Open Club  ·  285 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Belvidera

Sweet Mark. I can't wait. I love both stories but honestly I prefer this one. Or this series I should say. It is some of the finest wordsmything that I have seen in a long long time and the genre just trips my trigger for some reason. It always has. Hi seas Romance and the antics of Sir Francis drake mounting heavy guns on a clipper ship and cleaning their clocks. It was brilliant. ANd I always loved reading about their cleverness. Now you write it and add seven or so inches of portable undulating mast and just make it all the better.

Sweet. I hope you never run out of High seas adventure.

ANd Mark M, I'm sorry if my enlightened comments irritate you. But there is a Simple cure. Read it before you comment. Then the comments probably won't bug you and your comments won't look so silly. Your enlightened opinions are always welcomed I'm sure.Posted Image

Well i'll take that comment into consideration :D :D

And Mark it's totaly fine if another chapter of this it put up be4 "The Box" :D :D :D :D

CH 18!

Delicious! :read: I'm really starting to like Cavendish. :wub: He is Lennox with connections. haha Well I mean he is young and sweet, right on that cusp of manhood. Even though all the equipment has already arrived.

This chapter let us see a bit more of the Man Jervis. It is plain to see that he has the potential to be not only very dangerous but also Tyrannical. He would most certainly enjoy showing anyone who didn't recognize his power and authority just why they should fear his voice. Although it was good to see that even "he" was appauled at the reason for the beating of the young man who dropped the glass.

And to so easily strip the captain of his command . . . well he [the captain] didn't expect that response I am sure. And unless I miss my guess, he was just retired too. I don't know that much about how things were there and then but it would seem to me that he would be unlikely to see command again without facing the admiral or someone who the Admiral had spoken to. Someone who knew the story.

So it would appear that hauling the Admiral to Corsica has had an unexpected result as well. Surprise! No one would suspect him coming via taxi when everyone knows that the brass comes in a limo, so to speak. So it allows them [Jervis and company] to view those they meet without all the preparation. By the time they know it's the Admiral he is already there tapping his foot.

Nicly written Mark. I loved the explanation regarding the discipline. It showed the Admiral that punishment didn't have to be brutal to be affective and that it was far beneficial to the ship to have the bilge cleaned. And it would have a greater deterrent effect as well.

A masterfully written chapter. I really enjoy this series, thank you so much Mark and kudos to the most excellent editing staff. I wish my stuff was so error free.

:D

• Like 1

Indeed it was a good chapter. I can't help but think that Granger has mixed feelings about Jervis. He obviously respects him, but he certainly doesn't like all of his methods, particularly when it came to harsh discipline, his baiting, and his moodiness. I'm sure Granger will be glad to be rid of him. :lol:

Indeed it was a good chapter. I can't help but think that Granger has mixed feelings about Jervis. He obviously respects him, but he certainly doesn't like all of his methods, particularly when it came to harsh discipline, his baiting, and his moodiness. I'm sure Granger will be glad to be rid of him. :lol:

Jervis was a tough guy, but his toughness forged the fleet that Nelson used at The Nile and Trafalgar, not to mention the one he used at St. Vincent.

Have you ever had a boss you respected, but was a real pain in the ass? One who was tough as nails, and always looking for the next wrong thing? That's Jervis. Add to that the joy of having your own ship, being in control of your own world, then having to share it and be on display....well...I'd be anxious to get rid of him too. That's the other thing. Guys like Jervis, they look at men and see them as pawns, more or less. I think they have to, it's their job in a position that exalted. But Granger is loyal to his men and his crew, so it puts him in the potential position of defending them against the wrath of the admiral, something any good manager would do. But it would be painful.

Thank God George has comfort. I think Jervis really likes George. We must remember George is a very young Captain. Thanks for giving George another lover I don't think he could survive without one for long. It"s not in his nature. he needs physical love. Maybe Freddie is the one that will last. I hope so. Together they are so cute.

Thank God George has comfort. I think Jervis really likes George. We must remember George is a very young Captain. Thanks for giving George another lover I don't think he could survive without one for long. It"s not in his nature. he needs physical love. Maybe Freddie is the one that will last. I hope so. Together they are so cute.

