Okay, I'll start this reply by saying, hehe. Keen eye--passion for writing---I like you! :2thumbs:

Well I like you too, or else I wouldn't spend so much time reading your stuff and talking to you ;):P

Um, I haven't got a firm count in my head on how many chapters there will be, but I imagine around 14. I don't plan to keep extending and extending, but right from the beginning I planned one more twist to this story (though, the hints earlier on--I think the hint for this is in chapter four--well, I'm not so convinced it's strong enough. More little bits will be added in upcoming chapters though..)

But, I have a definite end in mind for this story (nup, not telling. Only one person sort of knows--and not in detail)--Oh, and I plan to finish it. Hopefully before the nano month in Nov. (Do you take part in that?)

Cheers so much for the note!!! hehehe

Awesome that you've got it all planned out. Obviously you wouldn't tell us here what's going to happen before you post it - that would just be plain silly! You'd better keep those secrets!

Nano month? :blink: Qu'est-ce que?

• Like 2

For chapter Nine...

I thought I'd try something more interactive for you all, so I'll pose some questions, hehehe (okay, there can be no looking back once you've read the chapter--and answers in spoilers please.)

Here are the questions--they're mainly stupid attention-to-detail ones--and you can feel free to skip it...

1) What is the name of the waiter who Scott flirts with?

2) What was the name of the dog Rune helps?

3) The family that passes by Rune on the street are wearing bright yellow A) shorts B ) t-shirts C) caps

4) What place do they eat at?

5) What pie does the mom make?

hehehe, I'm soooo lame. :P love it.

And curious--what other ideas flash into your mind for the themes life and love for the photograph-a-thon? (I actually had a bit of a block when it came to the 'life' bit, personally, I think the first two 'life' pictures of Scott's are a bit cliche and, well, not so creative).

Does anyone do photography as a hobby? hehe, fun fact: I have no clue about how to take a good shot. (I asked a good friend, who is establishing herself as a photographer to give me a run down on stuff--I jotted down notes, but, ah, I'm not sure I understand much of them, lol) She's also away traveling for a few months, so I may have to pull on someone else's knowledge, if any is willing, of course.

Sweet, thanks for reading :D

Anyta

• Like 1

Okay so 8 & 9 left me pissed at Scott, sad for Rune, cheering for Rune, not quite so pissed at Scott, even more in love Rune, and not mad at Scott at all. Nicely done :P

Having seen these two before you posted, I didn't want to comment because I might get confused and say something while commenting on 8 that was coming in 9. BUT now I am free to comment :)

It is the mark of a good writer that you have me so angry at a character for not doing what is clearly in their best interest to everyone but them. :blink:

I don't much like Mom's regression, I got the sense from Scott's reaction that mom hasn't been setting places for 'dad' at the table on a regular basis, so to quote someone - can't remember who said - 'that ain't good!' Poor Dear - reminds me of that line from Copacabana - 'she lost her tony and she lost her mind.' Mom lost her sweet heart and now it seems she lost her mind. Sad :(

So fabulous chapters [i need to use a few gay words every day so count that toward my quota] waiting for the next ones.

Andy

PS, got the dogs name and the family question wrong but got the other three - meh - not so good. but I read the chapter a few days ago so I have a small excuse.

• Like 2

Well well well I wasnt expecting that at the end! :D

Very nicely done, i really enjoyed the fact that Scott and Rune managed to spend a day together that didnt revolve them arguing.

Chance of a happy together? I hope so :)

• Like 1

Hey, you forced me to figure out how to do the spoiler thing with your interactive questionnaire dealy....

1) Toby

2) Sawdust

3) Caps? T-shirts?

4) something Spanish sounding, two words, that started with a "C"

5) Asparagus! EWWWW!

*Cough* No comment on the lameness *cough* :P:lol:

And curious--what other ideas flash into your mind for the themes life and love for the photograph-a-thon? (I actually had a bit of a block when it came to the 'life' bit, personally, I think the first two 'life' pictures of Scott's are a bit cliche and, well, not so creative).

