Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

BeaStKid

Just started reading it and hasn't made much sense uptill now. But then, HP's first few chapters never do....lol

Hope to finish it by the end of this weekend...

The BeaStKid

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the end of this week-end???

I just completed it! God, it's amazing and you can't guess who dies? I'll tell you... Should I? I read it in 10hr 30 min. Yeah, i never read it! I devour it!

Have you noticed gay materials in the story? Perhaps, I'm beinga bit too paranoid but I think there must have been something between Grindelwald and Dumbledore? Ok, it can be just my very fertile imagination. :P

I really missed the school stuff and certain characters. But having them discovering the Horcruxes was not bad too.

I really enjoyed it!!! :worship:

By the end of this week-end???

I just completed it! God, it's amazing and you can't guess who dies? I'll tell you... Should I? I read it in 10hr 30 min. Yeah, i never read it! I devour it!

Have you noticed gay materials in the story? Perhaps, I'm beinga bit too paranoid but I think there must have been something between Grindelwald and Dumbledore? Ok, it can be just my very fertile imagination. :P

I really missed the school stuff and certain characters. But having them discovering the Horcruxes was not bad too.

I really enjoyed it!!! :worship:

OMG!! :blink: 10 hr 30 mins !!! :lmao::lmao:

U ARE one crazy guy, Ieshwar :P

No! I'm suffering from Pottermania!

I wasn't able to review the book well coz I had to go to a ceremnoy. Here my full review:

SPOILER!

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

I

Slightly :off:

For Harry Potter fans, there's a fun article in the July 21st Contra Costa Times about planting as-close-as-possible equivalents to some of the magical plants named in the Harry Potter stories. It's a fun read. http://www.contracostatimes.com/homeandgar...?nclick_check=1. Be sure to click on the "Audio Slideshow" link.

Colin B)

I just finished reading it and it is one amazing book and far surpassed any expectations i had, It was a very emotional book and i think it wrapped everything up well but i was still wanting more at the end of the story but i think that is cause liek most people i don't want the story to end.

Spoilers below

I am so happy i was right about Snape i said when he killed dumbledore that he did it because he was dying and wanted to save draco for some greater good, Ron and hermione were both adorable was so sweet when they got together and i loved that teh final battle took place at hogwarts like i thought it would. Loved it but wishing there was more.

Mark

• Site Administrator

How long before we see the

Albus Severus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy slash fiction

?

lol

I clocked in at a slightly slower 12 hours, as I stopped for meals in there. I don't think I'm going to appreciate all the details until I reread it.

Oh, I was very proud of Kreatcher.

Myr

I havent finished it yet. I read for about 4 hours or so then my eyes stopped focusing. Well, it was 8:30am so... I think thats a legitimit reason. I didnt wake up until 6pm and Ive been on my computer since then. I dont have inyernet at my apt but I will ahve the book at my apt, you know?

Im only on page 353 and I refused to read any of the spoilers on this thread.

I just can't believe

Hedwig dies! In like 28 pages no less!!

The death count was FAR higher than I actually expected, but you know, every death meant something and so, it just felt right. (beware spoilers because I'm too lazy to inviso text).

I LOVED Kreacher in this one, and I giggled, yes, I giggled when Kreacher led the Hogwarts House Elves to fight on behalf of his Master. What really made me like the Kreacher storyline was how it showed that Harry REALLY was learning from the mistakes of the past (and yes, this made him better than Dumbledore as a person). Harry's little bits of kindness to the House Elf showed he could overcome past hatred and anger.

Severus Snape was every bit a hero as Harry Potter, Ron Weasely, Hermione Granger, or any other character in the books. It was great for that finally to be revealed, but what really hit me, and not until after I was done reading the entire book, was that I think he died happy. Yes, I think Snape was happy when he died, because he died looking into the eyes of Lily Evans, the love of his life, through her son Harry. (there were a lot about eyes in this book, an important sub-theme). What was also great was the way that it was Severus Snape that was Petunia's "Awful Boy" and not James.

