When you peel an egg..

Aeroplane

Peeling a hard-boiled egg.  

35 members have voted

1. 1. When you peel the egg do you..

• smash a hole in the egg, with a spoon, and then peel it with your fingers.
    • use the technique described below.
    • use some other tool.
    • You have never peeled an egg.
    • use a different technique.
    • not use any tool.

I love a full English breakfast, and I like the meat pies and pub food pretty well, too. I've never tried haggis, though. I had a hamburger once in the Edinburgh train station. That's as close to Scottish food as I've got. If I ever get to Victoria on Vancouver Is. or thereabouts, there's a place where I'd like to splurge on the English High Tea some day.

I'm with the hit-the-egg-on-the-counter crowd. I hit the side of the egg, in a very un-Swift-ian manner.

Kevin, you make it sound almost erotic. :P

0:)

As for the cuisine...I'm trying to be polite...I prefer American despite it's unhealthy nature. I actually liked haggis, but doubt it would be worth the effort of preparing it in a home kitchen. When a group of Americans I was with was offered "prune salad" as an appetizer, I was the only who made that choice. Everyone else was upset when I was served a shrimp cocktail (prawn salad).

:lol:

Personally I'm quite fond of English food as well. A favourite restaurant among my circle of friends is an English pub called the Black Labrador. Eventually I shall probably even write it into Worth A Shot.

-Kevin

I throw a baker's dozen of them at my professor's house and car...

... oh wait, hard-boiled eggs? Sorry I use raw eggs for that purpose... :P

The only time I've ever eaten a hard boiled egg, it was actually a deviled egg, and it was actually three deviled eggs total, and I was a tad... erm... inebriated, and couldn't decide whether I liked them or not. A friend's mom kept pushing them on me, and I was sooooo hungry, so I ate one, and it was like "OMG EW... wait... that tastes sorta good..."

~shrug~ I like my eggs scrambled or made into an omelet. Hard boiled eggs are icky.

I knock it on the counter or plate or some such thing, and I really like peeling hard-boiled eggs for some reason -- they're fascinating, they look a bit lie eye-balls, and then they stink a bit. I probably like peeling them because I never do it since I really, really don't like the taste and consistency of boiled eggs. Eww...

And I love British cuisine -- not everything and not always, but there are many really good British dishes that I miss when I'm not there. And I love how they have a habit of serving everything with chips, including lasagne... :D And a full English breakfast, not to mention an Ulster fry, is just, sigh, wonderful. When cooked correctly, of course. And a Sunday lunch with roast chicken, ham, and stuffing, boiled and roast potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and mushy peas -- mmmmm. :lol: I admit I didn't fully understand the deliciousness of it until I'd lived there for about a year, so I guess it's an acquired taste.

I could go on -- there's shepherd's pie, Cornish pasties, Yorkshire pudding, etc. etc. And all the desserts. I think they have the best apple pies in the world, for one thing, and their scones... Hmm, I think I'll go bake some scones now... ;)

P.S. Screw the salad. Vegetables should be eaten cooked, not raw, that's a health hazard. :P

LOL, well personally I like boiled eggs a lot. I think they're my favourite way to eat eggs actually. I don't like the yoke, and obviously it's easiest to get out if it's all still in tact :P

Egg whites are one of my favourite things to have in a salad, but I get really miffed if they're all broken up with the yoke and can't be easily separated :angry:

I'm not much of a fan for deviled eggs, again mostly because of the yoke thing.

Yokes themselves are easier to tolerate in an omelet or scrambled or something, and I do like those. I just find that boiling an egg is sort of like separating all the best and worst things about the egg, and it's nice to just throw away all the bad :P

Besides, who would eat a fetus? It's all about the placenta! :boy:

-Kevin

It's amazing how you can pack so much insult and inaccuracy into one sentence.

Your sampling of the country's food is either woefully out of date (pre 1990) or was based on a very unrepresentative sample.

Your knowledge of history is equally lacking. The centuries of warfare between England and Scotland culminated in a Scottish King James VI being crowned King James I of England. That may be interpreted as Scotland taking over England.

If you are referring to the later unification of the two kingdoms, then the Scottish parliament agreed to that, so it was hardly a takeover, except in the financial sense that Scotland was in financial difficulties and they agreed for financial reasons.

In the past I've advised ignorant people not to advertise their ignorance, but I no longer bother giving that advice as I've found they were too ignorant to take it.

Kit

Kit, I will, first of all, apologize for any inaccuracies or insult in the quoted statement, I wasn't trying to force a history lesson or hurt anyone, just have a good time. :D As far as packing it in? I guess that is just misguided talent... B) I'm Kelly, by the way. I apologize for the delay in responding to your post, but it was buried in the backlog since I logged in with my BlackBerry at one point and cookies got updated with new message counts.

The food I had in England was "not good"....and with the exception of the one "Pub meal" we ate (which was food we could get here), we were disappointed in even the hotel restaurant--when it was open. Our weeklong trip was at the end of a cruise in 2002, so we'll have to chalk it up to an unrepresentative sample...'cause I still want to go back for more touring....but with better food!

