Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Frog Analysis!

Frogs are indeed perplexing.

Let's have a look at this instance (one of many)

The very title of chapter 42 confirms that the previous chapter of Circumnavigation ended with a cliffhanger.

Okay now, here's the actual ending for the chapter the frog is referring to.

Trevor looked west, towards the glowing lights of Ismailia. His experiences that night – the Egyptians he’d met, open and friendly, had shown him a very different land than the one of the canal. Trevor smiled, taking a deep breath of the sultry night air, which was perfumed by a hint of cardamom and turmeric wafting from a nearby restaurant. He smiled to himself, with fond feelings towards Egypt and the Egyptians, and the knowledge that the canal was a very different world from the real Egypt.

Trevor is having good feelings and smelling savory spices! What's the cliffhanger? That his stomach might growl? :blink:

Come now... Even for a frog, that's a stretch! :blink:

So, the purpose of this thread is to propose theories as to what makes MikeL, our resident frog, so prone to seeing cliffhangers everywhere? Hrmmm...

One possibility: Frogs are short.. just a few inches tall. So, to a frog, maybe every little bump in the road is a cliff, and a pothole looks like the Grand Canyon? :read:

Another possibility (perhaps related). I've long suspected that MikeL is a Cliff Chirping Frog. So, could the call of a cliff chirping frog be "cliff, cliff, cliff!"? That would explain much...

Personally, I'm thinking that he is more likely to be a close relative, the Tennessee Cliffhanger Chirping Frog, Eleutherodactylus_Preciptious.

Other theories have been raised... Perhaps the frog, like most frogs, has an aversion to salt water, and thus sees danger whenever the sea is mentioned?

Submit your theories here! At the end, we;ll have a poll. :)

• Site Administrator

Last time i checked in my mirror, I had 3 limbs ( :P ), and could be considered fully human.

I seem to see cliffs in all the same places as MikeL.

I think a better question to pose is there a genetic link between goats and lying? Or is it this because of the fact that the goat wears such dark sunglasses that he cannot see the cliffs right in front of him?

Well that is my opinion, I will let everyone else weigh in.

• Like 1

Goats are either clever or devious. Please note the following deceitful wording of Cliff James' entry in this forum.

He quotes his own innocuous last paragraph of Chapter 41 to prove there is no cliffhanger. All readers know from earlier chapters that there is a bomb aboard Atlantis which cliffhanger remains unresolved at the end of Chapter 41. Trevor's good vibes about Egyptian people and spices used in nearby restaurants does not eliminate the cliffhanger.

The goat goes further, impugning the integrity of frogs by a seemingly scientific subterfuge. He provides a link to a Wikipedia article about the "Cliff Chirping Frog". The article clearly states that the creature is found only in central and western Texas. He then spent untold hours creating a fake "Wikipedia" acrticle on the "Tennessee Cliffhanger Chirping Frog". There is no such creature anywhere on earth, certainly not in Tennessee. The article is located at http://www.cjames.ga...precipitous.htm. Please note that the ersatz article is located in C James' own GA forum, not in Wikipedia. As further proof that this is a scurrilous article, the "scientific" name of the fictitious creature appears three times in the article spelled three different ways: Eleutherodactylus precipitous, E. Precipitious, and Eleutherodactylus Precipicious. This is an example of a common C James error...misspelling. Wikipedia would never publish an article so poorly written and edited.

Readers should give due consideration to these facts before wasting their time on a response to this bogus forum thread.

The truth is out there. Don't be fooled.

Last time i checked in my mirror, I had 3 limbs ( :P ), and could be considered fully human.

I think a better question to pose is there a genetic link between goats and lying? Or is it this because of the fact that the goat wears such dark sunglasses that he cannot see the cliffs right in front of him?

Thanks, Steve. You demonstrate great insight and integrity.

:blink: You see cliffs where MikeL does? :blink: Hrmmm! This is very perplexing! So, this means there is clearly something affecting your judgment, and the frog's, in the same way! Very perplexing... Could it be a virus!?!?

And me? Lie? Would i ever do such a thing as that? 0:)

And I take my glasses off sometimes goaticon3.jpg

and I see no cliffs!!

And everyone knows I'm just not capable of writing a cliffhanger~!

Goats are either clever or devious. Please note the following deceitful wording of Cliff James' entry in this forum.

He quotes his own innocuous last paragraph of Chapter 41 to prove there is no cliffhanger. All readers know from earlier chapters that there is a bomb aboard Atlantis which cliffhanger remains unresolved at the end of Chapter 41. Trevor's good vibes about Egyptian people and spices used in nearby restaurants does not eliminate the cliffhanger.

Ahha! Here we see froggish misdirection at play! He said that "the previous chapter ended in a cliffhanger" (emphasis mine). Yet, he complains that in response, I posted the last paragraph of the chapter! It was he himself who specified the END of the chapter. We don't have to limit ourselves to just the last paragraph though... we could include the final ten or even more, and no change.

