Message Board Topic 9/21

Comsie

As an author, you may find yourself growing and expand with every new idea that you put down in a story. With every project that you complete, and with every idea you have for other projects in the future. I, personally, always welcome a new challenge. Trying out things that I've never done before is exhilirating, to say the least. Even when it causes big problems that need to be worked out to get it just right. Even THAT part keeps me energized. It's how we all grow into the writer's we all hope to be.

But, even though we're always moving forward, there may still be a lot of avenues that we're constantly avoiding. Maybe without even knowing it. Blindspots in our writing that we've never explored or expressed. Feedback is always a good way to comment on what you've already written, but does it really help you discover the potential for something totally different? How can someone go about discovering their own blindspots? And once you find them..would you pursue them? Would you tackle a story theme that you've never written before, just to see if you could do it? Or is it beter to write with comfort and ease, allowing the feelings pour out freely without stumbling over unfamiliar terrtory? Let us know!

Hmm... interesting. I think that it is difficult to identify blindspots because of the nature of the beast. I am all for stretching myself out of my comfort zone... I don't think I have one. I like to try different things... writing from different perspectives in the same story... chaging tenses, changing persons... stretching language and grammar.

On the other hand I am all for playing to my strengths. I don't write comedy, although there is sometimes light relief within the story. I don't write pure romance.. there is always something else going on. I don't know... do I avoid those things because I don't feel comfortable with them... no, I don't think so. I think it's becase I write what comes to me... I write part of myself into every story and I am dark therefore so is my writing. I have light spots, a wicked sense of humour and that comes out too... but it's not prevelant.

I rarely sit down and deliberately plan a story.. it just comes out. Therefore it is difficult to tackle concepts such as comfort zones and blindspots. I give what I am given. The only times I have deliberately planned and written a story about a particular subject etc have not often come out well.

Understandable, believe me! Hehehe, I have to admit that I have trouble writing women realistically sometimes, and I always end up making them tomboys or something similar. I also have a hard time writing caring father figures (Because I didn't have one). So that's all fiction to me.

Also, I've got to admit to REALLY loving dark stuff myself. I enjoy pushing the envelope in that regard. I was experimenting a lot with it in "Savage Moon", Neph...but I think the NEWEST story I'm writing, "Agenda 21", to be posted on New Years Day...is, quite possibly, one of the DARKEST stories I've ever written. So I look forward to seeing how folks will react to it. I posted a few teasers on my library, if you wanna check them out. :)

http://www.voy.com/17262/12846.html

http://www.voy.com/17262/12961.html

http://www.voy.com/17262/12962.html

WOW!! It's dark alright. And scarily possible. Are you sure you're ready for the 'red list'? See you there. :)

As for writing women... think of the original goals of humanity... the inbuilt instincts that are still there even after we have suppressed them with 'civilisation'. For example hunters need far sight, strong focus, large muscles, strength, the ability to think quickly etc etc. Gatherers need close sight, good colour discernment (to know when berries are ripe and to choose the ripest), soft focus, etc etc. Maybe by recognising the way we are different and why you can get an insight into how and why we act differently and maybe have more rounded characters... not that I am suggesting that either of you don't have them already... no one is as great a critic as ourselves huh? :)

Understandable, believe me! Hehehe, I have to admit that I have trouble writing women realistically sometimes, and I always end up making them tomboys or something similar. I also have a hard time writing caring father figures (Because I didn't have one). So that's all fiction to me.

Also, I've got to admit to REALLY loving dark stuff myself. I enjoy pushing the envelope in that regard. I was experimenting a lot with it in "Savage Moon", Neph...but I think the NEWEST story I'm writing, "Agenda 21", to be posted on New Years Day...is, quite possibly, one of the DARKEST stories I've ever written. So I look forward to seeing how folks will react to it. I posted a few teasers on my library, if you wanna check them out. :)

http://www.voy.com/17262/12846.html

http://www.voy.com/17262/12961.html

http://www.voy.com/17262/12962.html

Hi Comsie! I read Savage Moon and even if it is very dark, much worse for me was Dream Lover, that was freaking psycho! I have to admit, your stories are ones from few that really affect my psyche, they're very disturbing... But I liked to read them and I hope you'll finish them some time. :-)

Well as for the "teasers" from your links... Can I have one question? Do you also write something more... normal? I know it could be exciting writing something like a War of the Worlds to cause some uneasiness among people, but do you realize that on the net you can find freaks who would actually believe this is true, based on reality? Last but not least, it's quite politically polarized text, more like from the soapbox... I'm really disappointed :-/ I really enjoyed Savage Moon even if it was dark and creepy, I read the Dream Lover, even if it was freaky, it still was a fantasy that had some potential to catch my attention. This is just too much - in a sense that I realized that I'm not interested. :-/ Can you tell what made you write this? Why did you decide or what are you...what do you want... well I don't understand. I'm trying to understand the purpose of that story because "for fun" - at least in my case - doesn't work... ;-)

That's alright. I'm sure it won't be for everyone. Like I said, it's probably the darkest thing I've ever written, but I look forward to seeing how it turns out and how it goes over. After all, it took me FOREVER to get a lot of people to give "Gone From Daylight" a try too.

About a month or so ago, when I was planning and writing down notes for "Agenda 21", I asked on this board and on the Shack forum if anyone believed in the concept of an actual 'apocalypse'. And through posts, emails, and in the chatroom...a vast majority said no. Some because they believe it's just a made up piece of folklore, some just couldn't imagine it really, some think that to be only a religious concept...whatever the case, most said no. So I wanted to write a story that was placed during a 'real' and 'believable' apocalypse scenario. It's meant to be a 'what if' story that makes people rethink their concepts of what's possible. That's all. Bringing a frightening reality to something that most people never think about.

Overall, it will be a love story, just like the others on the site. It won't end up being some militant political rant on government or anything of the sort. The apocalyptic visions of the future are only the 'setting' where the story takes place. It explains what happened and why. Butt he story itself will be mostly about Noah and his love for Jordan, and how joy, love, and spirit, can survive even in the darkest of times. So when it's finished, I definitely want it to have a major impact in a sometimes scary way, but I also...it's a Comicality story. And it'll be about love and what really matters in the end.

Ps- I'm glad you like "Dream Lover" too! Thanks! I'll be adding more in November!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..