The Dark Arts (Harry Potter Universe)

Tiger

I've always considered myself more or less neutral in alignment. So, I wouldn't have a problem using any dark magic if it suited me at the time.

I have read all the books, own all the movies, and am looking forward to the 2 part conclusion. I have always been fascinated about magic. I have to wonder how many gay wizards there were in Hogwarts.

lol. I've always been wondering that. if statistics hold true then 1 out of 10 should be gay. :P

I love this thread! Umm I think I'm kinda like harry; i'd hate anything about the dark side and try my best to fight it. But, Harry has been known to use dark spells willingly...I think that would be my philosophy too

Apparently I'm a Ravenclaw! So either I to smart to use the dark arts or smart enough to know all the spells evil.gif

I think out of the unforgivable curses the only one that would be tempting in the Imperiatus Curse, I wouldn't like to harm but control is tempting :P . Also the polyjuice potion would be something I would like to use, who doesn't want to see what being someone else is like for an hour, not sure if its dark arts but it doesn't seem like something that should be Legal.

I got Slytherin. I don't get why it's a bad thing to be ambitious, but Slytherins seem to have way more fun spell wise, using the full range of spells in my disposal. I would use all 3 unforgivable curses if the situation called for it. I like the control you get from the Imperiatus Curse. I would definitely want to make my own spells and it seems you have to be in the Ministry or a Death Eaters. I was kind of disappointed by the lack of creativity by Rowling with the spells. Not enough elemental spells.thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I still don't get how "love" is so powerful. Is hate in a spell just as powerful?

Good question.

I think I would educate myself ABOUT the dark arts but not to USE the dark arts. Knowledge is usually a good thing. the more you know, the more you can understand.

If I knew a good bit about the dark arts, I would be more apt to understand when the dark arts were at work. I would recognize the telltale signs and whatnot.

A good education might help me out because I might have learned how to counteract a dark spell. I would also pay VERY close attention in my Defense Against the Dark Arts classes!

I still don't get how "love" is so powerful. Is hate in a spell just as powerful?

I would say it is because it is much easier to hate. You don't make yourself vulnerable by hating. Plus it doesn't make as good of a story.

I would definitely want to make my own spells and it seems you have to be in the Ministry or a Death Eaters.

I was kinda disappointed by that little detail (or maybe the lack of further explanation anyway). I don't see how being in control of the Ministry of Magic had anything to do with being able to do certain spells (like the one that is responsible for undoing protective spells around you by saying the name Voldemort).

How come they were able to do that by taking control of the Ministry but unable to do it without said control?

Anyways, good story in the end. :D

I would say it is because it is much easier to hate. You don't make yourself vulnerable by hating. Plus it doesn't make as good of a story.

Now THIS is a subject one could examine. Is it really easier to hate than love? Why?

I believe that to hate is to make yourself vulnerable. If it's true that hating is easier than loving and does not include vulnerability, then what sort of characters can writers create with this philosophy? You've opened an enormous gift of potentials here. Perhaps worthy of a thread unto itself?

I don't think hate is exactly weak. I mean think about the unforgivable curses. They're rooted in hatred. Then there are horcruxes. Only someone who truly hates could ever create something so terrible. It's just that the love that a mother has for a child is perhaps the strongest of any emotion.

Now THIS is a subject one could examine. Is it really easier to hate than love? Why?

I believe that to hate is to make yourself vulnerable. If it's true that hating is easier than loving and does not include vulnerability, then what sort of characters can writers create with this philosophy? You've opened an enormous gift of potentials here. Perhaps worthy of a thread unto itself?

I see it as the opposite. To hate means you're separating yourself from anything that can potentially hurt you.

I think we're all familiar with stories about the gay boy that pushes everyone close to him away so that it won't hurt when they reject him. While that's not exactly the same as hate, it's him trying to lessen his love for those people that could hurt him the most.