Let's just hope that Jervis isn't "in" so much with the Cavendish family that he takes it upon himself to bring him under his wing. Besides the fact that Mark has mentioned that Jervis is against rank because of family position, leaving Granger will be devastating to this now firmly attached young man. And life under Jervis's wing could be arduous. And let's hope there is also no vendetta or bad will either for much the same reason. I could even see the possibility of insanity looming for Granger if he knew he was sending him off to such a fate.

No, this separation will be heart wrenching for sure. Regardless of the "known risks" and the knowledge that separation is inevitable, love has a way of pleading ignorance and silent unspoken prayers that it never has to be faced. You can become attached without even knowing that the tentacles of the heart have rooted deeply within your soul.

This may be the scariest relationship of all to watch.:(

But watch we will. :read:

Let's just hope that Jervis isn't "in" so much with the Cavendish family that he takes it upon himself to bring him under his wing. Besides the fact that Mark has mentioned that Jervis is against rank because of family position, leaving Granger will be devastating to this now firmly attached young man. And life under Jervis's wing could be arduous. And let's hope there is also no vendetta or bad will either for much the same reason. I could even see the possibility of insanity looming for Granger if he knew he was sending him off to such a fate.

No, this separation will be heart wrenching for sure. Regardless of the "known risks" and the knowledge that separation is inevitable, love has a way of pleading ignorance and silent unspoken prayers that it never has to be faced. You can become attached without even knowing that the tentacles of the heart have rooted deeply within your soul.

This may be the scariest relationship of all to watch.:(

But watch we will. :read:

Jervis could be a very petty and vindictive man, but someone had to piss him off first. I don't think he's in with Cavendish's family at all. His problem with aristocrats was that there were men in high positions in the navy who were incompetent ninnies, and the only way they got there was through "interests", the bloodless term for political influence. So when he runs across the scion of a noble family, like Granger, Lennox, or Cavendish, they have a tougher go with him because they have to prove that they are where they are because they're good at it, not because someone pulled some strings.

Who will be the first to notice Granger's brand of the secrect society?

Could Jervis be a member?

OO wouldn't that be a devilish twist. But. . . impracticable. If he wants to screw someone he has butt to ask. He is like :devil: "God" :devil: of the navy. There can only be one "Commander in Chief" (For us Yanks, It is Obama) Article 28 be damned.

What would really suck would be if Wilcox turned out to be a member and demanded that Granger put out.

Wouldn't others notice those brands and wonder what they are?

Jervis if he doesn't like people being there because of status I would have thought may have been against the principles of the Brotherhood in that it's high ranking or elites protecting each other. Or maybe not :). I don't see him being one though.

Wouldn't others notice those brands and wonder what they are?

Jervis if he doesn't like people being there because of status I would have thought may have been against the principles of the Brotherhood in that it's high ranking or elites protecting each other. Or maybe not :). I don't see him being one though.

You're not supposed to know about the Brotherhood unless you're in it. So I don't see how Jervis could know unless he was a member...unless there was a leak in the organization. Then heads would have to roll.

You're not supposed to know about the Brotherhood unless you're in it. So I don't see how Jervis could know unless he was a member...unless there was a leak in the organization. Then heads would have to roll.

Maybe he was a member. :music:

Maybe he was a member. :music:

I just see it as, even if Jervis liked men and was therefore eligible for the Brotherhood, it would seem like it is an antithesis of his general attitude. And so unlikely to be approached to be a member I presume.

Edited by Smarties

I just see it as, even if Jervis liked men and was therefore eligible for the Brotherhood, it would seem like it is an antithesis of his general attitude. And so unlikely to be approached to be a member I presume.

I was teasing. I just wouldn't mind him and George... :devil:

That's a very good point, and quite right. He truly does seem to be a pretty fearsome individual, so it's hard to envision anyone taking a risk with him by introducing him to the Brotherhood, even if they thought he might be receptive. I've been reading a big about him, and my feeling is that if they'd taken Jervis to the "dungeon" and he'd have said no, he may not have directly outed the group, but he would have actively worked against them. As you say, it was the antithesis of his general attitude.

Eeeeeeewwwwww! :nuke:

I actually meant that in jest.

