Review by Rose Strailo

This story is one of the few stories that I've read that drives home that not all cultures don't treat woman and children the same way as others do without utterly drowning it in angst. It was a perfect balance and it made me at times, sad and depressed. At the end though, it showed such hope for a new future, I was about to bounce in happiness. It evokes many emotions as I went over it but it did leave me wanting a bit more detail. Not a lot, just a few more. A few words could have been changed to impact the reader a bit more, but it's wonderfully done.

All is all, I liked reading it and hope that I can continue to read such wonderful stories from Ishwar in the future.

This was definitely well- written. I loved that it was from the mother's perspective and you get the grasp of a mother's love, what she is willing to do for her daughters, the future generation. It also shows how one can develop courage over time. She accepted her fate when she was younger because there was nothing else she could do, but for the sake of her daughter, she tried to get them away, even if it was risky and she was terrified.

Deepike, in the scene when she meets her potential future inlaws is a bit heartbreaking, as she appears to be like a corpse, or she was bravely holding back tears. Or when she admitted to her mother that she was contemplating suicide, so she could have her freedom. It just makes me realizes how difficult things are for women in other cultures. I mean, burning girls alive, or having to find money in order for the male's family to take her? It was so extreme. All these elements you included really hit home, and shows how powerful love can be.

The best line is "the wings to freedom"---very true and so eloquent. The ending of the story leaves you with a great sense of hope.

A wonderful story that I really enjoyed reading. The tone mirrored Amrita so well, and the whole narrative gave me a feeling of good, old-fashioned story-telling at its best. And perhaps that was what made the whole story ooze hope, even when Amrita got beaten up by her husband and it seemed like Deepika would have to marry that boy -- the sense that this was the kind of story that would have to end well.

Amrita was a great character, you did a good job conveying how she'd been accepting her fate for so long, but had grown and was growing as a person until she finally realised she could do something about her situation. The ending was exhilarating, with the three of them, so vulnerable in a society like that, embarking on a journey to the unknown. Thanks for a great story!

Review by Rose Strailo

This story is one of the few stories that I've read that drives home that not all cultures don't treat woman and children the same way as others do without utterly drowning it in angst. It was a perfect balance and it made me at times, sad and depressed. At the end though, it showed such hope for a new future, I was about to bounce in happiness. It evokes many emotions as I went over it but it did leave me wanting a bit more detail. Not a lot, just a few more. A few words could have been changed to impact the reader a bit more, but it's wonderfully done.

All is all, I liked reading it and hope that I can continue to read such wonderful stories from Ishwar in the future.

Thanks Rose! :) I often end my stories with loose ends. I believe that the end should be a start. And this is what I did in Beyong The threshold. I believe that we shouldn't be so selfish about our rights and forget those who are going through a worse fate.

Glad that you liked it.

*spoilers, as usual*

There aren't many stories that can pull off a line such as: "What are these, Ma?"...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Another great piece of characterisation, as well as education into one aspect of life in rural India. I recently had the opportunity to listen to someone who runs a school for women in rural India, so I recognised a lot of what Ieshwar said in this story.

There are so many injustices in the world. So many people who are trapped in a less than desirable situation.

May they, too, find their wings to freedom. :wub:

Thank you, Ieshwar :)