I thought Scott's ideas were pretty good, and who wouldn't start with a pic of a baby for life? Judges are suckers for babies. Although without captions on the pics, it would be hard for the judges to see how the more creative pics related to the themes. Something like the alley being a dead-end would be really hard to interpret without explanation.

I also don't understand why Scott would need two cameras. If one was film, okay, but why two digital cameras? If one was better than the other then why wouldn't he just always use the better one? Also, it's odd that he wouldn't go out there without a flash. Even daylight pics can need some extra light for things that are in the shade, or some really neat things can be done at night, like reflecting light off steam coming from vents and such.

If it were me I'd definitely load the pics onto a computer to review them before handing them in. No matter how nice the display on the back of your camera is, you need a much bigger and higher quality screen to properly assess your photos. Although if Scott didn't have a laptop handy I suppose he'd have to cut out picture taking time to go home and come back.

Does anyone do photography as a hobby? hehe, fun fact: I have no clue about how to take a good shot. (I asked a good friend, who is establishing herself as a photographer to give me a run down on stuff--I jotted down notes, but, ah, I'm not sure I understand much of them, lol) She's also away traveling for a few months, so I may have to pull on someone else's knowledge, if any is willing, of course.

The main thing that comes to mind about composing a shot is the rule of thirds. Think of the frame and then put two evenly spaced horizontal lines through it and two evenly spaced vertical lines through it so the frame is divided into nine equal squares. Any major lines that divide the frame (such as the landscape meeting the sky or a tree trunk) should rest along one of these lines. It is not proper composition to cut the frame in half with a line or object along the very middle horizontal or vertical lines, or too close to the edge.

2155853350038079955S425x425Q85.jpg

See how the line of the ocean and sky is along the top line, not the in the middle of the frame, and the woman's body is along the right line, also not in the middle?

The main thing for portraits is not to have a whole bunch of empty frame in any one spot, unless the person is looking into the blank space or there is a relevant object in the background. It drives me nuts when I give my camera to people and they take a picture of me with my head centered, my feet cut off, and the top third of the frame empty.

Feel free to ask any other questions should you have them!

Did Rune show up at all in the Polaroid picture? I thought it was completely empty, but when he showed up as a spot of light I was wondering if I forgot there was a faint image or something? Or are you distinguishing that the film camera and digital cameras see him differently?

• Like 2

Forty Two, (*bites lip, you're going to catch ALL my inconsistencies, aren't you. LOL. Now I'm nervous. :P)

LOL. I know, right? I was procrastinating a little (lot) yesterday. Anyway close--I find such small details hard to remember, hehe. Okay, enough on that....

I thought Scott's ideas were pretty good, and who wouldn't start with a pic of a baby for life? Judges are suckers for babies. Although without captions on the pics, it would be hard for the judges to see how the more creative pics related to the themes. Something like the alley being a dead-end would be really hard to interpret without explanation.

I also don't understand why Scott would need two cameras. If one was film, okay, but why two digital cameras? If one was better than the other then why wouldn't he just always use the better one? Also, it's odd that he wouldn't go out there without a flash. Even daylight pics can need some extra light for things that are in the shade, or some really neat things can be done at night, like reflecting light off steam coming from vents and such.

If it were me I'd definitely load the pics onto a computer to review them before handing them in. No matter how nice the display on the back of your camera is, you need a much bigger and higher quality screen to properly assess your photos. Although if Scott didn't have a laptop handy I suppose he'd have to cut out picture taking time to go home and come back.

Hehe, babies ARE cute. Well sometimes. Maybe just your own. hehe.

Hmmm, okay, here's where a terrible explanation will begin. Uh, so I imagine Scott has a camera that uses film, and one with a memory card. I want him to have the first so that he can develop pictures in his darkroom--old style. The other is for his pictures that he can then work on in photoshop. Yeah, it made sense to me, but ahhhh....? *gives a cheesy grin.

The computer. Yes, I thought of that. But the nature of the photograph-a-thon to me would mean there is no working on the photos afterwards and with time limitations, I'd imagine most people will be rushing. At least, that's the way I understood it from this friend of mine who competed in something similar.

