• IE8
    • FIREFOX
    • OPERA
    • GOOGLE CHROME
    • AOL INTEGRATED BROWSER
    • SAFARI
    • MAXTHON
    • OTHER [State choice below]

Well personally since this thread has started have given opera a try and I love it. It works for me I have all my fave sites in the speed dial settings. If my computer or laptop crashes I can get right back to where i left off. Other than that I like Chrome too

I think what has totally shocked me is just how badly IE has actually done in this survey, whilst the browser of choice is clearly Firefox!

Now, I'm no fan of IE8, but with all the new updates since this thread started, it actually works perfectly.

Opera is pretty, functional and would be my browser of choice, except, it still has issues with Vista and Java. Maybe the full release of Opera 10 will have the fixes for the problems I encountered.

Opera is pretty, functional and would be my browser of choice, except, it still has issues with Vista and Java. Maybe the full release of Opera 10 will have the fixes for the problems I encountered.

I have had no problems with Opera 10 and Vista. I do feel your pain on Java though. However, I believe this is because of Karaken, the new Java rendering engine and should be fixed by 10 stable.

Kevin: I had 80 tabs open in one Opera window, and it gives a little preview of the page when you hover over the tab. Perfect for whatever it is you do with 60 tabs open at once. Jus' sayin'...

Edited by Tarin

I have had no problems with Opera 10 and Vista. I do feel your pain on Java though. However, I believe this is because of Karaken, the new Java rendering engine and should be fixed by 10 stable.

Kevin: I had 80 tabs open in one Opera window, and it gives a little preview of the page when you hover over the tab. Perfect for whatever it is you do with 60 tabs open at once. Jus' sayin'...

Why would anyone want 80 tabs open? :blink:

Yeah, Java is my main beef with Opera, it's a royal pain in the ass. So for the moment just use IE8 for most things.

I do use mini-opera on my cell, and it's improved performance by a huge amount. Much quicker than anything else I've come accross.

Why would anyone want 80 tabs open? :blink:

I was just experimenting. Kevin said he has 3 FF with 12 tabs each open sometimes. I just wanted to have one more reason Opera rocks. I succeeded.

• Site Moderator
Just a heads up... those of you still using IE6... upgrade soon...

Reasons why... go here:

Reason to upgrade your browser

*Note: It's a GA reason... not M$ reason*

The newest version of the forum software is due to be released soon, so if you want things to work properly, upgrade your browsers.

To all of those that are having issues with Opera 10 and Vista, are you sure everything is updated on it? I've been using Opera for years and I haven't run into any problems with Java or Vista when I upgraded. I've had my browser crash ONCE since I've been using it. And the only reason it did so was because I was trying to mess with too many settings at once with the new technical beta preview that's out.

For those of you that DO use Opera and have the beta version, may I suggest getting a new version with the Opera Unite build. I've been playing around with it and so far I think it's amazing.

Opera Unite is a unique technology that turns any computer or device running Opera into a Web server. In other words, your computer (running Opera Unite) is truly part of the fabric of the Web, rather than just interacting with it, and it’s something anyone can use. With Opera Unite, everyday non-technical users can serve and share content and services directly from their own computers in the form of intuitive applications. That sounds kind of cool from a technology point of view, but what can you do with it, and why is it important?

My desktop stays on and connected to the Internet 24 hours a day, so this is perfect for me. As long as I leave Opera open in the background, I can have secure access to all my files and music from any other computer using any other browser. It beats the hell out of dumping all your files on a server or paying for a service that basically does the same thing.

To all of those that are having issues with Opera 10 and Vista, are you sure everything is updated on it? I've been using Opera for years and I haven't run into any problems with Java or Vista when I upgraded. I've had my browser crash ONCE since I've been using it. And the only reason it did so was because I was trying to mess with too many settings at once with the new technical beta preview that's out.

For those of you that DO use Opera and have the beta version, may I suggest getting a new version with the Opera Unite build. I've been playing around with it and so far I think it's amazing.

My desktop stays on and connected to the Internet 24 hours a day, so this is perfect for me. As long as I leave Opera open in the background, I can have secure access to all my files and music from any other computer using any other browser. It beats the hell out of dumping all your files on a server or paying for a service that basically does the same thing.

Interesting, will certainly check it out when I get home on Saturday.

The problem I have with O-10 is mainly Java chat. It doesn't want to open the chat screen. But, if I refresh the page, it opens it! Go figure.

Plus there is a problem with online banking pages plus a few other sites where the coding is all over the place.

Will try Unite though and see if it fares any better.

Banking pages were a problem for me with previous versions of Opera as well. But I know at least with the newest version, Bank of America will work now without any kind of fuss.

• 2 weeks later...

What I find is ironic, is that IE8 is still having certain issues with this site, mostly on the profile pages.

