Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,036 Words
  • 1,125 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Amber Waves - 10. Chapter 10

ITUMAK

 

The neko let out a long sigh as he closed the door behind him. A week of nonstop work, and he still had more to go. The barracks were clean of dust, but he still needed to get Captain Darren’s approval for new beds, fix the plumbing, get the lighting changed out… it was a never ending list. And now, thanks to Aaron, he couldn’t even ask for help to get it all done. Adding that list to the four daily hours of community service at the orphanage…

“Fuck, I get it Aaron. I shouldn’t have made Ren drink. But you didn’t have to slam me like this…” Itumak groaned.

“Yeah, I kind of did.”

The prince’s voice dragged a yelp out of the neko, Itumak’s fur standing on end as Aaron stepped out of the myriads of shadows that filled the barracks.

“The place doesn’t look that bad, considering it’s had the barest maintenance for the last thirty years,” Aaron said, looking around.

“What are you doing here, your Highness?” Itumak ground out.

“Oh don’t take that tone with me,” Aaron sighed. “I came to apologise. Both Mother and Dowager Finley informed me that I was far too harsh with my punishment.”

“You don’t say…”

“Look, Itumak, I didn’t have to come out here. I could have let you complete your punishment as I handed down.”

Itumak frowned, staring at the elf. Aaron actually seemed upset, and the neko knew his friend. If he was upset, it wasn’t on his own behalf. Aaron was upset for Itumak.

“I fucked up. I get it. We both know Ren was relatively innocent,” Itumak said. “You did right by him; Captain Darren’s already noticed he seems a little more disciplined.”

“If that neko was any more disciplined, you could mistake the stick up his ass for his tail,” Aaron snorted. “Do you know how fucking lonely it is in this damned palace? No friends, no one to hang out with. If I try to talk to the servants, they flee in terror. No one likes elves here.”

“Heh, none of the elves like nekos either. One of the guards was all mouthy when I was asking about Ren last week,” Itumak scoffed.

“You’re supposed to report that to Captain Darren,” Aaron frowned.

“So he can do what? Punish the elf and make him more bitter toward the people who obviously ratted him out?”

“I will not have racism running rampant around here. Even Dowager Finley is messed up with that shit. It’s like the only one with any fucking sense around here is Mother, and even she has to play the bad guy to keep the elves on her side,” Aaron blurted out.

The prince took a deep breath, checking a wall before leaning against it.

“I want to know who’s been mouthing off. I will personally see them-”

“You can’t,” Itumak interrupted. “You can’t play favourites, remember?”

“For fuck’s sake Itumak! This isn’t about playing favourites! This is about sending a message! No one is allowed to be discriminated against, not while I’m prince, or king, or whatever. I will die on this hill if I have to. Now I want names!”

Itumak sighed quietly, shaking his head.

“Nelson and Irithan,” he said.

“You can expect an apology from them in the next two days. If you don’t get one, I will personally see them kicked from the guard,” Aaron growled.

“This isn’t going to solve anything. You understand that, right?”

“Do I understand that one act won’t solve years of racism, years of hatred? Yeah, I get that,” Aaron sighed. “But it’s a start.”

He turned toward the door, pausing a moment later to look back at the neko.

“Mother rescinded the punishment. You have been pardoned,” he added. “If it ever happens again-”

“Oh don’t worry. I’m never going to that bar again. Marisa would kill me,” Itumak chuckled.

“I suppose she would,” Aaron laughed quietly.

“I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too. I’m sorry I got all butthurt about the werewolf thing.”

“Don’t be. If I had known, I never would have had sex with you,” Itumak said. “Is everything going okay with your shifts?”

“I’m getting better,” Aaron shrugged. “You?”

“Captain Darren and I have been practising together. I know he’s supposed to be my guardian or whatever, but fuck, he has an amazing body for being nearly thirty.”

“Hey, stop drooling, you’ll mess up the floors,” Aaron scoffed.

“Oh like you’ve never noticed him,” Itumak pouted.

“Nope. I try not to fall in bed with my guards.”

