Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

It's not really a Harris versus Gambon thing for me, because, sure, the actor has some say over how the character gets portrayed, but it's really more about the screenwriting and the direction. My issues with the portrayal of Dumbledore in GoF were that the real Dumbledore would never panic and freak out at everything, he would never shake Harry and manhandle students, he would never rage just to rage. Dumbledore can be extremely scary when he chooses to be, after all, he's the most powerful wizard in the world, but it's all calculated, and he has a deep love and affection for his students and for Harry in particular. Dumbledore in GoF was wrong, all wrong. OotP is a good example of what I mean. Same actor, different writing and direction = much better portrayal of Dumbledore.

And that's just one example of what I mean. The movie version of GoF didn't "get" the Harry Potter world. The movie version of OotP did. It's not so much about details; it's about being true to JK Rowling's vision. Something that I thought got lost in PoA and GoF, and got found again in OotP.

Would like to say I have high hopes for the HBP movie, but the trailers aren't looking too promising.

Would like to say I have high hopes for the HBP movie, but the trailers aren't looking too promising.

To be honest, I think the trailer looks awesome. But they've changed so much. I know that a movie can't stay 100% true to the book, but they aren't even trying with this one. So I'm choosing to look at the movies as a different version of the story. That way I can enjoy it for what it is; A good movie. But that's assuming that the movie will be good. And judging by the trailer, I hope and think that it will be.

• Site Moderator

This weekend, December 5 - 7, as part of their 25-days so Christmas, ABCFamily will have another of their Harry Potter weekends. During this time, they will be showing exclusive clips from The Half Blood Prince.