Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Cicumnvigation - Chapter 14

Dirk still a jerk

this story is a bit of an insite about only child syndrome - joke

We never had girls over - so - yaa people do enter in and out - because the door is open

mama doesn't learn to be polite to knock on a closed door

I guess she doesn't understand peoples need for privacy

-----

Gosh - maybe Joel will get Trev to prev him - light joke

I think Trev also has another issue - letting strange boys on his boat

its also dangerous because they could be robbers or worst

The other issue - id, pass ports, visas,etc

If Trev bumped in Ben or an american boy that would solve some traveling issues but add to the food supply issue.

---

Can't wait to see the boys have more sailing adventure ... I'm a land lover - my head will swim like Dirk ... yachts are wost than cruise ships

Interesting. But No Naked Joel :( or Trevor. We need some action. :(

B)..........................The goat keeps hinting to us that something is going on between Dirk & Jim!

"I'll get it ready. I have a few other ideas that I'm pursuing at the moment, and I'm hoping that they'll bear fruit and make the suit superfluous. I'll tell you about them when I see you in person. Are you still coming up tomorrow night?" Jim asked.

"I'll be there," Dirk replied.

Interesting! Was reason for the divorce filed because Trevor's mother found out Dirk was cheating on her? Somehow, I can't think that Dirk had anything to do with her death, but if he did, is his fear of being on the water just a rouse? Great chapter CJ, just keeps getting more interesting!

Edited by Benji
  • Site Administrator

So much to discuss (I seemed to have missed commenting last week).

First, Thanks Cj for another chapter.

Next is the whole Dirk thing.

I am not convinced that Dirk is being such a bad guy. Could he be a victim of circumstance??? I mean, lets see, he has Lisa, Trevor, Joel, Lisa's Dad, Joel's ma and pa, Bridgette, and just about everyone single one of us ready to lynch him. Unfortunately we all don't really know that much yet.

With the hint CJ threw in that chapter, I might wonder if his lawyer may be his romantic interest too.

Now as far as the divorce papers, if I recall, Trevor just read the first page which I would imagine would just have the two peoples names and some words about petitioning for a divorce. Maybe if Trevor hadn't been so quick, he would have read through the papers and found out who was petitioning who. Also, for what reasons.

I am going to throw out a possibility, and there really hasn't been anything to disprove this that I know. Could it be that Dirk revealed to Rachael that he was gay, and they both decided it would be best for them to get a divorce. Uncontested and keep the dirty details out of the public record too. Rachael though wants Dirk to keep his sexuality secret from Trevor until he turns eighteen and able to be mature enough to handle the news. Could this be the statue of limitations that is mentioned? She has put a time limit on when Dirk can tell Trevor? Lastly, it seems pretty common in any case of a missing person, the spouse will always be a suspect. It just is a given that it is easy to believe the spouse did it until the body is found or someone else is caught for the death/missing person.

Anyways, there is my current thoughts smile.gif

Steve

Edit to add: And why does Dirk not want Trevor sooo badly not to look off the coast of Bimini? Would you want your only son to be going constantly back to the place that took your only wife??

Edited by wildone

I am not convinced that Dirk is being such a bad guy. Could he be a victim of circumstance??? I mean, lets see, he has Lisa, Trevor, Joel, Lisa's Dad, Joel's ma and pa, Bridgette, and just about everyone single one of us ready to lynch him. Unfortunately we all don't really know that much yet.

With the hint CJ threw in that chapter, I might wonder if his lawyer may be his romantic interest too.

Now as far as the divorce papers, if I recall, Trevor just read the first page which I would imagine would just have the two peoples names and some words about petitioning for a divorce. Maybe if Trevor hadn't been so quick, he would have read through the papers and found out who was petitioning who. Also, for what reasons.

I am going to throw out a possibility, and there really hasn't been anything to disprove this that I know. Could it be that Dirk revealed to Rachael that he was gay, and they both decided it would be best for them to get a divorce. Uncontested and keep the dirty details out of the public record too. Rachael though wants Dirk to keep his sexuality secret from Trevor until he turns eighteen and able to be mature enough to handle the news. Could this be the statue of limitations that is mentioned? She has put a time limit on when Dirk can tell Trevor? Lastly, it seems pretty common in any case of a missing person, the spouse will always be a suspect. It just is a given that it is easy to believe the spouse did it until the body is found or someone else is caught for the death/missing person.

Anyways, there is my current thoughts smile.gif

Steve

Edit to add: And why does Dirk not want Trevor sooo badly not to look off the coast of Bimini? Would you want your only son to be going constantly back to the place that took your only wife??

