Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Boot Camp

I'm working on "The Box," where Steven comes home after boot camp. I'm wondering if any of you out there who have been through that can tell me how you felt, having gone through that experience and then going home to see your friends and family.

Big difference between Boot Camp from war-time 1940's and me going to Fort "Relaxing" Jackson, SC in 1989 just for Basic Training...

Then after 8 weeks Boot Camp, there is also AIT (Advanced Individual Training) for specific jobs in the Army (not sure what they called it in the 40's). I went to Ft. Gordon (Signal School) and that place was obviously more so relaxed since we were allowed off-post on our off time.

But as for me coming home after about 6-7 months... I felt indifferent with my friends and uneasy with my family. It's amazing how much I was cussing and not even realizing it.

Indifferent with my friends because I felt I was growing up and they were not. Yeah, some might call it a superiority complex :P.

I'm not really sure if these were the answers you were looking for...

Because of the nature of boot camp- you are busy all the time with no time to yourself or no privacy and you are too exhausted to jerk off- most people are so horny when they are finally out that nothing is safe from being sodomized, screwed or otherwise spooed upon.

Boot is just part of it. Lots of bases have districts with prostitutes and businesses which are geared towards making money off of the soldiers hormones.

Subic Bay in the PI was epic about that. A great many old salts and jarheads took wives there or actually went native.

Same deal in Okinawa. The Japanese are bitching about it but the whores just keep coming.

Almost every base town has its dark side. It's not like they hide it. They want the guys to find it.

Big difference between Boot Camp from war-time 1940's and me going to Fort "Relaxing" Jackson, SC in 1989 just for Basic Training...

Then after 8 weeks Boot Camp, there is also AIT (Advanced Individual Training) for specific jobs in the Army (not sure what they called it in the 40's). I went to Ft. Gordon (Signal School) and that place was obviously more so relaxed since we were allowed off-post on our off time.

But as for me coming home after about 6-7 months... I felt indifferent with my friends and uneasy with my family. It's amazing how much I was cussing and not even realizing it.

Indifferent with my friends because I felt I was growing up and they were not. Yeah, some might call it a superiority complex :P.

I'm not really sure if these were the answers you were looking for...

Thanks guys, for the feedback. This is pretty much what I was looking for. I got a private message from a member with some really cool insights into it, and I tried to clarify why I was looking for info like this. This is what I told him:

The guy I'm writing about went to OCS (Army..and as I'm sure you know, it was pretty new when he went..1943). It's a diary, and he picks up writing after he gets back. All the guys I knew who went off to basic training came back different. They were usually more confident, sometimes some of their views had changed, sometimes relationships suffered because they'd changed. I've only seen it from the outside, and I want to get a feel for what it was like for the guy, inside.

Well I don't think Steven is qualified for OCS since it requires a 4 yr degree going in ( if that is what you were planning ) And yes, officers are treated differently then enlisted. Enlisted are trained to follow orders while officers are trained to give orders.

other points that were brought up:

more confident? Yes. I was out of shape going in and had a 6-pack entering my first unit (and I don't mean beer).

change political views? No, tree hugging Lib going in, tree hugging Lib now.

personality change? No, I STILL think most of humanity sucks and thinks earth could use 5 billion less people.

personal items? Yes. Preferred being a top going in.

horny? Well duh! But out of the 50 in my class, only about 10 I would count as hot. Most did NOT count even as cute...So all the idiots crying "I don't want to shower with a gay guy" falls under the not cute category. And yes, I managed to take care of myself on more then once without getting caught. :P

any inner-self change? Yes. I was an anti-smoker and NEVER drank. You want to see a personality change? Try a case of cheap beer. Stuff scares me even today.

need to know anything else? Just ask.

Edited by mmike1969

Well I don't think Steven is qualified for OCS since it requires a 4 yr degree going in ( if that is what you were planning ) And yes, officers are treated differently then enlisted. Enlisted are trained to follow orders while officers are trained to give orders.

other points that were brought up:

more confident? Yes. I was out of shape going in and had a 6-pack entering my first unit (and I don't mean beer).

change political views? No, tree hugging Lib going in, tree hugging Lib now.

personality change? No, I STILL think most of humanity sucks and thinks earth could use 5 billion less people.

personal items? Yes. Preferred being a top going in.

horny? Well duh! But out of the 50 in my class, only about 10 I would count as hot. Most did NOT count even as cute...So all the idiots crying "I don't want to shower with a gay guy" falls under the not cute category. And yes, I managed to take care of myself on more then once without getting caught. :P

any inner-self change? Yes. I was an anti-smoker and NEVER drank. You want to see a personality change? Try a case of cheap beer. Stuff scares me even today.

need to know anything else? Just ask.

