yeast infection

Bao

been awhile and didnt even see this sf here, posted in the wrong section soo yea... any ways 100 mg of diflucan isnt working for me

you sure it is a yeast infection ?? as far as i know that only happens to females. (and your profile says male )...

you sure it is a yeast infection ?? as far as i know that only happens to females. (and your profile says male )...

Well according to google, yeast infections can occur in both male and females, in many different parts of the body. It also says that a yeast infection in certain places such as the mouth can be an indication of underlying conditions such as HIV/AIDS, so I'd see a doctor instead of asking on the internet.

If you have a yeast infection in your mouth, aka thrush, it is likely that it was caused by some sort of medication. I know that Advair causes it (which is why you're supposed to rinse your mouth every time you take it), but I can't recall any more offhand.

Either way, you should go see a doctor. Unless you're absolutely certain that it's a result of medication, then it could be an indicator of other problems which could potentially be very serious.

Um, I know certain antibiotics tend to cause yeast infections in females, but I dunno about males... but I've been told that taking acidophilus (common dietary supplement) in conjunction with the medication will prevent it.

Yeast Infections are more common in women. Yeast infections also affect men, however. You can even spread them to others. Yeast likes a warm, moist area. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

One other really important thing I forgot to mention... diflucan is usually prescribed for vaginal yeast infections; other types of infections require different treatment. So yeah, unless the yeast infection is vaginal (which I assume it isn't cause it says you're a boy), that dose of diflucan isn't gonna do the trick probably.

Hey Bao!

LOL, back and already discussing highly personal matters...it's like you were never away at all! :hug:

Seriously, it's great to see you and I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

I have heard of cases of oral and anal yeast infections (not that I'm trying to solicit information on which you've got :P ), but I haven't really got any great ideas for treating them. Presumably the cause is some combination of an antibiotic you were taking (which lowers one's resistance to these infections) or some other medication, and some form of contamination. Not to scare you but it could indeed be a potentially serious indicator of your general health if it doesn't seem to have an obvious cause.

In any case you should see a doctor, even if it's completely harmless and treatable you should consult a doctor and get on the right meds. I'm not sure if the standard medications for vaginal yeast infections would be effective or not, I assume it would depend on the med and how exactly it combated the infection. I have no knowledge of how exactly the drug you mentioned above works, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be able to clear up the infection in the place you have it or not.

Anyway, I definitely urge you to see a doctor and I definitely wish you well with this!

LOL, and you ought to hang around more ;)

Take care and have an awesome day!

Kevin

P.S. since you posted your question here as well and received responses here but not in the general part of The Lounge, I'll delete the extra thread ;)

Edited by AFriendlyFace

One other really important thing I forgot to mention... diflucan is usually prescribed for vaginal yeast infections; other types of infections require different treatment. So yeah, unless the yeast infection is vaginal (which I assume it isn't cause it says you're a boy), that dose of diflucan isn't gonna do the trick probably.

Dr. Jamie :P

I was on Diflucan for a fungal infection for a thing called valley fever (Coccidioidomycosis) so it is prescribed for illnesses beyond vaginas :P

Edited by NaperVic

• Site Administrator

Well Bao, I'm not a doctor, and would strongly suggest you see one, but I don't know if medication is needed in all cases.

Let's say a friend of mine, ya, a friend is a diabetic. When you mix high sugar content in urine if the blood sugar is high, and you mix in saliva, things tend to grow. So if the infection could be anywhere the two could have possibly met...

Last I heard was no medication is necessary other than to treat the high blood sugar.

But that is in only that one specific case, so once again, I would suggest seeing a doctor before checking out any medication, or propaganda from the drug companies.

Steve B)

PS, one more example of what safe sex can help prevent

Yeast Infections are more common in women. Yeast infections also affect men, however. You can even spread them to others. Yeast likes a warm, moist area. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

stupid me.. should have known that :wacko: .

Well, i would always recommend to see a doc... wrong self medication can cause serious trouble.

And yes, safer sex is always a really good idea ;)

it was a doc who prescribed the diflucan to me she gave me a cream too. albeit she was a dermatologist. just cause its skins dosnt mean all skin is the same. so i have an appointment with a urologist but that somewhere in mid feb. soo i thought i should get some info and try to get rid of it myself while im waiting.

and its nice to see you guys again too. i think.

it was a doc who prescribed the diflucan to me she gave me a cream too. albeit she was a dermatologist. just cause its skins dosnt mean all skin is the same. so i have an appointment with a urologist but that somewhere in mid feb. soo i thought i should get some info and try to get rid of it myself while im waiting.

and its nice to see you guys again too. i think.

B) ........Hope everything clears up!

I'm not sure I'd mix OTC with your prescription meds. It's probably OK, but definitely talk to either your doctor or a pharmacist before doing so. You'd really hate to have a nasty reaction or end up neutralizing one of the medications. Yogurt is good, as is cranberry juice in some cases.

If you've had the yeast infection for more than a week or two, I don't know that I'd wait another two weeks for a follow-up if it's not responding to treatment. Fungal infections (and yes, yeast is a fungus) can be pretty nasty once they get systemic. We don't have the fungal equivalent of antibiotics -- it's mostly a matter of knocking them down and hoping your body fights it off.

What can help is to get your immune system working better. Take a multi-vitamin daily, get out in the sun (or supplement with extra vitamin D if you can't), and exercise strenuously for half an hour or more a day. And yeah, you want to sweat when you exercise -- that level of exertion has, for most people, a significant positive effect on your immune system. (It's also handy to do for a week or two before flying, which isn't exactly apropos, but true nonetheless. I usually get sick if I don't)

I'm not sure I'd mix OTC with your prescription meds. It's probably OK, but definitely talk to either your doctor or a pharmacist before doing so. You'd really hate to have a nasty reaction or end up neutralizing one of the medications. Yogurt is good, as is cranberry juice in some cases.

If you've had the yeast infection for more than a week or two, I don't know that I'd wait another two weeks for a follow-up if it's not responding to treatment. Fungal infections (and yes, yeast is a fungus) can be pretty nasty once they get systemic. We don't have the fungal equivalent of antibiotics -- it's mostly a matter of knocking them down and hoping your body fights it off.

What can help is to get your immune system working better. Take a multi-vitamin daily, get out in the sun (or supplement with extra vitamin D if you can't), and exercise strenuously for half an hour or more a day. And yeah, you want to sweat when you exercise -- that level of exertion has, for most people, a significant positive effect on your immune system. (It's also handy to do for a week or two before flying, which isn't exactly apropos, but true nonetheless. I usually get sick if I don't)

That's some excellent advice. Yeast infections can actually be life-threatening in some cases, not to mention the fact that fungus tends to have a terrible stench. Needless to say, that's a huge turn-off for most. The human body contains many warm, moist areas. The fungi thrive in such conditions.

As for yogurt, that is one of the best foods a person can eat. The active cultures can prevent a terrible infection called C-Diff. C-Diff is in the lower GI tract and is often caused by powerful antibiotics destroying all but one of the natural flora. Eating yogurt while taking IV antibiotics should be part of hospital protocol. Unfortunately, it is not.