B)............. Yep, sounds innocent enough, the scenario you placed is what I thought of it, but we are dealing with a cliffhanging goat and you know what that means!! :D

Diving alone is very dangerous. When you learn to swim, one of the first things they tell you about is the buddy system.

I'm beginning to think that Dirk (and probably his wife who is likely still alive) have done something illegal...some kind of insurance fraud, faking a death,etc., crimes which would have a statute of limitations. Perhaps time's up around Christmas, the time Dirk wanted Trevor to go to Australia to meet his mother's family...the time, I contend, when he will be reunited with his mother.

We shall see. Goats are devious.

Diving alone is very dangerous. When you learn to swim, one of the first things they tell you about is the buddy system.

I'm beginning to think that Dirk (and probably his wife who is likely still alive) have done something illegal...some kind of insurance fraud, faking a death,etc., crimes which would have a statute of limitations. Perhaps time's up around Christmas, the time Dirk wanted Trevor to go to Australia to meet his mother's family...the time, I contend, when he will be reunited with his mother.

B)...............Ah, but you have the goat writing here! #1 That would be very cruel to Trevor, to take his mother away for so long, and unless it was for his own safety, I don't buy it that she is still alive. (chokes own words in later chapters) And Dirk has only presented 'nothing' to discount her death to his son. Why is he so taken by his son's visits to his mothers grave? Is he concerned about his safety? Not too evident in the last conversation with Jim, they both seemed to be relieved that Trevor was not continuing the search for his mother! Problem I see, if the gov. is involved, why the re-interest in the case by the locals?

• Site Administrator

cool.gif...............Ah, but you have the goat writing here! #1 That would be very cruel to Trevor, to take his mother away for so long, and unless it was for his own safety, I don't buy it that she is still alive. (chokes own words in later chapters) And Dirk has only presented 'nothing' to discount her death to his son. Why is he so taken by his son's visits to his mothers grave? Is he concerned about his safety? Not too evident in the last conversation with Jim, they both seemed to be relieved that Trevor was not continuing the search for his mother! Problem I see, if the gov. is involved, why the re-interest in the case by the locals?

I think Mike got the jist of my comment, but maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I would hazard a guess that if you had lost your wife/husband to the sea which you are terrified of to begin with, wouldn't you be just a little be overprotective to let your son go to the same place that claimed your spouses life? The idea of Trevor sailing is hard enough on Dirk (even though he would kill to be able to do it with him), but to have him go to the same place and possibly to the watery grave that claimed his wife is just too much :(

I think Mike got the jist of my comment, but maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I would hazard a guess that if you had lost your wife/husband to the sea which you are terrified of to begin with, wouldn't you be just a little be overprotective to let your son go to the same place that claimed your spouses life? The idea of Trevor sailing is hard enough on Dirk (even though he would kill to be able to do it with him), but to have him go to the same place and possibly to the watery grave that claimed his wife is just too much :(

B)................Ah, but you only have Dirks word that he is afraid of the sea! Think about it, yet think about a cliffdwelling goat in his evil ways! This is then same goat that gave us 'Scar' in previous encounters in stories.

• Site Administrator

Ah, but once again you forget about the first Eric in FTL. Don't forget that he turned out to be the HERO of the story laugh.gif

Ah, but once again you forget about the first Eric in FTL. Don't forget that he turned out to be the HERO of the story laugh.gif

:angry:...............Don't even bring up that 'want to be hero" :angry:

Dirk's actions/feelings when he was stealing the cables from the Atlantis indicate the fear of boats/the sea is not faked...

B)............yep, he had no problem boarding the boat to disable it did he?

• Site Administrator

Benji, from chapter 8:

Dirk felt a slight movement, the result of the wake from a passing boat, and felt his stomach churn. He could barely tolerate being aboard, even tied up alongside. He

Benji, from chapter 8:

This is when he went on board. Doesn't seem like he is faking to me since the narrator is giving us this information, not Dirk.

B)...................Yep! But still the goat thingy is out there. Scar did a lot of pretending too!

I'm beginning to wonder if Dirk didn't sabotage his wife's boat similar to the way he attempted to disable Trevor's Atlantis, with malicious mischief? Then when she needed her motors or some other essential piece of equipment to function it would not, perhaps messing with her navigation equipment in such a way that she might have been run down by a freighter on auto-pilot at night with no living supervision?

Finding the boat would mean discovering the leftovers of any tampering, possibly with fingerprints--something Dirk definitely wouldn't want to have happen. It was described earlier in the story that her boat had been 'taking on water'--why? According to the description of the boat, it floats even when flooded because of the materials used in construction.