Actually, in WWII, to get into OCS you didn't need a four year degree. You needed one of two things: An IQ between 120-130, or some powerful connections. Otherwise, how did a 19 year old George Bush end up as a Lt. flying planes?

Top going in....bottom coming out?tongue.gif

Actually, in WWII, to get into OCS you didn't need a four year degree. You needed one of two things: An IQ between 120-130, or some powerful connections. Otherwise, how did a 19 year old George Bush end up as a Lt. flying planes?

Actually, that does not sound right. I am almost positive you needed a degree BEFORE going into OCS. I know in the Civil War, the rich bought their way out of serving or bought their commissions...

As for the ex-pres, he had already graduated from Yale with his BA in cheer-leading (History), before buying receiving his commission...

Of course, if you did make Steven an officer, I would be surprised to find out that his parents used their connections to help him since they objected to him joining in the first place.

Edited by mmike1969

When I attended OCS (US Army) in the 1960s, a high school diploma was the only education requirement. I think most of my fellow candidates were college graduates, but there were definitely some who were not. I think those without a college education did as well as those with. OCS was a pretty rigorous academic course, at least in the Field Artillery. There was a lot more to it than just learning how to give orders.

Well there you have it Mark! A real graduate of OCS :)

So now the more important question is when Chapter 15 of "The Box" is coming out? :D

There was a lot more to it than just learning how to give orders.

Yeah, I do remember my last few days in Basic @ Jackson when we had OCS Candidates visiting (or doing something), visiting Drill Instructors from the Reserves/National Guard units, West Point Cadets, and a whole crapload of 'dignitaries' from DC, Generals from all over the freaking planet and Officers from many visiting countries...

My Drill Instructors politely asked us "Please, please, PLEASE do NOT laugh at them..." Them referring to the West Point Cadets, Reserve DI's and OCS candidates... Have no idea what he was talking about... 0:):lol::blink:

Edited by mmike1969

So now the more important question is when Chapter 15 of "The Box" is coming out? :D

Yeah, I do remember my last few days in Basic @ Jackson when we had OCS Candidates visiting (or doing something), visiting Drill Instructors from the Reserves/National Guard units, West Point Cadets, and a whole crapload of 'dignitaries' from DC, Generals from all over the freaking planet and Officers from many visiting countries...

My Drill Instructors politely asked us "Please, please, PLEASE do NOT laugh at them..." Them referring to the West Point Cadets, Reserve DI's and OCS candidates... Have no idea what he was talking about... 0:):lol::blink:

As a matter of fact, quite soon!

B)............... Well, I thought I was pretty damn fit when I went into the Marines, but I came out of boot camp with an extra 10 pounds. I felt much better physically (Only bad side effect was I learned and got hooked to smoking back then). Yada, yada yeah the family and freinds thought it was great (they also thought I was nuts for joining) but my confidence was 110% after that. I think we started with 80 recruits and ended up with 40+ graduating from boot camp. What James mentioned about Subic Bay was very true, you could not not get get laid in that port. And for 'folks' like us there was the 'benny boys' I never went there for fear of getting caught, but it existed there too.

:lol:..... My drill instructors were NEVER nice!! But everyone talking about OCS reminded me of the time we were still in training, we were on maneuvers and were warned the the snakes season had started. There were lot's of baby green rattlers running around so this kid reached down to pick one up and of course got bit. Well, maybe he was smart or the service was looking for a few good men back then, because not only did he get sent to the hospital for 2 weeks and miss all the fun we were having. But got sent home for a 30 day furlough and they then sent him to OCS?? :blink:

I have no personal experience, but the guys I knew who went to OCS in the service went to basic first as I recall.

cool.gif............... Well, I thought I was pretty damn fit when I went into the Marines, but I came out of boot camp with an extra 10 pounds. I felt much better physically (Only bad side effect was I learned and got hooked to smoking back then). Yada, yada yeah the family and freinds thought it was great (they also thought I was nuts for joining) but my confidence was 110% after that. I think we started with 80 recruits and ended up with 40+ graduating from boot camp. What James mentioned about Subic Bay was very true, you could not not get get laid in that port. And for 'folks' like us there was the 'benny boys' I never went there for fear of getting caught, but it existed there too.

laugh.gif..... My drill instructors were NEVER nice!! But everyone talking about OCS reminded me of the time we were still in training, we were on maneuvers and were warned the the snakes season had started. There were lot's of baby green rattlers running around so this kid reached down to pick one up and of course got bit. Well, maybe he was smart or the service was looking for a few good men back then, because not only did he get sent to the hospital for 2 weeks and miss all the fun we were having. But got sent home for a 30 day furlough and they then sent him to OCS?? blink.gif

I have no personal experience, but the guys I knew who went to OCS in the service went to basic first as I recall.