Narcissa Malfoy was also a wonderful character in these last two books, and I actually let out a growl and a "Yes" when she whispered her question to Harry as he was lying in the forest. She had one priority, and one alone, and that was what saved Harry and made his victory possible. Sure, he'd just finished saving Draco's life, and he was rewarded for doing the right thing by gaining her assistance, even though he had no way of knowing that it would be needed down the road.

Dear Merlin, I can't wait to the see the movie of this one. I don't care if it's four hours long, I want to see Neville Longbottom wielding the Sword of Gryiffindor and cutting off Nagini's head! I want to see Tonks and Lupin risking everything for what they know to be right, and I want to see Minerva McGonagall showing us what exactly she can really do if given time to prepare. I want to see Percy appearing through the tunnel, and admitting that he was wrong and being welcomed back into the family, and see him fighting beside his brother in that horrible little battle, and through its aftermath.

More than any of that though, I want to see Harry Potter standing with his family at his back as he prepares to take that walk into the Forbidden Forest, and I want to see him in the 'King's Cross' station talking with Dumbledore, and learning the full truth of his fate. I want to see him standing against Voldemort, and showing that it is more than sheer power alone that brings about victory. Because, well, it's true. Sheer might, sheer power alone will not bring victory. You must have the inner spirit, the inner drive to be a better person, to look on your enemies and to know that they too are human, and that throwing an Adava Kedavra at Draco Malfoy is not the path to victory.

Rather it is through kindness, mercy, and willingness to sacrifice that we truly make the world a better place, and in the end, that was what Harry Potter was all about.

I think i clocked my reading time at 8hrs and some minutes (Got the book in the mail today and just finished reading it a few secs ago)

All i can say us WOW. I always knew that the covers of the Harry Potter series always gave clues about what was going to happen in the book. So many people died, some i wish didn't really die, but what can i do about that, hehe.

As Dan said, i can't wait till they make this book into a movie (I wish it was those 4hrs long, bc the last film seemed a bit to rushed)

Okay...just finished reading the book and I must say I enjoyed every bit of it. J.K Rowling has once again proved herself and her writing shines in this last instalment of the saga which has been with us for almost a decade.

All through the series, she dropped subtle hints about the plot and this book saw them fit in the plot like a jigsaw puzzle. I was sad when she had Hedwig killed right in the beginning. Mad-Eye dying was a shock. I guess I also saw him like a formidable force no one could break---The greatest auror of his time.

The chapters are nicely placed, the plot intriguing as always. Though threre are some places where things get confusing and incomprehensible there are also places where things are way too predictable. For instance, anyone reading the 5th book again after reading the 6th would instantly catch on the R.A.B was indeed Regulus and the locket they found while cleaning Number 12 was one of the horcrux.

J.K has beautifully portrayed the emotional turmoil each of the characters go through and thats what makes her a wonderful story-teller. Her narrative is nearly flawless (though there were a few places where the dialogues were not clear) and one can literally feel themselves connected to the story. As such, I'm not surprised to see many quoting reading times of 8-10 hours. It is simply difficult to keep the book down after starting it. I could literally feel my heart beat faster and the tension building inside me during the scenes where Harry and the lot were captured and taken to Malfoy Manor; the scene before the final battle with McGonagall preparing for it; where Harry is walking towards his own death and lastly the final duel.

Kudos to J.K for giving us such an awesome tale and introducing us to the Magical World oh Harry Potter.

The BeaStKid

Okay...the above post was written in a review style, not giving too much of the plot....this post here contains

SPOILERS

Thoroughly enjoyed the book. Somehow I didn't feel that bad about Tonks and Lupin dying. This may be due to many reasons that may include that I already knew about it or that they were actually not that important in the storyline.

This is not the case with Fred, though. His death was something that touched me really hard. I mean the Weasly family had to suffer so much through the whole series, it just seems a bit unfair on them.

