It Started With Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading it. I must say that it's a great story. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. The remaining chapters should be up relatively fast, for me anyway. End of semester grading has descended upon all of us. :wacko:

-D

Thanks. The remaining chapters should be up relatively fast, for me anyway. End of semester grading has descended upon all of us. :wacko:

-D

That's the most important. I'm a student as well.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I left a review. That was a good chapter, Dan. I do have one mild complaint. It did seem a bit rushed and like it was a bit of a summary. Other than that, it was good. :)

I left a review. That was a good chapter, Dan. I do have one mild complaint. It did seem a bit rushed and like it was a bit of a summary. Other than that, it was good. :)

Can't be knocking Dan for this one; I have to take a good bit of the blame.

My name's Adam, and I'm helping Dan get his story finished. Dan's not in a real great position to be able to devote a lot of time to his story anymore, so I'm trying to get his extensive notes on the story shaped into narrative form so that you can all have the complete tale. I have a couple of my own stories going on the Internet, but they're on hold right now while I work on this project with Dan.

It's been challenging for a number of reasons. The first and most obvious is that I'm not Dan and it's not my story. All I can do is to try to "channel" Dan successfully. When I get way off-base with a draft, he sets me straight and I redirect. But obviously, I can't know the story from deep inside like he does.

Secondly, his writing style is different from mine. When I first began to work on his story, I was committed to trying to finish the story in his style. I discovered quickly that if I tried that, not only would I not succeed, but the attempt itself would lengthen the time it took to get the writing done. So I threw in the towel and decided just to try to preserve as many of Dan's words from his notes as I could, and not to sweat matching his style. I know some readers were disconcerted by what they felt was a jarring difference between the "feel" of Chapter 11 and the feel of the chapters that came after. I wish it didn't have to be, and I'm sure Dan does too. But it is what it is; and because I love Dan's story--and love the hell out of Dan, lol--I was bound and determined to help him get it told. I hope all of you who have loved the story will keep reading. The storyline is Dan's, and where the writing itself annoys you, try to cut Dan some slack. Roll your eyes at me if you must, but keep reading. It's the tale itself that counts, and when all is said and done, I think you'll find it to have been a very rewarding and satisfying read.

As for your contention that Chapter 16 was rushed and summary-like, you're probably right. There was a lot a material to cover, and as important as this chapter was, it was difficult to give too much space over to the events narrated. I probably narrated too many scenes in summary fashion and didn't bring them alive with dialogue. I'll admit that as I considered this chapter along with the other six remaining chapters, I was less motivated to spend time on this segment than some of the upcoming ones. It was a judgment call, and I'll plead guilty to "summarizing," I guess. It's hard to know how much "play" Dan would have given the plot elements of Chapter 16. I try not to weigh him down with too many calls to help me craft chapters. If he had that kind of attention to give over to the chapters, he'd be able to do the writing himself. So blame me, I guess. I'll try to do better in future chapters.

I'm glad you're liking his story. I do too, or I wouldn't be involved in this project.

Adam P

Edited by AdamP

Chapter 17 is now up. I need to thank all of my readers for their patience and for all of the feedback and for my slow pace in responding. My time online has been severely curtailed of late, so if my responses are slow, please know that I do appreciate the feedback.

I need to say a special thank you to Adam for helping me finish ISWB. This story is near to my heart for a number of reasons, and I wouldn't have been able to finish it without his assistance. He is having to work from my notes which are sometimes extensive, and sometimes less than clear; and has been very patient with my current ability, or lack thereof, to concentrate.

So, welcome to the home stretch. The story is nearly finished, and yes, the nagging questions of what the heck happened between Brian and Tom in the canyon will be answered. Promise.

-D

https://www.gayauthors.org/efiction/viewsto...&chapter=17

• 1 month later...