“Too late.”

“That hardly counted. You weren’t a guard at the time, and we weren’t in a bed. Besides, you’re barely a guard now,” Aaron snorted.

“Ouch. Why don’t you just decapitate me, Prince Aaron? It would hurt less.”

“Oh grow a thicker skin, Lord Itumak.”

The neko’s eyes twinkled in amusement, and both he and Aaron let out twin laughs.

“So, forgive me?” Itumak asked.

“Done,” Aaron said, stepping toward the neko.

Itumak let out another sigh, of relief this time, as Aaron’s arms wrapped around him. He held his friend close, remembering all the times they fought before. They always made up, and Itumak knew he’d never trade Aaron for any other friend.

“Itumak, I swear to the gods, if you pop a boner right now, I will cut it off and shove it down your throat.”

The neko laughed, shaking his head.

“Yeah yeah, we both know you have one going already,” he scoffed. “I guess you better get going, before anyone accuses your guard of seducing you.”

Aaron smacked the back of the neko’s head, Itumak flinching in mock pain. The elf headed to the door, shaking his own head.

“Wow, such an aggressive work environment!” Itumak laughed

“Shut up…”

“Hey Aaron. I really am sorry. For… you know…”

“Yeah. I know.”

Itumak stared at the elf, their eyes holding in a moment of silence. Finally Aaron opened the door, and stepped outside, leaving Itumak alone in the barracks.

 

AMBER

 

The prince sat in front of his mother’s desk, Lord Sarin and Dowager Finley at his side. A somber mood hung over the room. Everyone in the room understood what was happening, what was at stake.

A pen scratched through the silence of the room, Amber’s hands steady as she signed the order granting temporary power to Lord Sarin for one week. If the worst came to it, Aaron would be signing another order already penned by Amber, declaring the man his regent. The queen prayed her son would not have to sign that order.

“I will be leaving late tonight. I should be gone no longer than a week,” Amber said quietly. “Aaron, you are to stay here and work on your studies. I’ll be safe with Jennifer. If anything goes wrong, she will be in touch with Captain Darren, and he will help you through what comes next.”

Amber had already gone through the entire plan with him; she just needed to do it again for Lord Sarin’s benefit. The queen knew the risks. She also knew that she would be stuck in bed for much longer than a week, even if she made it through the surgery.

She finished signing, setting the pen aside.

“Effective immediately, Lord Sarin is the Lord Regent of Astara. He will rule on the council in my stead, under the supervision of my son. He will teach my son the responsibilities involved with ruling the kingdom. If I die, Lord Sarin will remain Regent until Aaron Etaro reaches the age of maturity, nineteen years old as befitting an elf. At such time, Lord Sarin will hand rule of the country to the rightful heir to the throne.”

“Understood, your Majesty. I can assure you I will take the utmost care in governing,” Lord Sarin said, glancing at Aaron. “The prince will be in safe hands until your return.”

“I will hold you to that, Lord Sarin,” Amber said quietly.

She stood up, the three across from her rising along with her. Elf, human, and neko, all representatives of their races, and witness to her orders. Amber had faith that her father would see her orders through.

“I will be in my room. Please see to it that I am not disturbed,” she said quietly to her father.

“As you wish,” Finley replied.

Amber stepped from the room, the door hanging open behind her. She made her way through the palace, entering her room a minute later. The queen took a moment to stop and breathe, letting the fear wash over her in the safety of her own room.

A knock on the door startled her, and Amber let out a quiet groan, turning to open the barrier. Captain Darren stood on the other side, his face a stony visage as he bowed slightly.

“I gave orders that I was not to be disturbed.”

“Forgive me, my queen. I… I had to see you,” the werewolf said quietly. “May I enter your room?”

Amber nodded silently, stepping aside to let the guard into the room. She closed the door behind Darren, her eyes watching the man in concern.

“Captain Darren, this may seem weird coming from me right now, but are you feeling alright?”

“Your Majesty…”

The guard took a deep breath, shaking his head.

