A Geek Grows Up

• 1 year later...

After a bit of a delay - chapter 3 has arrived (Geek Grows Up) and chapter 4 is mostly written. I'm not too happy with it yet, so it might be a while before it arrives.

Some episodes are autobiographical - most are what I wanted to happen next.

Stuey (from NZ)

I like this story a lot. I was right there with Steven when he walked in on James and Andrew. I wanted to hit James when the turned on Steven. I smiled and sighed when he and Andrew hung the posters and was disappointed that nothing happened between them, although I supose that it would have been hard if he had. I had high hopes of David and... well Margaret was a heck of a shock :)

well like I said in responses to reviews - I wanted to attempt a little bit of 1980s New Zealand realism, and bust a few stereotypes:

1. Hero always knew he was gay and is totally accepting of that fact from the age of about 11.

My experience was that deep down I knew from when 14 or so, but I spent until I was about 23 not wanting to be gay, fooling around with women trying to be straight, and sneaking off to do what I really wanted to do with guys in various hookups.

I wanted Stephen to have a little bit of that.
  2. Parents appear in gay romance in only two roles:
    • Redneck parent(s) throw gay teenage sone out of house & home (with or without violence)
    • "Yes dear we always knew you were gay"

I wanted Stephen's parents to be a little less cardboard cutout, and trying to figure out if Stephen is or isn't just as much as Stephen.

[*]Hero lusts after best friend who turns out to have been jerking off for years lusting after our hero.

Alright I'll admit to having fallen for this one, but I at least wanted to make it a damn sight harder for our hero to end up in bed with his best friend.

Hope you're all enjoying it anyway.

Stuart