dowager Amber.”
The neko hadn’t gotten any slimmer. The drought didn’t seem to affect him as it had his people. It disgusted Amber, the things nobles got away with just because they were born to the role. Sure, she could make an effort to depose him from his seat on the Khorsan council, but for that to succeed, she would have to get the people of Khorsa to vote for some other noble to take his place. It was rare for a sitting lord to be removed from power. And Amber doubted she had the time to do that.
“I, Quarian Karis, do pledge my fealty to you, King Aaron Etaro.”
His words were measured. He had a schedule in mind. Amber tried to breathe freely. Whatever the half-elf wanted, she trusted him.
Quarian kissed the ruby ring on Aaron’s hand, before turning to Amber.
“Madam,” he said quietly. “Are you well? It appears you might need some air.”
No… no, nothing could happen. Not today.
Amber took a deep breath.
“I believe you are correct, Sir Quarian. Captain Darren, would you please join me?” she asked.
“Of course, Madam.”
“Aaron, please continue the ceremony. I promise I will return when I am able.”
She took her time. Didn’t rush. Quarian had a schedule. He knew when to speak. Whatever was happening wouldn’t happen until she was out of sight of the nobles. And Amber thanked the gods for that. The half-elf frightened her. But he had always held Astara’s best interests at heart. The newly made dowager dying in the middle of the Homage Ceremony was not in those interests.
Another breath. Another step. Like a convict walking to the gallows, Amber made her way to the antechamber she and Aaron had used before the lunch.
Something punched her. She sucked in a deep breath, squeezing her eyes against the agony in her chest. Amber would make it. She would not collapse. Not yet.
The door closed, shutting out the throne room.
“Captain-”
She sucked in another breath. No air came.
“Madam?”
“Can’t-”
Her hand clutched at her throat. Amber sank to the ground, falling back against the wall.
“Amber?!”
The world darkened. Her chest thumped. Fire burned in her lungs as they screamed for air.
She was floating. Strong hands held her close, her face pressed against a chest. By some miracle, she sucked in another breath.
“Captain… don’t leave me…”
“Never,” Captain Darren breathed. “I’ll always be here for you.”
The world went dark.

Copyright © 2022 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh my goodness...could it truly be this soon, we know it is coming...hang in there Dowager Amber...

I still don't trust Lord Sarin, I keep thinking a pound of C-4 tucked up his backside and pushing him out of a plane at thirty thousand feet before detonation...it would be one way to honor his wish to be above all!!!

  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..