The main thing that comes to mind about composing a shot is the rule of thirds. Think of the frame and then put two evenly spaced horizontal lines through it and two evenly spaced vertical lines through it so the frame is divided into nine equal squares. Any major lines that divide the frame (such as the landscape meeting the sky or a tree trunk) should rest along one of these lines. It is not proper composition to cut the frame in half with a line or object along the very middle horizontal or vertical lines, or too close to the edge.

Oh wow. I had a vague idea about the thirds rule, but the explanation and picture was great.

See how the line of the ocean and sky is along the top line, not the in the middle of the frame, and the woman's body is along the right line, also not in the middle?

The main thing for portraits is not to have a whole bunch of empty frame in any one spot, unless the person is looking into the blank space or there is a relevant object in the background. It drives me nuts when I give my camera to people and they take a picture of me with my head centered, my feet cut off, and the top third of the frame empty.

Feel free to ask any other questions should you have them!

hehe, I'd just NEVER do that. *hides all photos with feet cut off. Are there any left?

And really, thank you. That's just so :great:

Did Rune show up at all in the Polaroid picture? I thought it was completely empty, but when he showed up as a spot of light I was wondering if I forgot there was a faint image or something? Or are you distinguishing that the film camera and digital cameras see him differently?

In the Polaroid picture he showed up as a bright light (I liken it to capturing the sun directly on camera through the trees and it has this star effect-- but his form didn't show up. Hmmm, I guess this wasn't clear. The first photo taken of Rune, he had his aura around him he was invisible to people. When Scott tried to take a picture of him that first time, only light blotchiness showed up. In my mind, if people can't see Rune, neither can the camera--but his aura has some energy to it that I thought the camera could pick up on. Um, in the photo Scott took of Rune after the fountain. i.e the one that showed up--that was because he sucked his aura in. I figured if people can see him when he does that, why not the camera?

The other thing I wanted to mention touches on a comment in the reviews--the slow developing relationship.

Ummmm, let's just say I'm nervous about chapter ten, then, things sort of speed up a bit. I worry that things come too sudden, but I want to move the story forward and not linger too long unnecessarily. This transition chapter may be a bit bumpy, but I need it to end the way it does. That probably doesn't make much sense not knowing what happens, but blah, I'd hate to ruin expectations.

• Like 1

Well well well I wasnt expecting that at the end! :D

Very nicely done, i really enjoyed the fact that Scott and Rune managed to spend a day together that didnt revolve them arguing.

Chance of a happy together? I hope so :)

Agaith--

Yeah, bit of a shocker end, I suppose...but it does lead to the forging of just a bit more trust between Rune and Scott, wouldn't ya say? Hmmm chance of a happy together.... Let's see how the story evolves, what other things crop up that could make this so, or not so.... Thanks for leaving a message!!!

• Like 1

Hehe, babies ARE cute. Well sometimes. Maybe just your own. hehe.

Lol, no, all babies are ugly :P Judges just like them.

Hmmm, okay, here's where a terrible explanation will begin. Uh, so I imagine Scott has a camera that uses film, and one with a memory card. I want him to have the first so that he can develop pictures in his darkroom--old style. The other is for his pictures that he can then work on in photoshop. Yeah, it made sense to me, but ahhhh....? *gives a cheesy grin.

It does make sense that he would bring a film camera for his own use to play with developing later, not for the competition. I'd just throw in a quick line explaining that.

The computer. Yes, I thought of that. But the nature of the photograph-a-thon to me would mean there is no working on the photos afterwards and with time limitations, I'd imagine most people will be rushing. At least, that's the way I understood it from this friend of mine who competed in something similar.

Yeah, I would imagine there'd be no photoshopping allowed in something like this. It does make sense that with the time limitation and being on location there would be no opportunity to sit at a computer, but since the judges will be reviewing the pics on a bigger, high quality screen, it makes sense to review your pics on one of the same quality if you can. It's not a major enough point to worry about changing your story over though.

In the Polaroid picture he showed up as a bright light (I liken it to capturing the sun directly on camera through the trees and it has this star effect-- but his form didn't show up. Hmmm, I guess this wasn't clear.