B)............. Err! I should have made another paragraph out! My drill instructors were never nice (end!)

This was after boot camp, the incident with the marine vs. baby rattler was in RTC, he did do basic first!

Edited by Benji

Ironically, Bush's IQ is in that range, and he had powerful connections. I still think Obama is smarter though. Maybe he's in the 200 range :P

Edited by Tiger

Ironically, Bush's IQ is in that range, and he had powerful connections. I still think Obama is smarter though. May he's in the 200 range :P

Which Bush? (No, I'm not talking about that. Quit thinking like a bi-sexual.biggrin.gif)

Bush I or Bush II? Bush I: I can believe it Bush II: No f**king way. The test had to be rigged.

Which Bush? (No, I'm not talking about that. Quit thinking like a bi-sexual.biggrin.gif)

Bush I or Bush II? Bush I: I can believe it Bush II: No f**king way. The test had to be rigged.

His actual IQ is unknown, but it's not as low as some might think. I'm not fond of the man, but I think by underestimating his IQ, people are simply overlooking how dangerous he was.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.asp

Bush 2 was just delusional, not dumb.

My experience with boot (navy):

- Getting up way too early and marching everywhere. If you were on your own, you walked in a straight line and made a military maneuver at every turn. If you were with more than one person, you formed up.

- Missed my family TERRIBLY for the first two weeks. Then I got over it.

- Standing in line. "NUTS TO BUTTS, BOYS!" was music to my ears, anyway. :D

- Shin splints.

- I was below average in most things. This did not make me popular, but it did make me more physically fit than ever. It also proved that my being really smart didn't mean squat.

- Spent a lot of time fighting fires. We fought a lot of fires. I think where Army/Marines do gunnery, navy boots do firefighting. Probably related to the fact that you're destined to be onboard a floating can a thousand miles from anything, and might have to put out a fire.

- We learned a lot about linehandling and about how to clean a ship.

- No where to uh, "relieve backpressure" for 8 weeks.

I went straight from boot camp in Florida to training school in Meridian, MS. So I didn't go home for (I think) 16 weeks. While I was at school I got orders to a ship based out of Guam, which gave me a longer leave than normal (like 45 days), plus paid my way home and then to Virginia where I shipped out.

The trip from Florida to Meridian was epic in drunken asshattery since about 16 of us were on the same flight.

Keep drunken asshattery in mind, soldiers do it a lot (see: Subic Bay. I was in Subic 7 times while stationed on the ship. Magsaysay Drive was the road out of the base. The bars were about 12 feet wide and pretty deep, and there were bars on two floors lining both sides of the street. Over a thousand bars in one mile. All of em with a mamasan and a $20 drink for the young lady... I never did the benny boys, but I did get propositioned by a young man that wanted me to count his pubic hairs !!).

Consequently, when I got home, I was very confident, much more so than before. I felt like I had changed a lot compared to my friends, but I hadn't been gone long enough for that to last, so we were all hanging out as before (except without the pot smoking). After I came back from Guam (18 months later) I felt like I had almost nothing in common with them anymore.

More importantly I felt like I had something to do, kind of a mission I guess, so that made me see things differently and by the time I got to about 30 days, I called my detailer (the guy that assigns you your orders) and told him I wanted to get to the ship early. He wouldn't let me change my orders.

Also, I couldn't stand anyone I'd gone through boot with, and three of the guys I went through with ended up stationed with me at two different duty stations.

Edited by Hoskins

His actual IQ is unknown, but it's not as low as some might think. I'm not fond of the man, but I think by underestimating his IQ, people are simply overlooking how dangerous he was.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.asp

People kept mis-underestimating Bush and he kept winning elections.

Over the course of his political career, Bush(II) managed to beat such democratic notables as Ma Richards, Al Gore and John Kerry.

When you take on a person in any kind of contest, you have to show a modicum of respect or you run the risk of looking arrogant.

In sports, a dash of arrogance adds to the drama. In politics, it is pure poison.

Although it takes confidence and ego to be President, people want to know that whoever they put in that chair will keep a level head and remember that it's NOT all about them. It's about the country.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..