I've been following this story with interest and was glad to read the new chapter. I'm glad that Sam seems to be pulling his life together, but I'd still like to see him clear the air with Brian. It seems like they're wasting so much time - not just days or weeks, but literally years - and the time just keeps flying by, frustratingly so. I really would like to envision a happy ending for these guys, but with such a wide chasm between them, is that even possible anymore? I sure hope so!

I've been following this story with interest and was glad to read the new chapter. I'm glad that Sam seems to be pulling his life together, but I'd still like to see him clear the air with Brian. It seems like they're wasting so much time - not just days or weeks, but literally years - and the time just keeps flying by, frustratingly so. I really would like to envision a happy ending for these guys, but with such a wide chasm between them, is that even possible anymore? I sure hope so!

For me, and what makes it the story it is, is exactly what you've noted Cyinical. It is the opportunities lost, the 'almost' connections, why doesn't that bastard just say something, how much more un-subtle can Brian be, would Sam shit or get off the pot--say something you idiot.

These to me are what makes this story work. I quite agree with you Cynical, it is FRUSTRATING, and I want to slap the both of them. Of course, for a story to evoke such a response in me, says the writer is doing a good job in its telling. I too hope, Brian and Sam get connected--it's the build up to this wish that keeps me reading. If it doesn't happen, I'll have to send Dan, Godiva chocolates laced with ExLax. :P And I'm gonna' put Cynical's return address on the package. (these last two lines were a joke everyone!)

These to me are what makes this story work. I quite agree with you Cynical, it is FRUSTRATING, and I want to slap the both of them. Of course, for a story to evoke such a response in me, says the writer is doing a good job in its telling. I too hope, Brian and Sam get connected--it's the build up to this wish that keeps me reading. If it doesn't happen, I'll have to send Dan, Godiva chocolates laced with ExLax. :P And I'm gonna' put Cynical's return address on the package. (these last two lines were a joke everyone!)

Wow. Remind me not to eat any random boxes of chocolate that arrive on my doorstep....

I won't hand out any spoilers, but it is the home stretch. Only a few chapters left to go. Thanks for everyone's patience.

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Just started reading ISWB and finished it within a day.

I must say that whenever Sam starts "rationalizing" about his relationship (or lack thereof) with Brian, I want to slap him. I feel the same way about Brian whenever he's SO obvious about what he feels but doesn't do a damn thing.

Gah.

I hope they get together. Or at least, connect and be back to what they were before all the trouble. They have to.

It'd be SUCH a disappointment if they don't. You can't bring us readers through all this turmoil and frustration and NOT give us a happy ending :P

This is by far one of the most frustrating stories I've ever read. (GRAGRAHRGAHKSFJHAKJHATKA!!!!)

I love it to pieces. That and I'm dying for an update even though I just finished reading like an hour ago.

Yes, it's such a frutstraing story , which makes me more addicted and hooked!

Eagerly wating for update.

• 2 months later...

I need to make an announcement to the readers of It Started With Brian.

Dan, the story's author, died early this morning, after struggling for several months with colon cancer.

Dan was one of the most intelligent, insightful, kind, and compassionate people I've ever had the chance to know. I will miss him terribly.

When he became pretty sick, I volunteered to finish the story for him from his notes. He was reluctant to spend more time on the writing because he wanted his last months to be given to his family and friends without the distraction of the story. I was honored to take on the responsibility, even though our writing styles are very different. I only regret that I couldn't finish the story in time for him to read it all the way to the end.

For what it's worth, I should let the readers know that this story is not fiction. This is the story of Dan's life. For people who wonder whether erotic stories on the Internet could ever really happen, I'm here to tell you that It Started With Brian is indeed autobiographical. I assure you that by the time you (and I) have finished the story, you'll be glad you read it.

Rest in peace, buddy.

Adam Phillips

Oh crap.

The fact that it's autobiographical has made me appreciate the story more. When the next chapter comes out, I'll be reading the latest chapter of Dan's life. And from what I've read so far, Dan seems like a great person.

RIP Dan.

• 2 weeks later...