Something smells like a goat that's been rolling in fish carcasses in Denmark!

Dirk still a jerk

this story is a bit of an insite about only child syndrome - joke

Being an only child myself, that part was easy for me. Lol.

The passports and visas are not a problem for Trevor or Joel at the moment; nowhere they've been so far requires a visa, and they both have passports. :)

I am going to throw out a possibility, and there really hasn't been anything to disprove this that I know. Could it be that Dirk revealed to Rachael that he was gay, and they both decided it would be best for them to get a divorce. Uncontested and keep the dirty details out of the public record too.

We don't yet know the details, but it was mentioned when he found it that it was a joint filing; they both filed for divorce, so definitely uncontested. :)

B)............. Yep, sounds innocent enough, the scenario you placed is what I thought of it, but we are dealing with a cliffhanging goat and you know what that means!! :D

Huh?? Poor, sweet, innocent me? But everything is always sweetness and light in my stories. 0:)

Devious? Me? :huh::o

Diving alone can indeed be dangerous.

B)................Ah, but you only have Dirks word that he is afraid of the sea! Think about it, yet think about a cliffdwelling goat in his evil ways! This is then same goat that gave us 'Scar' in previous encounters in stories.

Poor, misunderstood Scar...

Dirk's actions/feelings when he was stealing the cables from the Atlantis indicate the fear of boats/the sea is not faked...

Bingo! You're right, and that was in the narration, and the narrator cannot lie.

Thanks for bringing this up, it's a great point, and it also gives me an opening to remind everyone: Characters can lie, but the narrator can't. :)

I'm beginning to wonder if Dirk didn't sabotage his wife's boat similar to the way he attempted to disable Trevor's Atlantis, with malicious mischief? Then when she needed her motors or some other essential piece of equipment to function it would not, perhaps messing with her navigation equipment in such a way that she might have been run down by a freighter on auto-pilot at night with no living supervision?

Finding the boat would mean discovering the leftovers of any tampering, possibly with fingerprints--something Dirk definitely wouldn't want to have happen. It was described earlier in the story that her boat had been 'taking on water'--why? According to the description of the boat, it floats even when flooded because of the materials used in construction.

Something smells like a goat that's been rolling in fish carcasses in Denmark!

Fingerprints wouldn't be possible after years in the ocean, though many other forms of evidence could survive.

All I can say is... Everything will make sense, before the end. ;)

The only other possibility, which just dawned on me before I posted this, is that she had been diagnosed with an incurable cancer and didn't want to sit around and waste away. So she took the boat out and ended up hitting a bout of depression and chose to sink the boat rather than continue to suffer the effects of the cancer's spread. I wish you'd have him take the papers out of the security hidey-hole and read more...

One thing I don't think anyone has posted about, is the title of the chapter. CJames is always very careful with his titles. Sometimes they are a diversion, such as "The Kiss" which wasn't Brandon/Chase but instead was Scar's gay kiss. But they still have relevance to the chapter.

SO - what was it that was miscommunicated? We saw tons of calls with things coming out into the open finally - so you would think the chapter title would be just the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Well we know that Trevor and Joel will be making a stop in Italy (for a beer run) and since Joel did his diligent homework, they may be stopping in Malta and Greece as well since they are legal age to drink in both places.

So here is a question for everyone (but the goat :) ), what other stops do you think Trevor and Joel will make, and what kind of trouble do you think they will get in?

I'm going to pick their first stop to be Ibiza. Even though the age limit for drinking is eighteen, it is very liberal and the sixteen rule is more commonly accepted. Also, with the island being a gay destination, I hope that Trevor manages to hook up with someone to take care of his problems laugh.gif . Well lets hope the party island of The Med is there first stop before Italy.

Being an only child myself, that part was easy for me. Lol.

With my brothers - I might as well be an only child.

How would you react to someone saying "You brought that thing"

Its almost like - stay toon for trading little brother for ______??

I'm not convinced that Dirk did anything wrong, merely the victim of circumstance and his own uncontrolled temper. So many people are laboring under the assumption that he murdered his wife, and intends to murder his son for "knowing too much", with their only evidence being that the police have him listed as a suspect in the case. News flash: spouses are always murder suspects until proven otherwise.