Ron and Hermione's frustration over Harry's lack of plan mirrored my own over Dumbledore's lack of explanation for Harry. But I don't blame Dumbledore for all that he has done. Many people make mistakes in their life and so what if he too made some in his teens. Similarly it was smart of him to let Harry discover things on his own rather than handing it out to him in a sliver platter. Agreed that telling him more would have created a lot less bloodshed, but then it may have also resulted in a failed plan.

One thing I fail to understand is how did the Sword Of Gryffindor come to be inside the Sorting Hat. I though I read it correctly when it clearly mentions in the book that the Goblin took it away after their attempt at breaking into Gringotts.

Nevertheless, a great tale. I would love to read more provided that J.K pulls a Arthur Conan Doyle.

The BeaStKid

This doesn't have to do with the last Harry Potter book, so it doesn't really belong here, but I'm going to post it here anyway. :P I saw the Harry Potter movie that just came out, and I actually really liked it! I'm probably the only person who thinks Ron is INCREDIBLY hot, but whatevs. I totally dig the sweet/dorky guys. I never really got into the whole frenzy with HP, but now I'm intrigued. I've read the first two books, and thought they were okay. I think I'm going to keep going. :)

This doesn't have to do with the last Harry Potter book, so it doesn't really belong here, but I'm going to post it here anyway. :P I saw the Harry Potter movie that just came out, and I actually really liked it! I'm probably the only person who thinks Ron is INCREDIBLY hot, but whatevs. I totally dig the sweet/dorky guys. I never really got into the whole frenzy with HP, but now I'm intrigued. I've read the first two books, and thought they were okay. I think I'm going to keep going. :)

Well, I too think Rupert Grint is hot. And from the few glimpses we got of Tom Felton (Draco)....I have to say, he is turning out to be quite an eye-candy!!!

The BeaStKid

Thoroughly enjoyed the book. Somehow I didn't feel that bad about Tonks and Lupin dying. This may be due to many reasons that may include that I already knew about it or that they were actually not that important in the storyline.

I was very sad about their death. :(:( As much as Fred. When Lupin dies, the first thought that came to me was that the last of the four 'Marauders' has disppeared and strangely, that was sad for me. (I don't know why) And of course, their baby. And it seemed heroic coz Tonks really loved him and followed him till here. Plus, I liked Tonks and Lupin.

I LOVED Kreacher in this one,

Yeah, he was really great and was touched by this sudden change. :hug:

I want to see Neville Longbottom wielding the Sword of Gryiffindor and cutting off Nagini's head!

That would be great! Neville proved tht he's real Gryffindor too. :2hands: So did Ron, i believe.

And the fanfic would be just too great! Having ideas Myr??? :2thumbs: Once again, Albus was too sweet! :hug:

Ieshwar

SPOILER WARNING SAME AS ABOVE POSTS

I enjoyed the book tremendously. I fit in with the "8 to 10 hour" group, as it took me about 9 hours to finish it. I decided to read it straight through because of the risk of the mainstream media spoiling it for me. I had to avoid reading any news yesterday so that I could read in peace.

Like others, I was shocked early on with the deaths of Mad-Eye Moody and Hedwig. I also thought that the book grew unnecessarily complicated at times, but she had a lot of loose ends to tie up, so I suppose that's to be expected. There were indeed times where the dialogue wandered - especially when Ron, Hermione, and Harry were on the Horcrux quest in the middle of the book. However they went through fire together, so it was nice to see them come through it.

I agree with BeaStKid about the deaths of Tonks and Lupin. I wasn't that surprised, as both were in the Order, and people from the Order were dropping everywhere. But Fred was tough. I can only imagine the horror of a twin losing his other half, so that's what saddened me the most. And Colin Creevy? I mean sheesh - that was a bit harsh.

