I was wondering if someone can help me

I have for many years been looking for a story and have recently looked for other outlets to request help and I was hopeing someone could help me here

the story is from between maybe 1998-2006 most probably located on nifty.org but not sure. I cant find it there.

the story entailed a man driving through rural mountains. Perhaps the Appalachians. He is no rural man but more a city guy. He has somewhere to be which i dont remember The car gets disabled (i think it had to do with mud) he is found by a lone man who lives on a farm by himself in a cabin far from anyone. he never leaves the farm and the only contact with anyone usually entails a "cart man" who comes by every few weeks to sell/barter over priced goods. because of the distance from town it is impossible for the man to reach it by himself so hes forced to stay with the man for some period of time (1-2 weeks i think) he is forced, tricked, or dared into helping the man and a love developed between them. the strong farmer man is quiet and gruff works all day. at the end there's a sad good bye and the man makes it to town only to return to his love shortly after.

I know thats not much. its been some years. if i remember more i will try to add more. Every once in a while i am reminded of this story and wish to go back to it. I hope it wasnt in my imagination. I have once thought of attempting to pen it again but would much rather find the original if its still out there

if you could help thank you