Should there be a DK Forums?

Should GA have a forum for discussion of DK's (my) stories?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should GA have a forum for discussion of DK's (my) stories?

• Yes
    • No

Okay, I've been getting a few e-mails and PM's, and comments from people that want a forum to discuss my writings. I'm hesitant to have Myr create one for several reasons. First, I don't know if there's enough interest in such a thing to make the effort of creating and running one worth it all. I could be wrong about this, I don't know. Second, a forum wouldn't be for me. I'm active in several forums, including Dom Luka's because they aren't MINE, and they don't pertain to my works. I like to use my blog to really communicate things on my works. If a forum were created, you'd see me about as much as you see Dom in his forums. Remember, in THEIR forums, I'm a fan just like everyone else. In my own forums...well those are for you, the readers and fans to enjoy.

So, here's the deal folks. If you want a DK forums...you can have one. Get 100 people more people to vote Yes than vote No on this poll and I'll tell Myr to start one up (and then pick a victim to make Moderator as well as me.)

If 1 person votes no, you need 101 people for this to happen. If no one votes no, only 100 are needed. Twenty vote no, 120 are needed and so on and so forth. I'm not going to drum up any support for this, it has to come from the readers and fans. If it happens, I'll come up with goodies and fun things along the way to help it or going, but you guys and gals have to want it...

Oh, and votes are anonymous so anyone voting no may do so without fear of retaliation from any other person (don't even suggest it, guys, I won't stand for someone's voice being stifled that way).

Deal?

Edit here: I chose 100 because we, at the time of this post, have 584 members. 100 is slightly less than 20% of the registered members of this forum.

I'm a member of this board and my vote counts just like everyone else's.

Neener neener neener.

Now you can go round up a hundred other members by yourself if you want this to happen. If you need to, there's a member list and you can send all 584 of them a PM. BTW, if you do that, I HIGHLY recommend typing a generic message and cut and pasting that message into each PM.

THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF MASS P.M. ing OF MEMBERS. Just a suggestion.

Yes there sould be a forum for DK.

DK....You already post alllll over Dom's board....Why I even think that you have taken over Vic's spot as the top poster! --gasp-- So why make another one when you can just harrass everyone through Dom's board....Not that we Domaholics endorse your excitable, excessive posting or anything!

Dan,

Would love you to have your own forum, and maybe I might even venture out of Domsworld..............but if you stop posting with us I would be sad.

Lore

P.S. Have I told you how much I loved VJ? I think I have, but would love some others to discuss it with in a safe little world.

Edited by lobaiga

Dan, talking about setting the bar high!!!

I don't think there are 100+ Domaholics!!!!

Sigh....Ok Dan, you've been fighting against 'Danapolis' for a while so I'll respect your wishes.

But no complaining about being 'off topic' in any of the other threads if we start talking about you...er...you're writing.

I think I'm getting an idea for a new skit about you :P

Vic

Edited by naper_vic

one hundred! Do we have that many vote in the presidential elections?

Definitely, there should be a dk forum. I always feel guilty trashing Dan in someone else's home. Besides, it gives me more of an excuse to be on line.

And yes, I started out as a Dom-o-holic, but monogamy has never been a high priority with me :devil:

So go for it Dan.....get that room (and no, that is not like "get a room", but almost)

Marc

please dont stone me for this people but ..

hi dk. i'm one of those domaholics. i wont say domophile because domaholic has always been the fun 'group' name we've used and i am and always will be a domaholic. :2thumbs: on dom's reccomendation i read your story 'dawn of tears' a while ago and ever since then i have been a huge fan of your work. i especially liked vampire jarred. :great: i feel a little guilty because before now i havent written you and told you that. (dom is the only author i have ever personally written. i could relate to some of his stories on a personal level but before him i was sort of a shy poster)

anywho- back to the reason for this post. i have been a lurker over at your blog for a while and i prefer that to the forums. i like how it feels more personal. i get to learn about the author who writes the stories and i think its easier to scroll down the list of comments instead of using the forums. i do use dom's forum, but thats only because there are several people from his yahoo group there, us origianal domoholics. the problem with dom's forum is that i wish we saw more of dom there. i was really happy when he started his blog. i keep hoping that he'll make it feel as 'personal' as yours feels. i think i'm a little worried that if you have a forum you'll start posting there more than you do on your blog if thats where people are going(instead of the blog) :( i really dont want your blog to 'slow down', especially if i start posting there. :) : i have to vote no to the forum.

JC

please dont stone me for this people but ..
It's OK Jole. Dan doesn't want a forum specially dedicated to him as well, and his reasons are in the first post of this thread.