My ancestry on my father's side is mixed English, Irish and Scots, and I was never really a history buff, but must question James' sanity in choosing to take over England :king: :2hands: :ranger: ...<ahem!>... :P Is it possible that the Scot's created haggis as a "Gift" for the English? :wacko: I mean, even the name sounds like clearing your throat...nevermind that it didn't really look appetizing...sounds more like revenge if you ask me. :lol:

I take note that you were pinning the unification on the Scot's dismal financial situation....<just like someone to 'accuse' the Scots of weak financial wherewithal...> :P Of course, I've also heard the joke that copper wire was invented when a Jew and a Scotsman both grabbed a half-penny at the same time in the town square, neither one wanting to give it up to the other. :lol: (my husband is jewish, and this had him and his mother both rolling on the floor laughing)

BTW, I'm not ignorant, just uninformed--World History in High School was so compressed that the UK got short shrift in the lesson plan...ok? Besides, it turned into something more akin to current events because of the Iranian US Embassy Hostage situation back in '79...

Kelly

LOL, well personally I like boiled eggs a lot. I think they're my favourite way to eat eggs actually. I don't like the yoke, and obviously it's easiest to get out if it's all still in tact :P

Egg whites are one of my favourite things to have in a salad, but I get really miffed if they're all broken up with the yoke and can't be easily separated :angry:

I'm not much of a fan for deviled eggs, again mostly because of the yoke thing.

Yokes themselves are easier to tolerate in an omelet or scrambled or something, and I do like those. I just find that boiling an egg is sort of like separating all the best and worst things about the egg, and it's nice to just throw away all the bad :P

Besides, who would eat a fetus? It's all about the placenta! :boy:

-Kevin

Wait, what? Birds have yokes in their eggs??? Wow! And people eat yokes?? They must have teeth make of stone!

Kevin, a yoke is a connecting mechanism often used to connect a transmission output shaft to the drive shaft of a car or truck, or otherwise connect drive wheels to a vehicles power source. You're referring to yolk.

Also from Wikipedia:

A yoke is a wooden beam which is used between a pair of oxen to allow them to pull a load (oxen almost always work in pairs). There are several types, used in different cultures, and for different types of oxen. A pair of oxen is also called a yoke of oxen, and yoke is also used as a verb: to yoke a pair of oxen.

The more you know!

I'm so bored right now...

And I love how they have a habit of serving everything with chips, including lasagne

I ordered moussaka in London years ago. In addition to the pastry it contained a lot of potatoes. It was served, of course, with "chips" (fries to me) and bread (maybe garlic toast).

I don't like the yoke [sic], and obviously it's easiest to get out if it's all still in tact :P

Egg whites are one of my favourite things to have in a salad

We ought to get together to share eggs, sort of like Mr. and Mrs. Sprat. Egg whites used to make me gag. I've got more used to them, though, but I still pick out the deviled egg halves that appear to have the most filling and the least white. If I have enough yolk to cover up the whites then I can tolerate them pretty well. I love omelets and other wise I get eggs scrambled, for that reason. If I have an unscrambled fried egg, I want the yolk runny enough to flavor the whites.

Generally the eggs we get are unfertilized, so there is no embryo. The yolk consists of nutrients for the chick (if there were one) to live off while it develops.

The food I had in England was "not good"....'cause I still want to go back for more touring....but with better food!

London used to have some of the best Chinese and Indian food around, and I doubt that's changed. That's probably true for other ethnicities, too.

The last time I was there, McDonald's seemed to be everywhere, so you can eat "Scottish" food.

I ordered moussaka in London years ago. In addition to the pastry it contained a lot of potatoes. It was served, of course, with "chips" (fries to me) and bread (maybe garlic toast).

We ought to get together to share eggs, sort of like Mr. and Mrs. Sprat. Egg whites used to make me gag. I've got more used to them, though, but I still pick out the deviled egg halves that appear to have the most filling and the least white. If I have enough yolk to cover up the whites then I can tolerate them pretty well. I love omelets and other wise I get eggs scrambled, for that reason. If I have an unscrambled fried egg, I want the yolk runny enough to flavor the whites.

Generally the eggs we get are unfertilized, so there is no embryo. The yolk consists of nutrients for the chick (if there were one) to live off while it develops.

London used to have some of the best Chinese and Indian food around, and I doubt that's changed. That's probably true for other ethnicities, too.

The last time I was there, McDonald's seemed to be everywhere, so you can eat "Scottish" food.

I tried to stay away from the McDonalds' and Burger Kings while we were there...but I finally had to give in after a long day touring...it was just too easy to get a Coke there...

I normally bang the egg a few times against the counter and open it with my hands. The part I hate about doing that is when I would over do it and the eggshell gets so many cracks, it becomes even harder to open it. Those small egg shell cracks start poking!

Yep yep. I bang it and just keep banging in on the counter and then I try and peel it and it usually doesnt come off in one piece and the ity-bity pieces of shell get under my fingernails and that hurts.

I usually throw away the yolk and then split the white into 6 or so pieces and then shower the pieves with lot of salt and then eat them.

I run it under cold water then hit it lightly again and again on a hard surface until it's a mosaic of broken shell then break the membrane thing underneath with my nails and peel it by hand.

Edited by writeincode

I have to have my other half peel my eggs, can't stand the smell, makes me retch every time. Of course, I can't really eat them either cos of said smell, which makes the first exercise pointless. :D

As for Haggis, ewww, do you people have any idea what's in that s*it, gross. How anyone can knowingly eat sheep's stomach, filled with lambs lungs & heart (amongst other things), is beyond me.

Anyway, I'm off to have my bland British breakfast, followed by equally dull coffee, followed by a certain American, spit roasted slowly over a fire with a apple in his mouth! Yum. :P

Edited by Sir_Galahad