See? He's using that old Machiavellian trick: doing precisely what he's accusing me of doing! :ph34r:

The goat goes further, impugning the integrity of frogs by a seemingly scientific subterfuge. He provides a link to a Wikipedia article about the "Cliff Chirping Frog". The article clearly states that the creature is found only in central and western Texas. He then spent untold hours creating a fake "Wikipedia" acrticle on the "Tennessee Cliffhanger Chirping Frog". There is no such creature anywhere on earth, certainly not in Tennessee. The article is located at http://www.cjames.ga...precipitous.htm. Please note that the ersatz article is located in C James' own GA forum, not in Wikipedia. As further proof that this is a scurrilous article, the "scientific" name of the fictitious creature appears three times in the article spelled three different ways: Eleutherodactylus precipitous, E. Precipitious, and Eleutherodactylus Precipicious. This is an example of a common C James error...misspelling. Wikipedia would never publish an article so poorly written and edited.

Readers should give due consideration to these facts before wasting their time on a response to this bogus forum thread.

The truth is out there. Don't be fooled.

I see no such misspellings, but.. yes, I am noted for my misspellings! I am, and I freely admit it, the King of Typos!

However, as for that page... I think the frog might be a bit paranoid? I mean.. that page is on the internet, so it must be true... :sheep:

I think the Tennessee Cliffhanger Chirping Frog describes MikeL perfectly! Right down to the fondness for barbecues..

I think the case is clear. Deny it though he might, the frog simply does not want to admit that he sees cliffhangers where there are none.

And come now, would would ever thing that I'm devious? 0:)

:blink: You see cliffs where MikeL does? :blink: Hrmmm! This is very perplexing! So, this means there is clearly something affecting your judgment, and the frog's, in the same way! Very perplexing... Could it be a virus!?!?

And me? Lie? Would i ever do such a thing as that? 0:)

And I take my glasses off sometimes goaticon3.jpg

and I see no cliffs!!

And everyone knows I'm just not capable of writing a cliffhanger~!

Ahha! Here we see froggish misdirection at play! He said that "the previous chapter ended in a cliffhanger" (emphasis mine). Yet, he complains that in response, I posted the last paragraph of the chapter! It was he himself who specified the END of the chapter. We don't have to limit ourselves to just the last paragraph though... we could include the final ten or even more, and no change.

See? He's using that old Machiavellian trick: doing precisely what he's accusing me of doing! :ph34r:

I see no such misspellings, but.. yes, I am noted for my misspellings! I am, and I freely admit it, the King of Typos!

However, as for that page... I think the frog might be a bit paranoid? I mean.. that page is on the internet, so it must be true... :sheep:

I think the Tennessee Cliffhanger Chirping Frog describes MikeL perfectly! Right down to the fondness for barbecues..

I think the case is clear. Deny it though he might, the frog simply does not want to admit that he sees cliffhangers where there are none.

And come now, would would ever thing that I'm devious? 0:)

B)............Hahahaha!.....

Cliffhanger chirping frogs are diurnal live most of their lives on rock precipices, often near emerging writers. Like most frogs, they will hop, but they are also capable of crawling, which aids them in hiding in rock crevices. Though primarily found around rocky areas, they are also common in bookstores. Their primary diet is small insects, though they are known to be partial to barbecue.

Their distinctive call, "Cliff-hanger! Cliff-hanger!" can be heard year round. They are highly myopic, and have been known to mistake almost anything for a cliff.

• Site Moderator

Earlier this month, I heard on the local news that September is the month that people announce their running for office. Could this be a certain goat's way of announcing he's running for a certain office in the you know what?

Only a goat would think that a feel good paragraph at the end of a chapter erases all outstanding cliffhangers.

I am truly surprised that Benji would fall for your ruse. Perhaps he overlooked my refutation.

B)........... I didn't fall for his ruse, I just found it very funny!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Earlier this month, I heard on the local news that September is the month that people announce their running for office. Could this be a certain goat's way of announcing he's running for a certain office in the you know what?

Ahh! But I never run for that particular vertical office, and in any case, I am not eligible for the 2009 King of Cliffhangers awards, so I cannot be nominated or voted for. :)

Only a goat would think that a feel good paragraph at the end of a chapter erases all outstanding cliffhangers.

I am truly surprised that Benji would fall for your ruse. Perhaps he overlooked my refutation.

Hrmmm... I think what we have here, undeniably, is a frog in denial!

His froggishness said, and I quote, "The very title of chapter 42 confirms that the previous chapter of Circumnavigation ended with a cliffhanger." (Emphasis mine)

Now, to help the frog (who seems to be having difficulty with the word), I'll post the dictionary definition of "ended"

• 1. To bring to a conclusion.
  • 2. To form the last or concluding part of: the song that ended the performance.

So, can anyone say I am not therefor absolutely correct, per our frog's very own words, in citing the last paragraph of the chapter he refers to? Or, to be fair, the last few paragraphs... or even the last half of the chapter?

:music:

So, can anyone say I am not therefor absolutely correct, per our frog's very own words, in citing the last paragraph of the chapter he refers to? Or, to be fair, the last few paragraphs... or even the last half of the chapter?

:music:

B).................Me thinks a cliff-dwelling frog protest too much!! :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator
Ahh! But I never run for that particular vertical office, and in any case, I am not eligible for the 2009 King of Cliffhangers awards, so I cannot be nominated or voted for. :)

While it's true that you weren't eligible for the 2009 award, you are eligible for the 2010 award.

B).................Me thinks a cliff-dwelling frog protest too much!! :lmao:

Indeed he does! :lmao:

While it's true that you weren't eligible for the 2009 award, you are eligible for the 2010 award.

Ah, but I am ineligible for the voting in 2010. :P

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..