“Your Majesty, I… I did some thinking this last week. It was difficult being away from you. At first I was hoping I just missed working, missed having something to do. But it’s more than that. My wolf…”

Darren bit his lip, visibly struggling with what he was saying.

“Your wolf has a claim on me, doesn’t he.”

Amber let out a sigh of her own.

“I accept your claim, Captain Darren-”

“No!”

The man shook his head violently.

“No, your Majesty, you cannot accept my wolf’s claim. I cannot serve you faithfully if I am also the prince consort. Please… I’m not… I cannot claim you as my mate. I will not claim you as my mate.”

Amber stared at her captain, her eyes wide. To have a werewolf willingly back out of a claim on his own… she didn’t think she’d ever heard anything like that before in her life.

“You do not wish to claim your mate? You are voiding all attachment in the name of your wolf?” she asked quietly.

“Please understand, your Majesty, it’s out of love,” Darren said, his stony façade crumbling before his queen. “If I claim you, I cannot serve as your guard. I cannot protect your son. I would be in contention with Lord Sarin as Regent while you are recovering-”

“I… I understand. But Captain Darren… have you thought about what this means to me? The night before I go into a life saving surgery, you are laying a confession of love on me and simultaneously telling me you cannot be with me.”

“I know, your Majesty. And it breaks my heart to do that to you. But I cannot in good faith continue to serve you while harbouring thoughts that you cannot return-”

“Hold a moment, Captain.”

Amber stepped closer to the man, her head tilting up slightly as she met the werewolf’s eyes.

“I cannot tell you how often I have thought of you in the past years. How much you have come to mean to me. You are more than just a guard. Even before you became a wolf, I saw through your shield, to the gentle, caring side, the loyalty with which you gird yourself. And I have never not wanted to be with you, mate claim or not,” she said quietly. “Please, Captain. Permit me this one indiscretion, and then I will leave you to attend to your duties.”

Reaching up, the queen cupped her guard’s cheek, gently pulling his lips down toward hers. They met silently, tenderly, and parted a moment later.

“I would not wish to face death without at least a kiss,” Amber chuckled quietly.

Darren nodded silently, before wrapping his arms around his queen.

“Please forgive my weakness, your Majesty. But you will always have my strength to lean on, mate or not. I could offer no less for my liege.”

 

AARON

 

The prince watched the car pull out of the palace gates, his mother hiding under an illusion. His legs dangled from his balcony, his forehead pressed against a narrow baluster as his eyes followed the car until it was out of sight.

Barely three months into being heir to the throne, and Aaron was already faced with the prospect of becoming king in three years time. It was almost too much to handle. He couldn’t just sit here, waiting for fate to catch up to him. He had to do something, anything.

Aaron pulled his legs out of the railing, standing up smoothly. He stepped back into his room and closed the door behind him, covering it with the curtain before leaving his room behind.

The prince wandered the dark halls, lights shut off for the night with everyone else asleep. He found himself outside the library, and Aaron tried the door. Locked, and the key was with either Jason or Alisa. He wasn’t sure which, but Aaron was not about to disturb them at home.

Instead, he headed out of the palace, his shoes crunching across gravel as he made his way to the captain’s apartment. Knocking on the door, Aaron stepped back and waited.

To his surprise, the door opened a moment later, Darren standing just inside.

“Your Highness. How may I be of service?”

“I can’t sleep. I was hoping a run might help. Is Itumak awake?”

Darren frowned slightly, glancing back into the apartment.

“I’m sorry your Highness, but Itumak stepped out about an hour ago. Bar hopping again, I assume.”

“Fuck… I let him off with a warning and already he’s right back at it.”

“If it’s any consolation, I do not believe Renshin went with him this time,” Darren offered. “If I may, I would be happy to join you for a run.”

“Thank you Captain,” Aaron replied. “I hate to keep you from your sleep, but I need to let my wolf out.”

“I understand, your Highness. Give me a moment to dress properly, and I’ll walk with you to the barracks.”