The one person that I am watching, concerning this plot device, is Bridget. She's the only one of the bunch who has any shred of legal experience, and only because of her husband (I think). Even still, I don't recall her saying, "DE DID IT! HE DID IT! THROW HIS COLD-BLOODED ASS IN FEDERAL POUND-ME-IN-THE-ASS PRISON!!!1!11one". She's given advice on what to do to protect themselves in the event that he is bound for federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison, but it seems that everyone is taking that and blowing it out of proportion. Dirk's temper isn't helping. I think the one thing that might illuminate everyone to his past is if Lisa (and only Lisa) somehow gets into contact with Jim. He knows a lot more than anyone else does (though he has hinted that Dirk hasn't been completely forthcoming with him) and might be able to shed credible light on the issue... probably in exchange for information on Trevor's whereabouts or intentions since he'd probably be breaching some client-clause thing-a-ma-shit.

I specified Lisa because she seems to be the only character in the story who knows Trevor the best, next to Joel, and has at least a somewhat good head on her shoulders (I say somewhat, because she is the epicenter of the pound-me-in-the-ass prison future for Dirk theory).

At the same time, I'm thinking we're not going to get the truth until we're nearing either the end of Trevor's world trip, or the end of the story (might not coincide!). It's a major plot device with more holes than Swiss cheese and CJ is milking it like a horny frat goat.

Edited by rknapp
  • Like 1

One thing I don't think anyone has posted about, is the title of the chapter. CJames is always very careful with his titles. Sometimes they are a diversion, such as "The Kiss" which wasn't Brandon/Chase but instead was Scar's gay kiss. But they still have relevance to the chapter.

SO - what was it that was miscommunicated? We saw tons of calls with things coming out into the open finally - so you would think the chapter title would be just the opposite.

I was going to reply to this here, but the chapter title issue deserves it's own thread, so I moved my reply to '>a new thread, "Chapter Titles" which I just started. :)

So here is a question for everyone (but the goat :) ), what other stops do you think Trevor and Joel will make, and what kind of trouble do you think they will get in?

What makes you think I'd know? 0:)

And trouble? What trouble? Two teens, on the run and on a boat far from home, plus alcohol... what could possibly go wrong? :ph34r:

With my brothers - I might as well be an only child.

How would you react to someone saying "You brought that thing"

Its almost like - stay toon for trading little brother for ______??

Sometimes, little brothers in stories (I'm not referring to any GA stories here)can be stereotyped a bit too much; the perfect accepting and supportive sidekick for a protagonist. Though, in fairness, I'm probably guilty of that myself, with Eric in "For the Love". :ph34r:

I'm not convinced that Dirk did anything wrong, merely the victim of circumstance and his own uncontrolled temper. So many people are laboring under the assumption that he murdered his wife, and intends to murder his son for "knowing too much", with their only evidence being that the police have him listed as a suspect in the case. News flash: spouses are always murder suspects until proven otherwise.

The one person that I am watching, concerning this plot device, is Bridget. She's the only one of the bunch who has any shred of legal experience, and only because of her husband (I think). Even still, I don't recall her saying, "DE DID IT! HE DID IT! THROW HIS COLD-BLOODED ASS IN FEDERAL POUND-ME-IN-THE-ASS PRISON!!!1!11one". She's given advice on what to do to protect themselves in the event that he is bound for federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison, but it seems that everyone is taking that and blowing it out of proportion. Dirk's temper isn't helping. I think the one thing that might illuminate everyone to his past is if Lisa (and only Lisa) somehow gets into contact with Jim. He knows a lot more than anyone else does (though he has hinted that Dirk hasn't been completely forthcoming with him) and might be able to shed credible light on the issue... probably in exchange for information on Trevor's whereabouts or intentions since he'd probably be breaching some client-clause thing-a-ma-shit.

I specified Lisa because she seems to be the only character in the story who knows Trevor the best, next to Joel, and has at least a somewhat good head on her shoulders (I say somewhat, because she is the epicenter of the pound-me-in-the-ass prison future for Dirk theory).

At the same time, I'm thinking we're not going to get the truth until we're nearing either the end of Trevor's world trip, or the end of the story (might not coincide!). It's a major plot device with more holes than Swiss cheese and CJ is milking it like a horny frat goat.

I dare not say much, but I can say this; we find out regarding the above issues, well before the end of the story. :)

I should mention that one reason this story had to be in third person is so that we can follow the goings-on in Florida and also on Atlantis.

Sometimes, little brothers in stories (I'm not referring to any GA stories here)can be stereotyped a bit too much; the perfect accepting and supportive sidekick for a protagonist. Though, in fairness, I'm probably guilty of that myself, with Eric in "For the Love". :ph34r:

B)............Yes, indeed your guilty as charged!! :lol:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..