[Corvus] The Letter Chest by Corvus

Anyway, the thought of Eliot just waiting for George to show up is very "Awwwww!" I'm going with that reason.

:devil:

And, Maddy's dealing with George is so beautiful. Her patience with his increasing inability to remember is a nice touch to the story. When they went for the ride to the cemetery, I was half expecting Maddy was taking George to a home where he could be controlled better. He seems to be at that stage where his safety is becoming a concern and a mentally impaired facility is just around the corner.

I actually never think of that. Obviously Maddy must have considered -- and rejected -- this option when George's symptoms began appearing. I would imagine she wants him to be around as long as possible, before, inevitably, he goes somewhere he can be professionally cared for. I'm actually very glad you brought it up -- it makes me realize that Maddy not only has to deal with the past, but also with the constant knowledge that, someday, she's going to have to take him to a "facility". :( It's giving me quite a lot of plot bunnies, actually... :D

Fantastic, corvus! I don't have anything to add to what has already been said except that I haven't seen a story depicting the brittle reality of age better written. Amazing.

Thanks. :)

Good story.

I was surprised by how pleasant George was. Very often people in the last stages of dementia can get quite volatile as their frustration and feelings of helplessness increase. Of course it isn't universal and it definitely makes George easier to deal with for his family.

Anyway, interesting story :)

-Kevin