Brett Favre

Okay...so all this stuff going on here in Packerland regarding the wonderful Brett Favre is really getting crazy. At the share-holders meeting the other day, people got down right vicious towards Ted Thompson and Mark Murphy. Chants of 'Bring Brett Back" and "Free Favre" were shouted throughout the Atrium. People want Brett back... but some people do not.

Brett retired. Brett is old. Brett has nothing more to prove. He is THE best NFL QB. He is the greatest football player the Packers have ever seen. He is not as good as he once was. His body is beat up, he is not in good condition. He needs to now spend time with his family and move on. I fear that he will injure himself very seriously, and then his football career will HAVE to end. I think that he should end his career now on a good foot. Brett had previously said that he had no desire to play on another team. Now there are talks of him doing just that. Which is totally his buisness. Brett is a wonderful guy. The things that he and his family have done around this community and through all of Green Bay have left a huge impact on all of the people here.

Now, if Brett were to come back and play for the Green Bay Packers, I do not think that he should be first string. That place, in my opinion now belongs to Aaron Rodgers. All summer the Packers have been traing to play with Rodgers this up and coming season. Brett and Rodgers are two different players, they have their own special abilities. Brett is a long passer, Aaron is not. I think it would be couter-productive for the team to have to 'forget' what they learned when it comes to Rodgers, and go back/relearn things if Brett returned.

So, what do you guys think?

• Site Administrator

I've been following the drama a bit up here.

I agree 100% with you Kurt.

Brett decided after much thought and conteplation to retire. The team accepted his retirement and knew that they had to change their current playbook, training and gameplan to the post Brett era. How much time and money have they invested in Rodgers, that Farvre thinks they can throw away and have him step in and win a Super Bowl this year.......possibly?

I would say he was my favourite NFL Quarterback over the past few years, but it is time to move on.

As far as him going to play for another team, I don't think he should be afforded that option. He signed a contract with the Packers and decided to retire. That means the Packers still have his rights. It would be insane to let him go make another team better just because he changed his mind.

This drama is a mix between business and personal feelings for all that are involved.

I don't envy you die hard cheeseheads at all :D .

Steve B)

Okay...so all this stuff going on here in Packerland regarding the wonderful Brett Favre is really getting crazy. At the share-holders meeting the other day, people got down right vicious towards Ted Thompson and Mark Murphy. Chants of 'Bring Brett Back" and "Free Favre" were shouted throughout the Atrium. People want Brett back... but some people do not.

Brett retired. Brett is old. Brett has nothing more to prove. He is THE best NFL QB. He is the greatest football player the Packers have ever seen. He is not as good as he once was. His body is beat up, he is not in good condition. He needs to now spend time with his family and move on. I fear that he will injure himself very seriously, and then his football career will HAVE to end. I think that he should end his career now on a good foot. Brett had previously said that he had no desire to play on another team. Now there are talks of him doing just that. Which is totally his buisness. Brett is a wonderful guy. The things that he and his family have done around this community and through all of Green Bay have left a huge impact on all of the people here.

Now, if Brett were to come back and play for the Green Bay Packers, I do not think that he should be first string. That place, in my opinion now belongs to Aaron Rodgers. All summer the Packers have been traing to play with Rodgers this up and coming season. Brett and Rodgers are two different players, they have their own special abilities. Brett is a long passer, Aaron is not. I think it would be couter-productive for the team to have to 'forget' what they learned when it comes to Rodgers, and go back/relearn things if Brett returned.

So, what do you guys think?

B) .................Gotta agree with you here, Bret was my hero, <_< ... butm hr e should stick to football. As I betr him in pool :lol: . In all seriousness, Brett is just too good and deserves yo be able to continue gis carerre.

Edited by Benji

Farve isn't going to be a Packer anymore. On announcing his retirement last year, the Packers went into high gear retooling their team around Aaron Rodgers. This included their draft and free agency pick ups, contracts and the design of their new offense.

Farve simply waited to long and the Packers were too far along in retooling their team to just chuck it and welcome him back.

The rumor is that there's going to be a trade with Atlanta. If that doesn't work out, if he is waved by the Packers, Atlanta has first option as a free agent on him because they drafted him and will own the rights to him.

Farve's value on the free agency market is limited by his age. Teams that might be interested in him are those with "quarterback of the future" but need an immediate starter and someone who can act as a player/coach. Other teams that might be interested are those with starters who are injury prone that want an experienced backup but Farve would probably be too expensive as a mere insurance policy.

