• Site Administrator

Please post the title and author of all the published gay books you know. If you've read the books, please leave some comments on what you thought of the books.

Here are some that I have.... again, it does not mean they are the greatest, but they are published gay fiction... hehehe:

In Memory of Angel Clare by Christopher Bram

A Fairy Tale by S. Steinberg

The Truth About Alex by Anne Snyder

The Butterscothc Prince by Richard Hall

Mineshaft Nights by Leo Cardini

Hold On Tight by Christopher Bram

Home Boy by Jimmy Chesire

Halfway Home by Paul Monette

The Carnivorous Lamb by Agustin Gomez-Arcos

Different Strokes by Phil Andros

Under Heat by Michael David Brown

Kiss of Leather by Larry Townsend (The title makes me think of DK... hehehe!)

The Boys on the Rocks by John Fox

The Arena by John Preston

Hope this helps.

Love and Peace,

Solace

• 2 weeks later...

A few baseball-related books:

1) The Dreyfuss Affair by Peter Lefcourt -

This book tells the story of what happens when two major league baseball players fall in love and are accidentally outed to the public. A decent book. I'd recommend it, and I suspect it may be interesting and accessible even if you don't know/like baseball.

2) Behind the Mask by Dave Pallone -

The autobiography of a (formerly) closeted (former) major league umpire. An interesting read, but probably not if you don't like baseball.

3) Going the Other Way: Lessons from a Life in and our of Major League Baseball by Billy Bean

The autobiography of (formerly) closeted rank-and-file major league baseball player who is now retired. I didn't like this book all that much, because I didn't feel that it got deep enough. It does raise some issues about homophobia in sports. But Bean doesn't really seem to share enough to make his personal story all that compelling beyond the detail of being a closeted baseball player, and he seems to lack the kind of perspective on his own career and performance that can make athlete memoirs interesting.

4) Take Me Out by Richard Greenberg

The hit Broadway play about homophobia (and other cultural attitudes) in baseball is now available in book form. I haven't read it, so I can't recommend. It is always a little weird to read something that we are meant to see performed, but hey, we do it with Shakepeare all the time.

Oh, there are so many gay-themed books I've read and own, listing them all would take hours.

I'll try to give you a few.

Detective stories / Crime

Michael Nava - Henry Rios series, 6 or 7 books starring Henry Rios a gay latino lawyer

Joseph Hansen - Dave Brandstetter series, about 10 or 12 books set and first published in the 1960's to 70's. Protagonist is insurance claims investigator Dave Brandstetter.

Michael Craft - Mark Manning Mysteries, 6 books so far

Mark Richard Zubro - Paul Turner Mysteries, Paul Turner is a gay detective

Mark Richard Zubro - Tom + Scott Mysteries, Tom Mason is a gay english teacher, his lover Scott Carpenter a baseball star

R.D. Zimmerman - Todd Mills Mysteries, Gay news reporter solving crimes.

Grant Michaels - Stan Kraychik Mysteries, revolving around a gay haidresser

comedy

Stephen Fry (UK author, playwrite, director and actor) The Liar

Stephen Fry The Hippopotamus

Stephen Fry Making History

Robert Rodi Closet Case

Robert Rodi Kept Boy

Robert Rodi What they did to Princess Paragon

Robert Rodi Drag Queen

Michael Carson Sucking Sherbet Lemons

Michael Carson Coming up Roses

Michael Carson Stripping Penguins Bare

These are just a few of the books I've bought over the last 2 decades. If you want more, give me a shout.

Stefan

Guest leander

I enjoyed the books by Gordon Merrick:

The Lord Won't Mind

One For The Gods

Forth Into Light

An Idol for Others

The Quirk

Now Let's Talk About Music

All published by Avon

Tony

A few more, starting with fantasy:

Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner - The first 'gay' book I ever read. Picked it up back in high school, with no idea it wasn't your run-of-the-mill sword & sorcery novel, and was pleasantly surprised. The writing is a bit dense, but worth the effort. Kushner and partner Delia Sherman finally wrote a sequel, almost 15 years later, called The Fall of the Kings, which I own, but haven't gotten around to reading yet.

Point of Hopes and Point of Dreams by Melissa Scott and Lisa A. Barnett are set in a Renaissance style alternate universe. The gay content is pretty subtle in the first book.

Fiona Patton's Branion Series- The Stone Prince, The Painter Knight, The Granite Shield, and The Golden Sword - Not sure what to say about these, since I picked up the first 3 at a book sale, but haven't read them yet. From the reviews I've seen, it looks like people either love them or hate them.

