Flu pandemic concern grows with more U.S. cases

JamesSavik

Source Link

By Adriana Barrera and Stephanie Nebehay

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:54pm

MEXICO CITY/GENEVA (Reuters) - A new flu that has killed up to 68 people in Mexico could start a global epidemic, the World Health Organization warned on Saturday, as tests showed the strain might be spreading in the United States.

Mexico's crowded capital, where most of the deaths happened and home to some 20 million people, hunkered down in fear of the swine flu.

Tests confirmed that eight New York City schoolchildren had a type A influenza virus that was likely to be the swine flu, the city's health commissioner said. Kansas state health officials confirmed two cases of swine flu, CNN reported, adding to the original eight cases in the United States.

Officials from WHO and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention helped Mexican health experts test hundreds of patients with flu symptoms for the never-before-seen virus.

In Mexico City, parents canceled kids' parties, bars were closed and residents stocked up on DVDs as people stayed home for the weekend to avoid contamination.

"I think it's worse than they're telling us," said 35-year-old Lidia Diaz, sniffling and wearing a surgical mask as she headed to a clinic in the capital.

<more>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Source Link

By Adriana Barrera and Stephanie Nebehay

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:54pm

MEXICO CITY/GENEVA (Reuters) - A new flu that has killed up to 68 people in Mexico could start a global epidemic, the World Health Organization warned on Saturday, as tests showed the strain might be spreading in the United States.

Mexico's crowded capital, where most of the deaths happened and home to some 20 million people, hunkered down in fear of the swine flu.

Tests confirmed that eight New York City schoolchildren had a type A influenza virus that was likely to be the swine flu, the city's health commissioner said. Kansas state health officials confirmed two cases of swine flu, CNN reported, adding to the original eight cases in the United States.

Officials from WHO and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention helped Mexican health experts test hundreds of patients with flu symptoms for the never-before-seen virus.

In Mexico City, parents canceled kids' parties, bars were closed and residents stocked up on DVDs as people stayed home for the weekend to avoid contamination.

"I think it's worse than they're telling us," said 35-year-old Lidia Diaz, sniffling and wearing a surgical mask as she headed to a clinic in the capital.

<more>

I won't be surprised if this hits us hard either, I did not get my shot this year, I hope I don't get this flu, most likely it would kill me.

I won't be surprised if this hits us hard either, I did not get my shot this year, I hope I don't get this flu, most likely it would kill me.

Don't think the flu shot would have saved you from this one.

Most people don't think twice about the flu but it can be a serious matter. The flu virus is genetically unstable and prone to mutations. Every year there are dozens of strains of new flu virus. Only the heartiest, most virulent virus emerges and sweeps the globe.

Occasionally that mutation will be something that human immune systems can't easily handle. The last great global flu pandemic took place in 1917-18. It circled the globe and killed over 20 million people. It so weakened the big Western powers that it hastened then end of WWI.

Even a moderately bad flu can cause problems to the very young and very old. It is a serious menace to immune-compromised persons.

We may take thins one on the chin because it would take at least six months to make vaccine to this flu strain.

Most likely as flu season winds down, so will the virus. It may or may not come back next year.

Most people don't think twice about the flu but it can be a serious matter. The flu virus is genetically unstable and prone to mutations. Every year there are dozens of strains of new flu virus. Only the heartiest, most virulent virus emerges and sweeps the globe.

Occasionally that mutation will be something that human immune systems can't easily handle. The last great global flu pandemic took place in 1917-18. It circled the globe and killed over 20 million people. It so weakened the big Western powers that it hastened then end of WWI.

Even a moderately bad flu can cause problems to the very young and very old. It is a serious menace to immune-compromised persons.

We may take thins one on the chin because it would take at least six months to make vaccine to this flu strain.

Most likely as flu season winds down, so will the virus. It may or may not come back next year.

What I find a little frustrating about this thing (the swine flu) is that they (the news) talk about the outbreak, but they don't tell you specifically where. Should one avoid all of Mexico, or all of the US (tough for some of us to do), or are there specific areas that are more dangerous that should be entered with caution?

Maybe it's because I'm going to Mexico in a couple of weeks that I'm nervous. I guess I really don't have to worry since I'm not old like Benji. :P

Don't think the flu shot would have saved you from this one.

:( ...............True, but you would think the CDC (think that's right) would have developed a vaccine by now. Given the proficiency of our labs and the years they had in preparing for this flu!

Flu is exceptionally hard to track. It travels by vectors or people or animals that have it. People can jump on a plane and be around the world overnight. Animals can migrate for thousands of miles.

There is really no way to track it but I've seen reports in California, Mexico and Kansas. There is no point in making plans to avoid it because we'll always be a wek behind it which means that its all over the West coast, Miswest and South West.

Flu is exceptionally hard to track. It travels by vectors or people or animals that have it. People can jump on a plane and be around the world overnight. Animals can migrate for thousands of miles.

There is really no way to track it but I've seen reports in California, Mexico and Kansas. There is no point in making plans to avoid it because we'll always be a wek behind it which means that its all over the West coast, Miswest and South West.

:( ...........Kinda reminds me of that Stephen King novel 'The Stand' where the flu killed off 99% of the population. Not trying to be dramatic here, just wondering if the USA or another country has developed a vaccine yet, if not we could see widespread deaths in the 3rd world.

Actually, the 1918 Spanish flu killed those who were the strongest and children and old were better off. That sort of flu used to provike a very healty immune system to go into overload and flooding the lungs with liquid.

So far they haven't indicated that this new bug would do that.

Just wash hands. Don't touch common things in public (like holding bars in subway, stairways, etc). If you get sick, don't go out.

USA or another country has developed a vaccine yet

It takes months to develop one for each new flu virus. Mainly due to the time to produce them massively. It just cannot be done in a day.

Edited by Jack Frost

It takes months to develop one for each new flu virus. Mainly due to the time to produce them massively. It just cannot be done in a day.

:( ..........Your probably right in the time estimate, I would think our people can react sooner though!

What I find a little frustrating about this thing (the swine flu) is that they (the news) talk about the outbreak, but they don't tell you specifically where. Should one avoid all of Mexico, or all of the US (tough for some of us to do), or are there specific areas that are more dangerous that should be entered with caution?

Maybe it's because I'm going to Mexico in a couple of weeks that I'm nervous. I guess I really don't have to worry since I'm not old like Benji. :P

Mexico? Taking that vaction up that i suggested are you?? haha

But Seriously guys...i really don't get why people freek out when a recorded 68 or 100 people die....sure take a look why to prevent more sure but when 50,000 or a couple million die, then we got something serious! cuz there's 6.6 billion people. We can afford to lose a few....hopefully the bigots :D

Anyway anyone a fan of Miss Cali now a days??? Sorry off topic.

But SARS in Canada was HUGE for a bit and then now it's down to 0 when China still has a part outbreak...i believe.

MArk~

:angry: ................Who are you calling old!!!!!! :P

Update;

Mexico declares a "Public Health Emergency" with 68 deaths

World Health Organisation (WHO) today declared the swine flu outbreak an international public health emergency.

CDC Reports Confirmed Cases in: Texas, New York, Massachusetts, Kansas, Nebraska, California

Australia Issues Travel Warning to North America, Considers Quarintine of Returning Tourists

Downing Street/Parliment in special session with Communicable Diseases Branch

EU Considers Halting Trans-Atlantic Aire Traffic

Holy Crap- depending on the panic buttons pushed, things are going to start happening automatically now.

Sunday will be a critical day. If WHO takes the lead on this our hemisphere could soon see itself under quarentine.

Update;

Mexico declares a "Public Health Emergency" with 68 deaths

World Health Organisation (WHO) today declared the swine flu outbreak an international public health emergency.

CDC Reports Confirmed Cases in: Texas, New York, Massachusetts, Kansas, Nebraska, California

Australia Issues Travel Warning to North America, Considers Quarintine of Returning Tourists

Downing Street/Parliment in special session with Communicable Diseases Branch

EU Considers Halting Trans-Atlantic Aire Traffic

Holy Crap- depending on the panic buttons pushed, things are going to start happening automatically now.

Sunday will be a critical day. If WHO takes the lead on this our hemisphere could soon see itself under quarentine.

