Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Engineers

I thought it would be fun, for no particular reason, to have a thread about those enigmatic, perplexing folk known as engineers. 0:)

Let's start with the Engineer's dictionary.

HE ENGINEER'S DICTIONARY

Engineers rule! With slide rules! Or a TI89!

But check THIS thing out, it handles your cardinal grammeters for you! With magneto reluctance and hydrocoptic marzal vanes!

Gotta watch out for that sinusoidal depleneration, though.

Edited by Hoskins
  • Site Administrator

Bah humbug! :P As a software engineer, I know real engineers use supercomputers, not playthings like TI89's, Sinclair Scientifics or HP-41C's. (Though slide rules are cool :D)

ROFL!!!! Hoskins, that's awesome! Thank you for that link! I laughed until it hurt...

I shudder to think what that engineer will create for walking the dogs? :lmao:

My grandfather slide rule was much better than super computers? innocent.gif30 foot thacher slide rule

Wow.. that's some piece of work!

I use an E6b mechanical flight computer as a backup when flying; it's essentially a sort of slide rule for calculating wind drift, pressure density, etc.

E6b-front.jpg

Mine is aluminum, and I've had it since I was in my teens (When I first learned to fly). I do use an electronic version (Can't beat GPS!) but... I'm of the opinion that electronics can fail, so for something this critical, it's great to have a backup.

I also have, somewhere in my basement, a triangular rod slide rule that was my great-grandfather's, but I never learned how to use it.

I said they were cool. I never said they were better :D

Graeme, I'm surprised that an Australian would be fond of slide rules... Slide rules are tricky to use at the best of times, but using one while upside down (as all things down under are) must be especially challenging! :P

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..