She did a nice job of explaining some mysterious plot lines that had meandered out there for a while through 5 and 6. Dumbledore was perhaps the second biggest surprise for me - both good and bad. I felt that she was tough on him at the end when he explained his great faults. That was hard to read, but understandable, as she showed the humanity in us all. I was frustrated with what Dumbledore didn't tell Harry, but JKR's explanation of why made sense for the most part.

The most obvious surprise - for some but not all - was Snape. I could not have predicted that he would turn out to be such a brave hero in the end. That threw me for a loop. I thought there was a possibility that he was innocent (she had been hinting at that quite a bit), but I was stunned when we went through his memory at what he did. I now understand that what made Dumbledore so certain about Snape's loyalty was Snape's forever love for Lily, and the fact that he would protect Harry in the end.

The pieces fell into place when all of that was revealed, because there were ample times for Snape to have caused more difficulty than he did. Those of us whose teeth were grinding every time we read his name were thrown a curve ball at the very end! That was rather skillful! I consider Snape her best character overall (he's also outstanding in the movie). He put us all through hell for all seven books, only to turn out to be "Dumbledore's Man" also. Just amazing. I think that was her greatest triumph.

There were other surprises - some pleasant, and others not so much. As DK mentions above, Kreacher surprised me! Talk about a makeover! He turned out to be a key player in this book, which I could not have predicted. The Dudley Dursley part in the beginning was just bizarre. Did anyone else think that was just completely out of left field? I guess he felt that way because Harry had saved his life. It seemed to be a strange departure, but she obviously had her reasons. The saddest surprise though was Dobby's death. I should have seen that coming. I braced myself to lose Hagrid (I predicted a Weasley would die, but I thought it would be a parent). Dobby was just not expected.

The Battle of Hogwarts was an awesome way to end the series, and a stroke of brilliance. We didn't get to see the school much in 7 because he was out and about, so we were able to return to an old friend at the end to see action. Many of our favorites were all there - like Nearly Headless Nick, the Marauders Map, the Room of Requirement, and the Headmaster's Office. Even the Chamber of Secrets made a return visit when Ron and Hermione went to get Basilik stuff. Very cool.

I agree completely with DK that a 7 movie will be outstanding, but they need to do it justice. It needs to be a three hour event. I remember being worried about LOTR, but Peter Jackson did the books justice when he made three. The director of 6 will have a hard enough time, but 7 will be a beast.

I was also amazed that she gave us an Epilogue! That must have been decided this year. I remember reading that she said she wrote the last chapter first, so I assume she means the battle with Voldemort. The Epilogue tied things up nicely, and also removed a lot of questions around what happens to the "big three". She gave us plenty to wonder about, including the idea of a next generation! I thought that "touching the scar at the end" bit was interesting. For those who saw the last X-Men, it was reminiscent of the chess piece moving, although not identical because the scar wasn't burning. But the door is definitely open.

As far as pieces I didn't like, I think the entire "Deathly Hallows" piece felt like a major distraction, although it certainly explained what Dumbledore was up to. The Elder Wand piece does fit, but the rest is just noise in my opinion. The core story was still there, it just took a while to get there. As I said above, I wasn't too pysched about Dumbledore's fall from grace, but Harry forgave him, and it shows the potential addiction to power that so many fall prey to in this world.

Overall, I think it was her second best book in my opinion. I liked four the best - Goblet of Fire - because the Triwizard Tournament will always be the high water mark for JKR for me. However, this book is an excellent runner up. I thought the work she did to finish out the characters was impressive - including major characters like Hagrid and Draco, to secondary ones like Luna and Percy. It felt like Mrs. Weasley gained a son back right when she lost one at the end, which was sad.

A fitting end to a great series. I'm not sure we'll see another one of that kind again in our lifetime.

Edited by Centaur

I reread the last few chapters again last night and realized I had missed something.

Molly Weasely.

