I am in a think-y mood...

clumber

Sadness is a constant in life.

People can be sad without any happiness, but they can't be happy without any sadness. Sdaness is, in effect, the base mood. Happiness is something that we strive towards to lay over the sadness. It doesn't completely remove sadness from our lives- that is impossible. People always have some problem or other. However, it can act as a sort of shield. When there are things in your life to make you happy, then there is less sadness, or you don't feel it so much.

Basically, people are always feeling some elements of sadness. They aren't, however, always feeling elements of happiness. That is why it is such a precious feeling.

Well, that's what I think anyway. What are your opinions?

Martin 0:)

I think (and hope) there is a big giant middle ground between the extremes of Happy and Sad :) .

I would settle for the middle ground ~anytime~ (I would happily take meds to live in the middle ground).

I think the middle-ground is the base.

:) .

• Site Administrator
People can be sad without any happiness, but they can't be happy without any sadness.

An interesting statement, but you haven't justified it. Of course, you haven't defined what you mean by 'sadness', either :P I suspect your definition is broader than mine because you seem to imply that you have to be sad or happy and that there are no other states. I can be angry, mad, upset, annoyed -- none of which equate to happy, but I don't consider them to equate to sad, either. Happiness and sadness are two emotions in a broad tapestry. I don't see emotions as being a spectrum from sad to happy (which is what you imply), but see things as a lot more complex than that.

Happiness and sadness are two emotions in a broad tapestry. I don't see emotions as being a spectrum from sad to happy (which is what you imply), but see things as a lot more complex than that.

As usual, I agree with Greame.

Also, for me being unhappy is not the same as being sad. Sadness is closer to melancholy than to unhappiness. But such fine definitions and usages of words are subjective.

This is what I believe:

People can make you unhappy. e.g. by hurting you physically or mentally. However, although people can create the conditions that are conducive to your happiness, they can't make you happy. Whether or not those happiness-conducive conditions actually make you happy depends on your own mental state - in a way, you have to be 'receptive to happiness'.

Kit

Sadness is a constant in life.

People can be sad without any happiness, but they can't be happy without any sadness. Sdaness is, in effect, the base mood. Happiness is something that we strive towards to lay over the sadness. It doesn't completely remove sadness from our lives- that is impossible. People always have some problem or other. However, it can act as a sort of shield. When there are things in your life to make you happy, then there is less sadness, or you don't feel it so much.

Basically, people are always feeling some elements of sadness. They aren't, however, always feeling elements of happiness. That is why it is such a precious feeling.

Martin 0:)

Martin,

Your angst cast a shadow on my afternoon. (Don't worry; I'll recover!) Please, tell me that you are working on a story idea and not expressing what you really feel.

The notion that good cannot exist without evil, that light cannot exist withoug darkness, that happiness cannot exist with sadness is not only not true, it is an indidious serpent that seeks to steal your mind.

It is a 6,000+ year old notion that the universe exists as a conflict betweem good and evil (Google "Zoroaster" for additional thoughts.). In a story, this conflict may become real...it's a legitimate construct. However, in whatever we consider to be reality, please know that good can exist without evil, and that love can exist without hate.

David M.

An interesting statement, but you haven't justified it. Of course, you haven't defined what you mean by 'sadness', either :P I suspect your definition is broader than mine because you seem to imply that you have to be sad or happy and that there are no other states. I can be angry, mad, upset, annoyed -- none of which equate to happy, but I don't consider them to equate to sad, either. Happiness and sadness are two emotions in a broad tapestry. I don't see emotions as being a spectrum from sad to happy (which is what you imply), but see things as a lot more complex than that.

Clumber,

You are correct in that emotions run a gamut from right to left, from black to white, from love to hate. On the other hand, I find it difficult to express anything other tha the strontest emotions in my writing. I would like to exlore ways of expressing "less than extreme" emotions in stories. David M.

On the other hand, I find it difficult to express anything other tha the strontest emotions in my writing. I would like to exlore ways of expressing "less than extreme" emotions in stories. David M.

Actually, I'm not sure what you mean by this, so perhaps I misunderstand and my response isn't appropriate. Anyway, here goes...

Presumably you feel 'less than extreme' emotions, so you know the siort of words that can express those feelings when you're talking to friends?

There are extreme words, such as "incandescent with rage" to express extreme emotions.

There are moderate words, such as "simmering resentment" to expres moderate emotions.

There are mild words, such as "a little bored and slightly melancholic" to express mild emotions.

Similarly, the emotions can be indicated by appropriate (extreme/moderate/mild) physical actions by a character.

In fact, it's quite rare in most my stories for characters to express extreme emotions at all. Probably my 'British reserve'! :)

Kit

There are extreme words, such as "incandescent with rage" to express extreme emotions.

There are moderate words, such as "simmering resentment" to expres moderate emotions.

There are mild words, such as "a little bored and slightly melancholic" to express mild emotions.

Similarly, the emotions can be indicated by appropriate (extreme/moderate/mild) physical actions by a character.

Then there is melodrama:

"Sister pissed me off! I am going to punch her in the neck. The Wh$%e." ~ My best friend, today (while driving).

She was only mildly annoyed.

I agree with Kit. Imagine how things happen between yourself and friends and then write that. It doesn't need to have an angry boil to be compelling.

Just real.

Then there is melodrama:

"Sister pissed me off! I am going to punch her in the neck. The Wh$%e." ~ My best friend, today (while driving).

She was only mildly annoyed.

I agree with Kit. Imagine how things happen between yourself and friends and then write that. It doesn't need to have an angry boil to be compelling.

Just real.

Demo,

Thank you for your reply. I do tend to use people I know as the basis for characters; it

Actually, I'm not sure what you mean by this, so perhaps I misunderstand and my response isn't appropriate. Anyway, here goes...

Presumably you feel 'less than extreme' emotions, so you know the siort of words that can express those feelings when you're talking to friends?

In fact, it's quite rare in most my stories for characters to express extreme emotions at all. Probably my 'British reserve'! :)

Kit

Kit,

Thank you for your thoughts. I

sadness :

Sadness is an emotion characterized by feelings of disadvantage, loss, and helplessness. When sad, people often become quiet, less energetic, and withdrawn. Sadness is considered to be the opposite of happiness, and is similar to the emotions of sorrow, grief, misery, and melancholy. The philosopher Baruch Spinoza defined sadness as the