The reason why he started this poll was to:

1. halt everyone asking him privately for a forum dedicated to himself. I believe he was getting at least one a day since that comment I made in his post, and he's been a bit miffed by all that.

2. increase poster discussion OUTSIDE the Dom forums. The fact that you are posting here is proof enough that he's succeeding.

3. stroke his own ego by demanding 100 more "Yes" votes than "No" votes. Well, that and to ensure that the additional work involved in "maintaining" a forum isn't "wasted" by having it open to only a handful of people.

That's good and all, I guess.

The original reason I suggested that Dan should have a forum is so that the readers who want to post threads like "Why is Davey's mom such a bitch?" and "Whose funeral was it in Chapter 16?", for example, have currently no place to post them. Sure, they can be posted as comments to the blogs, but it gets confusing in there. Likewise, posting them in The Cafe is not going to get as much response as posting them in a forum dedicated to Dan's stories.

But at the end of the day, it's up to Dan. On one hand, he wants more fan discussions, but on the other hand, he's stifling discussion IMO, by not having a forum for his stories.

Damn you Novelty! Damn you I say for making a very damn good point and pointing out my own inconsisty of thought at times.

Now I"m going to have to mull your points, and balance them with what JC said.

When I first started the blog, it was rather infrequent postings, and mostly bitching about family members. Then I started talking about more than that, and I MUST admit that I like it now. I feel it's a way to talk directly to my readers, and for them to talk back. What I don't want is a forum taking away from that connection to the readers.

Yet, you raise a valid point (oh, and you just reminded me I haven't made the final changes to 17 and got it sent off to Myr and I haven't written my blog entry for the posting - sigh - I DID however finish writing 23, right on schedule.). I'd love to see discussion on Davey's mom being a bitch, and on whose funeral it is in chapter 16 (which WON'T be answered for several more chapters). The blog doesn't really lend itself to that, and while the Cafe IS for story discussions, a single DOR thread doesn't really fit. More than one thread would hurt independent, non-hosted authors like Novelty whose stories get less discussion, but are important if GA is to succeed (hosted authors are nice for building fan bases and so forth, but we burn out and fade off into the sunset over time. It's a fact of life. If GA is to last beyond the current group of hosted authors, we need to build and support up and coming authors.) The Cafe is and really should be THEIR area for discussion.

Okay, okay, you've made me look at this in a different light. I might reconsider the 100 vote requirement (although I want to hear from a good majority of board members on this). If it's still at 66% or higher on Friday Saturday night, I might say yes.

Now, I'm off to write my blog for tomorrow (I was going to give a big one today on the nature of heroes from the 1980's to the present but that will have to wait. I might write it offline and post it on Sunday - I'm finding on the blogs that they seem to do better if left up for a full day after their posting day (i.e. the 17 discussion up on friday and left up until Sunday). Putting up a new one too soon seems to cut off discussion...

Bad Novelty!

Don't throw an author's words back in his face. I've sent 17 in to Myr for posting in the morning, written my blog and I'm to pace before deciding if I want 1) Sleep or 2) start writing 24. I force myself to sleep at midnight, so I might get a page or two done if I start now. More than likely I'll sleep and start 24 in the morning.

I love your blog (with one exception) and being able to use the thread in The Cafe - a separate forum might be cool, but I can also live without one (for now).

But the blog came up :) Um... one thing that isn't great about the blog format is knowing when there is a new comment on any of the previous entries. Sometimes I remember the comment counts of the last three entries - but sometimes someone new will see one of your old blog entries, make a cool comment and I'll miss it for a while...

On one of the other blogs (Myr's I think), he has a listing on the right of the recent comments... What's your thoughts on implementing something like that for yours?

Ah Cool, Trebs has an avatar. That's Ballad, isn't it?

Anyways, back to the blogs: Recent comments is good as well, but it's no substitute for a proper forum IMO. Also, blog comments are not searchable too, or at least they weren't so yesterday. If you're going to tweak the blog, would it be possible to make the comments searchable?

I would like to see DK have his own forum.

In about 2 months or less com will be leaveing the net adn i think there is a person that will be the gens. com dom your a great writer but i feel dan is geting as good as com and that is not a easy thing to do so yes dan should have his own forum. Dan you have been one of my fav. writers since i found your stories every one of them has been better then the last in my openion i feel like you wll this gens. com.

Dan you have been one of my fav. writers since i found your stories every one of them has been better then the last

Just for the record, I can't agree with the last part of that statement, but then you probably know that based on my DOReviews :ph34r: