Today the nicest thing happened at work. This old American tourist was in the shop. She stopped to ask me about a promotion we have on, I was all polite to her and explained how the offer works and how much she would save. Two minutes later im being called to the customer service desk because a customer wants to congratulate the manager on the excelent cutomer service in the store. Yes you guessed it it was the Old American lady. So im listing things i like about America because she made me feel great!

Things I like about America......

Americans can be the politest customers on earth.

Kellogs is an American company and make the best cereal

Coca cola is american even if it does destroy your insides

American people are the best at getting things together when times get tough

Americans always wish you a nice day when you serve/help them (at least in my experience)

America has given us some of the best bands in the world.

American comedy is great

Ford made my car, and its air con!

American movies are great

The best for last most of you guys are American! :2thumbs:

I have to agree with everything you said Dave. Since I came to live here, I've fallen in love with the place, it's become home. Here are a few things I love about it:

Despite their intense differences in religion, beliefs, and political ideologies, Americans band together like no other group in the face of adversity.

Americans at large are very open warm hearted people.

Americans have created a society in which a patchwork of different cultures have come together to form a bond of strength that has yet to be broken.

All I can say is that after living in the UK and here, and seeing alot of the rest of the world it dosen't take long to realise that despite the small problems, it still is a great piece of country. :2thumbs:

I love American Football. IMO it is the greatest sport on earth. I love Hooters. We do come up with some good music, I do love Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and the Who though. I love our diversity. Taking the best of all of the different cultures can only makes us a better society. I love Disneyworld. I love cake(that's for you Mag). I love my wife who is American. I also love the fact that I can openly say what an idiot our president is. Though there are many problems here, I still am proud to call it home.

I love American Football. IMO it is the greatest sport on earth. I love Hooters. We do come up with some good music, I do love Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and the Who though. I love our diversity. Taking the best of all of the different cultures can only makes us a better society. I love Disneyworld. I love cake(that's for you Mag). I love my wife who is American. I also love the fact that I can openly say what an idiot our president is. Though there are many problems here, I still am proud to call it home.

I agree with all of this. We must mark this down as one of the rare occasions that we agree completely. Well, maybe not with loving myself, but I love my husband so.....

I also love baseball Go Cubbies. :P

Mag

I love American Football. IMO it is the greatest sport on earth.

Sorry man, hockey is the best sport on the face of the earth. Betty even told me herself.

:king: Snow Dog

Hockey ends up in a tie way too often to be a better sport. Get rid of the 'icing' and 'two-line pass' rules.

Hockey has also become more of a boxing match than a hocky game. I enjoy watching olympic hocky since there is no fighting. I just can't enjoy watching people get their faces bashed in.

Mag

Edited by Sugarmag

I love America (not the rock group, the country), but I have to respond here...

The amount of fighting in NHL hockey has declined significantly in the past 20 years. This is true if you look at the number of actual 'fights' on tape, the number of penalties leveled for fighting, OR what is being defined as 'fighting' (it takes far less now).

The days of the all-ice brawl are pretty much over. Hockey fights are heavily controlled battles between 2 players, and they are broken up the instant one player hits the ice or gains too great an advantage.

Is it the same as international or college competition? No. But without going all Don Cherry on anyone's ass, there are reasons to doubt that the international or college games are actually 'safer' for players either. The problem of hockey violence is not really one of 'fighting.' It's about stickwork that breaks bones, trips/slewfoots that take out knees, and elbows/charging that increase concussions.

Can Olympic hockey be more exciting to watch than the NHL? Sure, of course. Because you've taken the absolute elite skaters in the world, and for the top 6-8 countries, their best players are more talented than the NHL average team. But this has nothing to do with fighting. It has to do with a watered-down NHL talent pool due to over-expansion that even the influx of more international players could not keep up with.

If the NHL dropped at least 4 teams, you'd see a nice across the board improvement in the quality of play. Of course, we still have the problem that international ice is bigger, and you can't go rebuilding every NHL arena just because players are faster, bigger, and stronger now. I'll happily debate whether two-line passes should be offsides. I'm inclined to think they should be allowed. But the ice would STILL be clogged with players. If you can't make the ice bigger, you need to create more space. The solution? 4 on 4 all the time. So now, we have fewer teams playing 4 on 4 all the time - bam, the hockey starts looking a lot better. Only the NHLPA hates me, because I've cut all those jobs.

Icing, btw, is absolutely necessary if you don't want teams to be able to throw the puck ahead to no one in particular. It makes the game more interesting, not less.

I've heard that they may be instituting shoot-outs in the NHL (now that a deal has been reached) to avoid having so many regular season ties. I think it's a silly solution to a non-problem. A good hockey game can end in a tie. Go ahead, kiss your sister. Get over it. I'll let JR handle talking to those 'fans' who think shoot-outs are needed because hockey is 'boring' if there is no clear winner to a regular season game.

Awarding extra points to the team that has the better goalie or more talented top 5 breakaway types make no sense. Hockey is hockey and shoot-outs are NOT hockey. Let the points be decided by playing hockey. In the playoffs, we have sudden death OT however long it takes and nothing tops that. Now, we can't do that in the regular season, but perhaps OT should be a little longer (10 minutes or even 20).

It's more feasible if they drop the number of games in the season, which they should. The hockey regular season is far too long. Maybe 50 games isn't perfect if you want an unbalanced schedule and to play every team at least once. But the number of games should be closer to 50 than 80. Fewer games with more importance - and a longer OT if need be - now the regular season games get more exciting, count more. [The playoffs don't neeed fixing, they are great.] And now, the NHL owners hate me, because I've just destroyed all the revenue from the games not being played.

Ok. Must stop now before this turns into a rant...

I've been to other countries, but never lived in another one. That said, the best part about it is our freedom to fight (rhetorically speaking). The first Amendment rules and I love it.

More specifically I love the technology industry and the writers that come out of here (though I love writers from everywhere), and I love our weird twisted history :)

Never watched a game of Hocky, isn't that a canadian game eh?

//shadows

I love America (not the rock group, the country),  ...

[hockey stuff deleted]

Ok. Must stop now before this turns into a rant...

1. Too late.
  2. I like America more than everyone else because I am me.
  3. :off: I agree with everything you said about hockey except making regular season OT longer. Since they generally stop selling beer in the 3rd, I don't want to have to sit there and watch a potential full period without a beer in my hand. While sister kissers leave a bad taset in my mouth, I would rather just end the thing without watching a bunch of tired players take the chance of getting hurt for an additional point in the standings that may or may not be worth it.

The only thing I would add is that they should add to the rules that Fraser :thumbdown: is no longer allowd to officiate :P
  4. I'm sorry everyone now hates you :(

Edited by Snow Dog
I love American Football. IMO it is the greatest sport on earth.

Sorry man, hockey is the best sport on the face of the earth. Betty even told me herself.

Hockey ends up in a tie way too often to be a better sport. Get rid of the 'icing' and 'two-line pass' rules.

Hockey has also become more of a boxing match than a hocky game. I enjoy watching olympic hocky since there is no fighting. I just can't enjoy watching people get their faces bashed in.

Mag

The fighting in Hockey bothers you? Hell that's what livens up the slow times. Even if your team loses, at least they can kick someone's ass.

No wonder you like Baseball. Such a rainbow sport.

Hmm, I've never watched ice hockey just because it's not popular here so isn't on tv, but I doubt the violence would put me off...doesn't it get distracting though? I mean, I like to watch boxing which is by its very nature violent, but that's the point of it, the point of Hockey's not violence as far as I can gather...just wondered if it was distracting?