In book 5, she was crushed by a bogart appearing to be the dead bodies of her family, but in Book 7, we see her true strength. From the moment she said "Out of my way, girls." and stepped in for Hermione, Ginny, and Luna against Bellatrix, I knew this was going to be a spectacular fight. Everything from Bellatrix's taunts, to the description of the ground cracking from heat underneath their feet while they fought was just perfect, and Molly's killing of Bellatrix just could not be better.

This is one thing that JK Rowling has done exceptionally well. She takes people who seem to be ordinary, nothing special, and brings them to levels of heroism that are almost indescribable. Molly Weasely has always been that happy, frumpy woman who cooks a good meal, worries about her family, and putters around the house being a busybody mother. How many people have ever saw her as being truly dangerous? Then, in the middle of the Battle for Hogwarts, she takes up her wand and proves that hell hath no fury like a mother protecting her children. It was well done, and I loved that every bit as much as Harry's facing down Voldemort.

For me, the Battle of Hogwart's last duel was a bit inadequate. I mean after reading so many fan-fics where there is a lot of action, this one-spell ending was a bit short and disappointing. If you've read DK's DOP, you'll know what I mean.

There is also one thing that is nagging at the back of my mind--- Does J.K read the fan-fics??? I think she does....Here's the evidence....

I am following a fan-fic called the Harry Potter and the Amulet of time where Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny find themselves back at the time of the Founders (Book1) due to an amulet which Harry got on his B'Day from Hermione.

There, Harry falls in love with Rowena Ravelclaw's daughter. Gallatea Rawenclaw bounds her soul to the Hogwarts grounds for Harry to free her when he returns to his own time. After he frees her, she joins the other ghosts and takes her position as the GREY LADY---Ravenclaw ghost!!!

Any similarities in the last book with this one??? Mind you, this fan-fic was written after Goblet and doesn't have Order of Phoenix in it for most of the first book.

Here's the link-- http://www.fanfiction.net/s/844334/1/

The BeaStKid

• Site Administrator

I doubt she reads the fanfics. With over 200,000 HP stories on FF alone, someone was bound to hit real plot points. Many people have predicted Snapes unending love of Lily Evans Potter, for example.

Though, there was a few times where I thought she might be nodding to the fanfic folks. The line about Snape after he jumped out the window: "With a tingle of horror, Harry saw in the distance a huge, batlike shape flying through the darkness towards the perimeter wall." I'm pretty sure she described Snape as batlike in the first book, but the fanfic authors have run away with it.

2 outstanding questions have come to mind:

1) Does the Sorting Hat summon the Sword of Gryffindor from wherever it is? Or did Griphook bring the thing back to Hogwarts (which seems HIGHLY unlikely after the description we were given of Goblins motivations.)

2) We know from book two that Colin Creevey's father is a milkman, and it says he's Muggleborn, as he was a victim of the Heir of Slytherin. If he really is Muggleborn, how did he end up at Hogwarts for this book? Or did I miss something. I thought they stopped anyone without direct proof of wizard relation from going to Hogwarts or anyplace else, for that matter. Does this mean Creevey is a Half-Blood?

1) Does the Sorting Hat summon the Sword of Gryffindor from wherever it is? Or did Griphook bring the thing back to Hogwarts (which seems HIGHLY unlikely after the description we were given of Goblins motivations.)

I mentioned that in my previous posts...lol

One thing I fail to understand is how did the Sword Of Gryffindor come to be inside the Sorting Hat. I though I read it correctly when it clearly mentions in the book that the Goblin took it away after their attempt at breaking into Gringotts.

The BeaStKid

2) We know from book two that Colin Creevey's father is a milkman, and it says he's Muggleborn, as he was a victim of the Heir of Slytherin. If he really is Muggleborn, how did he end up at Hogwarts for this book? Or did I miss something. I thought they stopped anyone without direct proof of wizard relation from going to Hogwarts or anyplace else, for that matter. Does this mean Creevey is a Half-Blood?