I did take your advice and installed Opera Unite and everything seems to be working just fine now. That said there's no chat to try it on, but am forever hopeful! :P

What I find is ironic, is that IE8 is still having certain issues with this site, mostly on the profile pages...

I've not seen problems with IE8 and this site. Any specific problems you can relate?

I do have problems downloading audio books from the library...they appear as 'music' rather than an audio book (in iTunes). I think the library is planning to blame the browser...

I've not seen problems with IE8 and this site. Any specific problems you can relate?

I do have problems downloading audio books from the library...they appear as 'music' rather than an audio book (in iTunes). I think the library is planning to blame the browser...

When I view profiles, the My Information section..IE: age, location etc, are all bunched up and not in any particular order. If I view with Opera they come out just fine!

Manic Poster Age: 28 years old Birthday: November 10, 1980 Gender:Male Sexuality:Gay Age:28 Location:South Coast - United Kingdom

Above is exactly how it reads on IE8, rather than on separate lines!

When you think that something is running just fine, Opera Unite introduce an update which screws the whole thing up! Whatever this upgrade has done has stopped me being able to use it to log into GA! All I keep getting is:

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10146] You do not have permission to use the search system.

Basically it doesn't allow me to log in, or just ignores the fact that I have. Have uninstalled and loaded the software again but it's the same problem. Having the same issues on my desktop as well.

Well I use Internet Explorer 8, Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome on a daily basis because of my love of Web Design. They all have their perks...Except Internet Explorer...

Firefox is the fastest.

Safari is the best to organize bookmarks.

I love how each tab is it's own process.

But, all in all firefox will remain in my heart as the best browser. <3

When you think that something is running just fine, Opera Unite introduce an update which screws the whole thing up! Whatever this upgrade has done has stopped me being able to use it to log into GA! All I keep getting is:

Basically it doesn't allow me to log in, or just ignores the fact that I have. Have uninstalled and loaded the software again but it's the same problem. Having the same issues on my desktop as well.

I have no such error with Opera 10 Beta 2. The new Opera Unite version that was just released (the second one) is not stable and Opera clearly points this out.

If you are not relying on Unite already I suggest Opera 10 Beta 2, it is more stable than Beta 1 or Unite 1 and the new JavaScript engine (Karaken?) is much better.

Well I use Internet Explorer 8, Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome on a daily basis because of my love of Web Design.

I have no such error with Opera 10 Beta 2. The new Opera Unite version that was just released (the second one) is not stable and Opera clearly points this out.

If you are not relying on Unite already I suggest Opera 10 Beta 2, it is more stable than Beta 1 or Unite 1 and the new JavaScript engine (Karaken?) is much better.

Opera is "faster" than Firefox. Also I hate when web designers ignore Opera. If your web page will be viewed in Europe, especially eastern Europe, Opera is one of the most dominant browsers there. Plus Opera is one of the best browsers for web standards, so you know if you are coding correctly or just lazy.

I actually never new that. My teacher said that Firefox was the best browser for web standards. I also though Opera was dieing. :P *goes and downloads Opera*

It's the Beta 2 it upgraded it to. Have managed to get it up and running again on my desktop, but have to refuse the upgrade otherwise I'll have the same problem again.

Opera is not anywhere near death. It actually is gaining users worldwide and has one of the fastest mobile browsers available, Opera Mini.

Opera's rendering engine Presto passed to Acid3 on the same day that WebKit (Safari's rendering engine) did for Mac. The current Opera 10 beta 2 (Presto) release scores 100/100 on the acid3 test. Chrome (WebKit) scores 100/100 on the Chromium beta. Safari (WebKit) scores 100/100 on a stable release (4.0.2). Mozilla Firefox (Gecko) scores 94/100 on a preview release. IE8 (Trident) scores 20/100.

Yes, I am aware I need a life.

Strange, I'm running Vista and have no problems at all. *shrug*

>.< I just got owned.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed over to FireFox when I got to vista

Now - Its Google Chrome

But still I like FireFox too.

Chrome is very fast - google made it open source so that many can learn from their own mistakes.

its written in c++ not c#

perhaps so it can run under other operating systems - i.e. mac - they don't have c# or vb.net

• Site Administrator

Just some real stats from Gay Authors in the last 30 days:

IE = 45%

FireFox = 35%

Safari = 11%

Chrome = 4%

Opera = 3%

Over the IE users, 45% use IE7 and 43% use IE 8. The remaining people are still using IE 6. (they need to wake up to 2009)

Operating Systems:

Windows = 82%

Mac = 12%

Linux = 1.42%

Iphone = 1.41%

IPod = 1.33%

Of the Windows users:

Windows XP: 57%

Windows Vista: 40%

Windows NT: 1%

Windows 2000: 1%

Popular Combos: