Thank you, Mr. Policeman

"(Berlin) German LGBT groups are expressing outrage over reports that police in three German states are keeping secret computer files on gays."

http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/07/072505germany.htm

Yeah, really, thanks. I always wanted to have to wear one of those nice pink triangles and the first step towards that seems to be made.

I found the original link and it also states, that homosexual meeting places are considered potential crime scenes. I must have missed where being gay became a crime again.

My bf is studying law in one of those states, and I guess it would only be a small step to expand those databases from suspects, victims and witnesses to also include the lawyers involved. :angry:

I post this here since the soapbox is still closed. I know politics shouldn't go in this forum, but I don't see how this could become a controversial or hotly discussed topic in our community.

Hope you don't mind me venting a bit. 0:)

Edited by Iuvart
"(Berlin) German LGBT groups are expressing outrage over reports that police in three German states are keeping secret computer files on gays."

http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/07/072505germany.htm

Yeah, really, thanks. I always wanted to have to wear one of those nice pink triangles and the first step towards that seems to be made.

I found the original link (http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,366574,00.html) and it also states, that homosexual meeting places are considered potential crime scenes. I must have missed where being gay became a crime again.

My bf is studying law in one of those states, and I guess it would only be a small step to expand those databases from suspects, victims and witnesses to also include the lawyers involved.  :angry:

I post this here since the soapbox is still closed. I know politics shouldn't go in this forum, but I don't see how this could become a controversial or hotly discussed topic in our community. 

Hope you don't mind me venting a bit. 0:)

Iuvart, I read that story last night and really was both freaked out and angry and sad...OMG, what next and where else is something like this taking place..why do I fear it is going in lots of places.....I hope that the practice ends and fast and of course the files are permanently destroyed, those that started this are disciplined or fired and laws are passed with severe penalties for this type of conduct...As an attorney, I saw that article and horrified doesn't begin to say it.....keep us informed if you hear any other developments...

Michael

I hope the states dont have somthing like that list.

Julien, many states and the F.B.I. keep track of hate crimes incidents. Hopefully, that is all they are doing and not what was described in the article.....all too scarey for me to even think about..and very worrisome....but somehow, when it comes to this issue, why do I have my doubts that all that is being kept is statistics.....

Michael