Colin was not attacked by Riddle due to the fact he was a muggle or a half-blood...He categorically stated that when Harry asked him why he had taken Ginny for she was a pure-blood. Riddle had replied that blood doesn't matter to him anymore.

It is more likely that Colin got petrified while snapping pictures of the corridors and met the eyes of the basilisk by accident.

The BeaStKid

P.S

200,000 fan fics!!!! Blimey...that's a lot...Bloody Hell, Harry, we're famous....lol

C'mon, everybody knew Snape had the hots for Lily. That was completely obvious, he was always a jealous little git. I KNEW he couldn't be evil though... no way, he had way too many chances to screw everybody over in a million ways.

The questions...

1. Didn't Dumbledore say something about only a true Gryffindor being able to pull the sword from the hat? It happened once before, and then the sword always hung in the office, right? So I assume it's just whenever a Gryffindor has great need of it, it's available.

2. It must mean that... was his mother's ancestry ever mentioned?

ANYWAY!

What I loved about this book, and I will praise that devil woman who wrote it for, is the way she's able to take a theme I've thought about for years now and never been able to clearly show in any of my own writing and she's just made it... oh wow. We constantly see people put upon pedestals in life, and they're supposed to be absolutely perfect. We even seem to get angry or disappointed when it turns out that they aren't who we think they are. I like the way she's portrayed this fact throughout the story, with different people. She makes ordinary people into heros, and heros into ordinary people. It's nice, refreshing how even the heros in the story are just regular people who make the same mistakes everyone else does.

I like being reminded that nobody's perfect.

But yes... it was great. I'm sad that it's all over, and I'm a little disappointed with the lack of serious resolution. I mean, sure, ole Voldy's dead and gone, everything's all hunky dory, but what's going on? Are they going back to school? What are they gonna do? Who's gonna replace all the teachers and all that? Yeah I know, I'm greedy, and I should know that all that doesn't really matter but... I WANNA KNOW. :P It's a side effect of being a rabid fanboy. :)

Ok kiddies... the book was finished in 8 hours... and that was WITH my working.

I. Loved. It. I thought it was great. I really liked how they kept mentioning things that happened in past books. The whole thing made you go, "Oh, I remember that!"

Quite a body count that got racked up there... It was very sad.

I'm still trying to ignore the fact that its all over... I'm just going to pretend that it's not the case...

As for the slash mentioned above... waaaaay ahead of you there...

I kind of already made a rough outline... But that means if I keep Adrian in it, I've got to change things around.

Lol, we'll see. Perhaps I should focus on the stories I've got going.

1) Just like Harry was able to summon the sword in Chamber of Secrets via the sorting hat, my view was that was exactly what Neville did as well.

2) Dan mentioned that last night as well. I'm pretty sure Colin is full muggle-born. I think he started going back to Hogwarts, but soon became one of the first (after Neville) occupants of the Room of Requirements. They moved all the people from the room into the Great Hall, and that's the first time he's mentioned (in the Great Hall trying to stay behind).

There were a lot who weren't suppose to be in Hogwarts but were present theere when Harry went there? Like Cho? They knew harry was going to come. So they were waiting for him. Really cool. Sad that Colin died though. What bout Dennis? Was he theer? I don't think so.

And guys, do youhave any idea what Harry's parents did as job? I really wanted to know that.

And I loved the part where Harry discovered the letter by his mom. It was... great! And the epilogue was simply outstanding.

Have you guys noticed the part when Ron tries to find Crookshanks to make the Willow still and Hermione shrieks : "Are you a wizard or what?" This one was in direct comparison to Ron's statement in the very first book where in the Devil snare part, he said "Are you a witch or what?" when Hermione tries to find wood to light fire.

Ieshwar

• Site Administrator

Ieshwar,

The site you want is here:

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/james.html

The Harry Potter Lexicon. It has not yet been updated with book 7 information.

as for James's job? Career: According to JKR, "James inherited plenty of money, so he didn't need a well-paid profession."

Myr