Aaron nodded, stepping back as the door closed. Less than a minute later, it opened again, Darren stepping outside in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. He nodded toward the barracks, and the two started walking.

“I am sure the queen will be okay,” Darren said quietly.

“I know. But that doesn’t help my anxiety, and my wolf can feel it. He… he seems way too… primal.”

“Not all wolves are the same, your Highness. I’ve seen werewolves that use their shifts to calm themselves, I’ve seen shifts used to let out rage, anger. Did you know Jason Farin’s mate is a therapy wolf? He uses his form to help people who have suffered from wolf related trauma.”

“No… I didn’t know that,” Aaron frowned. “Is that common?”

“It’s become more common as werewolf numbers grow. I remember back in the Wolf Patrol, we’d see wolf violence rise closer to the new moon than the full. With the full moon, you’d see more… sexual based crimes.”

“Rape,” Aaron said.

“Yes. It is why Dowager Finley started making all werewolves register. It was just after Prince Zaddis’ death, if I remember correctly.”

Aaron frowned thoughtfully as they approached the wolf barracks. An idea was forming in his head, but he wasn’t quite sure he could pull it off.

“Captain Darren, I assume you know enough to answer this. Did wolf-related crime rates drop after werewolves were registered?”

“Actually, yes,” Darren said. “But there was a marked increase in anti werewolf crimes.”

“How so? I would assume any registration lists wouldn’t be made public,” Aaron pointed out.

“Well, no, but if you think about it, by forcing all werewolves to register, Dowager Finley was openly showing support of anti wolf measures. People started thinking they could get away with those crimes. This was not long after the Silver Hand was put down, and anti werewolf sentiment was rather high at the time. Higher than normal, at least.”

“If I were to repeal that law…”

Aaron trailed off, thinking silently.

“Your Highness, if you were to repeal that law, you would show yourself as a champion of werewolves. It would be a very political statement. Personally, I think it would be a great thing to do. But it would earn you a lot of enemies. This is definitely not something to do lightly.”

“Since when is it political to do the right thing, Captain Darren?” Aaron asked quietly. “I’m not concerned with making enemies. I assume I will have plenty in my life, if I don’t already. I just want to make sure I’m actually helping people, not hurting them.”

“Your Highness, one thing I learned on the streets is that you cannot help everyone,” Darren replied gently. “It’s a harsh truth in life. If you leave the law alone, werewolves will be upset. If you repeal it, werewolves might take advantage of their freedom.”

“That’s a might against a will, Captain. We both have a stake in this matter. But more than that, I have a duty to do what’s best for my people,” Aaron sighed. “I’m just a prince though. I don’t have much power yet.”

“On the contrary, your Highness. You have the queen’s ear. More than that, people will be looking to get on your good side before you take the throne. You can use both to your advantage. Just as Dowager Finley can use his influence to stop you. It is his law you’re messing with, after all.”

“I… didn’t think about that,” Aaron frowned. “I’m not sure that would end well. But even when I’m king…”

“The dowager is not loved by the people. But he still holds a lot of influence, more than you might realise. Tread carefully, your Highness.”

Aaron nodded, before finally stepping into the barracks. He had a lot of thinking to do.

Copyright © 2022 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 11
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nicely done--conflict, growth, key characters better identified, Aarom made the right decision and got the Queen to revoke Itumak's excessive punishment.

Aaron shows he has a good heart and is unskilled in palace politics in palace politics. Captain Darren is a wise advisor while the old king, the dowager, could be a powerful opponent who dislikes werewolves.

I hope the surgery goes well and no foul play takes place, and she is killed. Lord Sarin is an unknown. He is a temporary regent now for the Queen. Does he have plans to become king, if she dies in surgery or afterwards? If Sarin becomes King what happens to Aaron and how will werewolves be treated?

Edited by scrubber6620
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

What do we know about Lord Sarin...the name would suggest trouble lies ahead!!

Sarin
Sarin is an extremely toxic synthetic organophosphorus compound. A colourless, odourless liquid, it is used as a chemical weapon due to its extreme potency as a nerve agent.Wikipedia
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..