research on amsterdam gay everything

hi hi folks, I'm trying to do a research on the dutch gay culture. what are the common views, lifestyle, ,places to hang out anf of interest. the good the bad and the unusual.

l'll be heading to amsterdam in september and would love some pointers as where to start.

I've been to the so called gay street in the reguliersdwardsstraat but it doesn't looked much i mean i see a few flags out but it;s rather quiet. perhaps after the disco moved it's no longer the 'it' thing.

well for one thing i didn't do pub nor clubs even back home(ahem!) so i have no idea where n what is the best way to start this research.

i did however saw a couple of gay saunas though as i wonder about near Leidsestraat :)

thanks in advance

by if u guys wanna have tea/coffee with me either in london or amsterdam i'm all up for it.. amsterdam 1st september 2010 till 21st september, 21st till 24th rotterdam and london on 27th till 29th september :D

can't tell to you much. My friends went to some gay clubs/bars while they were there, but I arrived late so can't fill you in.

There is a gay section of the red light district, but I didn't wander that far down. It got a bit dodgy if you went too far, more dodgy I mean :).

Just assume it's more friendly everywhere, at least compared to some countries. I really liked amsterdam, all the lovely tulips.

Hey meowsan!

You can just walk into the VVV Office (Dutch tourist board) which isn't far from the train station. They will have flyers and handouts that concern both the normal tourism as the gay tourism. Apart from that, most gay pubs have information as well. If you walk in one, you'll find that it can easily lead you to other gay places.

The website gayamsterdam.nl (which is also translated in English) also has lots of info about the Amsterdam gay scene.

I hope this helps you, or at least gives you a lead on where to get further information.

Hey meowsan!

You can just walk into the VVV Office (Dutch tourist board) which isn't far from the train station. They will have flyers and handouts that concern both the normal tourism as the gay tourism. Apart from that, most gay pubs have information as well. If you walk in one, you'll find that it can easily lead you to other gay places.

The website gayamsterdam.nl (which is also translated in English) also has lots of info about the Amsterdam gay scene.

I hope this helps you, or at least gives you a lead on where to get further information.

thanks for the info! will do that :) i once saw this flyer in a gay store with The Man with a P*ssy in amsterdam.. i was like blink.gif shown there a man with beard and etc all muscular n hunky but he got a.... that was the weirdest i'd say.. ne ways how bout the gay life as in the norm? any insights to share? cap.gif

can't tell to you much. My friends went to some gay clubs/bars while they were there, but I arrived late so can't fill you in.

There is a gay section of the red light district, but I didn't wander that far down. It got a bit dodgy if you went too far, more dodgy I mean :).

Just assume it's more friendly everywhere, at least compared to some countries. I really liked amsterdam, all the lovely tulips.

one thing love bout the NL.. them flowered are growing nicely! even in the city area where pple plants tons of them in barrels by their windows.. etc etc. there;s a gay section in the red light district?!

What norm do you mean?

other than gay pubs n bars.. wots the fashion trend, the music , the shows, the gathering or events, also how a gay's man living style in NL. where to meet others how they date n socialize. i mean it's a wide variety of stuff just wanna know more about the whole gay culture of dutch men and also lesbians too..

one thing love bout the NL.. them flowered are growing nicely! even in the city area where pple plants tons of them in barrels by their windows.. etc etc. there;s a gay section in the red light district?!

I'm not sure how 'formal' it was - I'm thinking informal.

and it's strange, further down the main street or whatever it did get darker. there were far less lights around. maybe it was just less red glow.

but to be honest, I don't really know. I wasn't the most comfortable in that part of town, but was there because my friends wanted to explore.

Edited by Smarties
  • 2 weeks later...