Again- Atlanta is a good fit because they picked Matt Ryan out of BC in the first round. Other teams that might be interested are Cardinals and Matt Leinart, the 49ers with Alex Smith or Kansas City and Brodie Croyle.

If you're an NFL fan and interested, check out my annual NFL Projection/Preview blog entry.

He should have stayed, but once he said he'd retire - whether he was somewhat forced or not - and then had the itch to play again, he shouldn't be allowed back to the Packers. The reason being is obvious, they had already moved on, Aaron Rodgers started taking control of the team, to allow him back would be disaterous.

If he wants to play again though, he should be traded. Smart move would be to a team that'd be willing to give up a first round pick or two, and a second round pick. Regardless of who he goes to, the potential in return would help the Packers more than any other team.

Hope so, but what does that do to Aaron Rodgers psyche? Furthermore, a few people are still saying the Packers are going to wait until just before the opener to deal Favre (likely to Minnesota), because then he won't have as much time to get used to the system and players (timing is cruical afterall).

If I were in charge of the Packers, I would make him sit on the GB bench until his contract expires and then he can do as he wishes.

He is one of the legends of football, And a personal hero of mine, But I cannot count how many times in his career he has said that he will never play for another team. He is being wishy-washy now.

However, If anyone in the world has earned the right to be wishy-washy it would be #4, But when you tearfully have a press conference retiring from the game of football, NOT retiring from the GB Packers, Then in my opinion it tarnishes your own reputation when you wait until the last possible moment and then decide that you want to play again, And then to have a conniption fit when your old job isnt just handed to you on a silver platter really makes you lose a lot of respect from a lot of people.

Of course, This is all Bill Clinton's fault. He did not have sexual relations with that woman. That logic applied to the current situation--Brett"I have nothing left to offer the game of football." translation:"I wanna be a has-been one more year" :wacko:

If he does put on another uniform, He will lose a lot of respect.

And just for the record, #4 is an idiot for not taking $20 million to not play. That is kind of insulting to those of us who will never have that much money in a lifetime or a dozen lifetimes. Take the money and shut up or sit on the bench until your contract is up and then you can do as you please.

Just my 2 cents plus some change B)

Adios Brett.

I hope he enjoys his time in New York, Or that he at least accomplishes what he thinks he can accomplish going into a team that has never played with him and is totally unprepared to have him as QB.

I think now more than ever that the man is wishy-washy.

When he tearfully retired from football last year, err earlier this year, He didn't mean it. He wanted to play for a different team but he was too chicken-shit to publicly announce it, So instead he retired "from football".

Fast-forward to present day and the man himself makes the drama needed to get what he wants because there is no way the Packers could give him what he wanted just like that.

In a way, It makes me admire the man even more, But since I am a Packers fan it leaves a bad taste in my mouth at the same time, But not towards my team who did everything possible to make the man happy except to hand him to Minnesota on a silver platter.

I love Brett, But he sure did things in a childish back-asswards way.

And now, As a Packers fan(I just can't be a NY fan even if #4 plays for them) all I have to say is this:

Go Aaron!!!!!

Didn't Brett say he was kind of forced into retirement from Thompson because Thompson wanted him to make up his mind earlier instead of waiting like most people would for another month or so (like Brett normally does, right before [maybe a week before] draft day), just so they're still not wrapped up in what happened last year, how their body is feeling, etc...

If that's the case, when Brett finally thought about it and wanted to come back, obviously by then it was too late, so the only correct move would've been to trade him, which they did.

Edited by Yagami_Light

Brett is a Jet. That's right the New York Jets put up a 4th round conditional draft choice to acquire Farve.

He's got his work cut out for him. The Jets were 4-12 last year and at or near the bottom of most statistical categories.

If he was looking for a challenge, he's sure got one.

• Site Moderator

In my opinion, he should have stayed retired. And be remembered for the player he was before he retired and not remembered for his failed come back if it happens that way.

Warning: incredibly off-topic

Hm... you know... this might sound really, really gay.... but...

I truthfully don't even know how football works. What I do know is that Brett Favre lives down here, and I want his fence. It's pretty, very tastefully designed. :)

Okay... I'm shutting up. But really guys, it's a nice fence, it lights up and it has those nice white columnar thingies at the gate and yeah... I like it.

B) .................Gotta agree with you here, Bret was my hero, <_< ... butm hr e should stick to football. As I betr him in pool :lol: . In all seriousness, Brett is just too good and deserves yo be able to continue gis carerre.

Well I dont know much about american football. But Benji your typing there was just incredible. Thanks for the giggles! :P