That's a very good point, and quite right. He truly does seem to be a pretty fearsome individual, so it's hard to envision anyone taking a risk with him by introducing him to the Brotherhood, even if they thought he might be receptive. I've been reading a big about him, and my feeling is that if they'd taken Jervis to the "dungeon" and he'd have said no, he may not have directly outed the group, but he would have actively worked against them. As you say, it was the antithesis of his general attitude.

One can understand his sentiments. The aristocracy has been reduced in importance, but at one time, they were the ones who ran the UK, more or less. They were given favoritism, and his beliefs were likely shared by many people. The Brotherhood would definitely not be a good fit for him. I didn't actually mean that he would have been a member. I like to joke sometimes. :P Edited by Tiger

I was sorta joking when I first asked if Jervis could be a member of the secret club. I was wondering who might be the first to acknowledge the brand.

Jervis does not seem to be the "type", but you never know. Sometimes the person that speaks too much against something actually has something to hide.

I was sorta joking when I first asked if Jervis could be a member of the secret club. I was wondering who might be the first to acknowledge the brand.

Jervis does not seem to be the "type", but you never know. Sometimes the person that speaks too much against something actually has something to hide.

That's true. He may very well have had something to hide. But he was actually most known for being opposed to the aristocracy. I can honestly say that I would probably feel the same way. He wanted everyone to be on equal footing in the military.

That's true. He may very well have had something to hide. But he was actually most known for being opposed to the aristocracy. I can honestly say that I would probably feel the same way. He wanted everyone to be on equal footing in the military.

With that type of attitude, I suspect there were a few that made the jump from class to class that owed Jervis a debt that their children would even owe. That would also make them loyal. As you [Mark Arbour] have mentioned before, it was extremely difficult to jump the barriers of class. Promoting someone to an officer's rank because it was earned regardless of who their family was or what their political status or class was, had to have happened successfully for him to draw those conclusions so strongly that they became a compelling core belief.

At least that is my opinion. And be that the case, there must be some stern Jervis supporters out there.

Eh?:king:

What an exciting chapter 19 turned out to be. I was so glad that Granger was able to help John Travers the way he did. What he went through was one of the worst things that can happen. It's difficult to get past it. Granger is an amazing person all the way around. Now, where is Mr. Calvert? I think it's time for George to spend some time with him!

ch19: owow. Poor Trave.

Mediterranean has been one of my faves, anyway

A rough go for him, to be sure.

The Med is so mercurial: beautiful and tranquil one minute, then completely out of control the next. Kind of like you, Enric.Posted Image

What a powerful meaty chapter.

First, a moment of quiet please for the loss of Mr Lennox . . . . :,((sniff, sniff):hug:

Roby needs a little straightening out. He stepped waaaaay over the limits. He should be glad it was Granger. Of course there is that old saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt" Perhaps getting his mounds separated a couple times By Granger and his First will bring around a little humility. :mace:

I loved the "Rats back in the chart room" line.:wub: It brought a delightful smile to my face. And Mark, you wrote this so well that upon Sir John's departure even "my" sphincter relaxed! I was so afraid an article 28 was going to occur. Sir John had to hear the rats too. And speaking of rats, about time for Ranger to make a cameo isn't it?

Since Jervis did not permit Mann to have Granger then it stands to reason that Jervis sees no favor in him. I expect that he may have a little gift for Granger when they meet. Perhaps Mann's group will be reduced to the importance of a mail ship or a supply ship forced to re-supply Granger and the rest of the fleet. And with such orders that Granger will get a chuckle out of it.:thumbup:

And Granger with Lord Nelson! I sense so serious butt kicking and name taking coming up. That is certainly the "A" team. And being with Nelson means there will be even more prizes. I am sure Mann will be mad as hell. :2thumbs:

I can't wait for the next chapter. Robey in waiting! And if he doesn't learn quick and he tries to bully Granger, he could end up kissing the gunnar's daughter. Especially if he does it in front of someone else in the crew. Not something usually done to a lieutenant so it will be twice as humiliating and we know how much Granger hates to mar a beautiful body with the whip. But Roby needs to come down a peg or two.

Just one question Mark. :whistle:Can we watch?:*)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..