Yeah. Big deal. Like they're so successful at stopping immigration anyway. :P

Hey, maybe that's the solution to the immigration problem! We'll just quarantine the US!

Interesting Now i'm currious to see toronto shut down it's travel again....so many people hated that. -.-

No... Most likely it would be most effective to shut down the borders as there are no flu cases in Canada... yet.

The flu hits young healthy adults, eerie reminder of 1918 Spanish flu. Too early to tell. It's not understandable why the Mexician varity is deader than the American one, which is mild.

Edited by Jack Frost

No... Most likely it would be most effective to shut down the borders as there are no flu cases in Canada... yet.

The flu hits young healthy adults, eerie reminder of 1918 Spanish flu. Too early to tell. It's not understandable why the Mexician varity is deader than the American one, which is mild.

B) ....................This flu is already world wide, with travel being the way it is today, I predict 10 million dead from it.

Edited by Benji

B) ....................This flu is already world wide, with travel being the way it is today, I predict 10 million dead from it.

Ten million? Wow. You are in a pessimistic mood tonight. :P Let's hope you're wrong on this one.

Ten million? Wow. You are in a pessimistic mood tonight. :P Let's hope you're wrong on this one.

B) ................Sorry! But with the 3rd world nation out there, I think the number is right in there!

B) ................Sorry! But with the 3rd world nation out there, I think the number is right in there!

Benji, relax a little more that you live in the 21st century. Treatments for complications from the flu have gotten much better than a hundred years ago. Vaccines, anti-viral drugs, etc. Hospitals have supplies to treat common complications that aren't unique to the flu. Etc. We're much less likely to die from the flu than our great-grandparents.

No one has died in the USA yet despite 20 cases. That is why it's hard to understand why is it like that when Mexicans are dying.

The UK aren't banning travel, saw our health minister on a chat show earlier today. in agreement with the WHO apparently that banning travel does not do anything to stop the threat, but causes lots more of other types of problems. they'll just be watching people who fly back with flu symptoms and deal with them straight away.

It is the US that has declared it an international public health emergency. the WHO have said it has pandemic potential, but believe that the world is better equipped to deal with it. they have stopped short of declaring worldwide alert.

Edited by Smarties

I just saw this comment on one of the Guardian articles :)

++STOP PRESS++

Reports are coming in of an international outbreak of "World Health Organisationitis" (WHO). The last pandemic of WHO occurred (at the time of bird flu) in 2005 and swept across the globe in a matter hours causing widespread symptoms amongst its most vulnerable victims - the Press.

WHO symptoms include raving headline writing, a propensity to prophesy the end of the world, and generally talking gibberish. Concerned public should watch out for early-warning signs of WHO - which include broadcasting images of a couple of gullible people wearing medical face-masks in a crowd of hundreds of people normally going about their everyday lives.

"World Health Organisationitis" also affects memory - its acute symptoms normally flare up for about a week before it is completely forgotten about. Large injections of cash are believed to keep the WHO virus alive.

To avoid infection, the public are advised to wear earplugs whilst the alarm is in its contagious phase. This completely cures the problem.

-don't worry I know it is serious

Edited by Smarties

Deadly swine flu outbreak 'can't be contained'

Posted Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:32am AEST

Updated Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:12am AEST

Source Link

The strain of swine flu is suspected of killing as many as 60 people in Mexico. (Reuters: Jorge Dan Lopez)

The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says an unusual new flu virus has spread widely and cannot be contained, as the World Health Organisation urges governments to be on the alert.

"It is clear that this is widespread," the CDC's Dr Anne Schuchat told reporters.

"And that is why we have let you know that we cannot contain the spread of this virus."

Cases have been identified in New Zealand, Israel

Deadly swine flu outbreak 'can't be contained'

Posted Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:32am AEST

Updated Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:12am AEST

Source Link

The strain of swine flu is suspected of killing as many as 60 people in Mexico. (Reuters: Jorge Dan Lopez)

The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says an unusual new flu virus has spread widely and cannot be contained, as the World Health Organisation urges governments to be on the alert.

"It is clear that this is widespread," the CDC's Dr Anne Schuchat told reporters.

"And that is why we have let you know that we cannot contain the spread of this virus."

Cases have been identified in New Zealand, Israel

And Canada now.