Moving on to non-fantasy:

Two gay epics which I absolutely loved: How Long Has This Been Going On? by Ethan Mordden, and Like People in History by Felice Picano. Mordden has also written a series called The Buddies Cycle, and some of Picano's other titles are Onyx and The Book of Lies.

I also recommend all of Andrew Holleran's books: Dancer From The Dance, a classic, and somewhat eerie, as it seems to foreshadow the end of an era, but was written in 1978, pre-AIDS epidemic; Nights in Aruba, The Beauty of Men, and two short story collections, In September the Light Changes, and Ground Zero. His writing is so exquisite that it can be distracting, though.

I noticed some of Mary Renault's books were on the list, but The Charioteer was missing. She's known for her novels set in ancient Greece, but this is a beautiful story set in WW II England.

Maurice by E.M. Forster was written in 1914 but not published until 1970. The movie version is also excellent, and faithful to the book.

An Arrow's Flight by Mark Merlis- I'm not sure how to categorize this one, or even how to explain it. Basically, it's the story of the Trojan War set in modern times (well, sort of) and Pyrrhus, Achilles' son, is a go-go boy/hustler.

Harlan Greene has only written two fiction books, Why We Never Danced the Charleston and What the Dead Remember, and I adore both of them, especially the first. They're both set in Charleston, SC, and he really captures the atmosphere.

Christopher Bram- Father of Frankenstein, which was the basis for the movie Gods and Monsters; The Notorious Dr. August, a rather strange historical novel spanning the years from the Civil War to the 1920's, about a pianist who claims his music is influenced by the spirit world, and an ex-slave. Also, In Memory of Angel Clare, and Hold Tight.

Marion Zimmer Bradley, The Catch Trap - the story of two young, gay trapeze artists in the 40's and 50's. (Sounds a bit corny when phrased that way, but it's a well-written and moving story.)

This is a long first post, so I think I'll stop for now and add some more later.

Title, Author, Publisher, Date, Comment

Postcards from No Man's Land, Aidan Chambers, Red Fox, 2001, Astonishing. Serious, funny, moving.

The Year of Ice, Brian Malloy, St Martin's Press, 2002, Working class gay guy comes of age.

Billy's Boys, Patricia Nell Warren, Wildcat Press, 1998, The son of one of Nell Warren's previous heroes grows up - gay? Maybe.

Marrying Tom, Joseph Gerachi, Millelivres-Prowler, 2001, Funny, romantic, warm and fuzzy.

Boy Meets Boy, David Levithan, Harper-Collins, 2005, Brilliant. Funny and witty and if only it were true.

How I Learned to Snap: A Small-Town Coming-Out and Coming-Of-Age Story, Kirk Read, Penguin, 2003, Camp, literate, episodic.

"Hey, Joe", Ben Neihart, Alison and Busby, 2000, Ultra cool and smooth. Big easy writing. Fun plot.

Clay's Way, Blair Mastbaum, Alyson, 2005, Outstanding. Funny, sexy, scarey, exciting.

Half-life, Aaron Krach, Alyson, 2004, Too californian for its own good but affecting.

War Boy, Kief Hillsberry, Picador, 2000, Queer punk tweakers go mad.

Peter, Kate Walker, Houghton Miffin, 2001, Nice little story about an Aussie teen working out he's queer.

The most recent reads. One day I'll fill a spreadsheet full of every gay book I've read.

J

Back with some more...

Neil Bartlett - Ready to Catch Him Should He Fall and The House on Brooke Street

Jamie O'Neill - At Swim, Two Boys

Laura Argiri - The God in Flight

Christopher Isherwood - A Single Man

Armistead Maupin - Tales of the City (and many sequels)

Patricia Nell Warren- someone mentioned Billy's Boy already. The first two books in the trilogy are The Front Runner and Harlan's Race

Jim Grimsley - Boulevard , Comfort and Joy, and Dream Boy

Vincent Virga - Gaywyck and the sequel Vadriel Vail (historical romance)

Ben Tyler - Gay Blades (figure skating fic)

Dennis Hensley- Adventures in the 213

David Ebershoff - The Rose City

Neal Drinnan - Glove Puppet

Lewis Gannett- The Living

William Taylor - Pebble in a Pool

Michael Craft - Mark Manning mystery series

E. Lynn Harris- Just As I Am

Jamie James- Andrew and Joey

Christopher Rice- A Density of Souls, The Snow Garden, and Light Before Day

Edmund White - The Beautiful Room is Empty, A Boy's Own Story, and The Married Man

Joseph Olshan- Nightswimmer and Vanitas

David Leavitt - While England Sleeps

Alan Hollinghurst- The Swimming Pool Library, The Folding Star, The Spell, and The Line of Beauty

John Rechy- City of Night