It probably was clear, I just forgot and was too lazy to go back and look for it :P

The first photo taken of Rune, he had his aura around him he was invisible to people. When Scott tried to take a picture of him that first time, only light blotchiness showed up. In my mind, if people can't see Rune, neither can the camera--but his aura has some energy to it that I thought the camera could pick up on. Um, in the photo Scott took of Rune after the fountain. i.e the one that showed up--that was because he sucked his aura in. I figured if people can see him when he does that, why not the camera?

It makes perfect sense that when people can see Rune, the camera can see Rune, and when people can't, the camera can't, since the camera and eyes work the exact same way with regards to "seeing" reflected light. In reality it makes no sense that the camera would pick up a blurry energy/light blob when people can't see it. The whole idea that cameras can pick up ghosts and such that people can't see makes no sense whatsoever according to all the laws of physics. In the story it is plausible that the camera would see something because hey, invisible boy here, if you accept that then you have to accept other things (although since this is an issue I have frustrations with in real life, I would never be able to write it this way :P ). So you make whatever rules you want, it's your artistic license :)

With regards to your spoiler comments, I wouldn't worry about it. You're never going to know how people respond until they see it, and there's no point in changing things or worrying about things that you feel work well. Stories don't have to be a consistent pace the whole way through, and often making a roller coaster ride with a slow build and then a sudden drop is just perfect.

I can't wait for more! :2thumbs:

• Like 2
Lol, no, all babies are ugly tongue.gif Judges just like them.

You mean they have to judge them high despite internally cringing, for fear of the ramifications claiming the ugly truth...

It makes perfect sense that when people can see Rune, the camera can see Rune, and when people can't, the camera can't, since the camera and eyes work the exact same way with regards to "seeing" reflected light. In reality it makes no sense that the camera would pick up a blurry energy/light blob when people can't see it. The whole idea that cameras can pick up ghosts and such that people can't see makes no sense whatsoever according to all the laws of physics. In the story it is plausible that the camera would see something because hey, invisible boy here, if you accept that then you have to accept other things (although since this is an issue I have frustrations with in real life, I would never be able to write it this way tongue.gif ). So you make whatever rules you want, it's your artistic license smile.gif

*coughs... hmmm. You know how on a digital camera you can (gonna get REAL technical here,lol) press a button and you can choose between settings like sunset setting or other ones (I think it might have something to do with the amount of time before the shutter does its thing--ok, anyway, the pictures then come out lighter or darker. Hmmm could I work it that even invisible there's a shimmering of light in the air (sort of like the heat that comes of a tar road on a hot day) Would a camera pick that up with the right amount of time before the shutter clicks?

Did that make ANY sense? Don't think so. Doesn't matter. But I do get the dislike of inconsistencies and things. I'm afraid I've a long ways to go. And that's way writing fantasy is so difficult. The dang rules.... rrrr. hehe.

Sweet, thanks for all the help! :D

• Like 1
B)...............Finally after 4 years one admits to being gay, at this rate they might have sex when they hit 30 :wacko: Poor Scott, his mother really went off the deep end, don't see any resolution for her, she won't even get into a car. Great chapter!
  • Like 1

B)...............Finally after 4 years one admits to being gay, at this rate they might have sex when they hit 30 :wacko: Poor Scott, his mother really went off the deep end, don't see any resolution for her, she won't even get into a car. Great chapter!

Heya Benji! Thanks for the note. Yes, things are finally taking a turn with poor Rune and Scott--let's see how things work out for them. :P

• Like 1

Alrightie then.

Chapter ten is up here. Well, hmmmm, I feel the next chapters are a bit of a bumpy transition. Chapter eleven--at least the first draft is my least favorite chapter. Let's just say the story is hitting some turbulent waters at the moment--I've always found transitioning time difficult to do and keep the flow of the story even as well.

Anyone have tips on writing such transitions? I've tried to look up things online, but haven't really found much. Does it disturb people too much if I fly over weeks without detailing what happens--i.e I'll give a quick summary? In the chapter I imagine a transition of time, a scene, another transition, another scene and then that once more--but I'm not liking the idea for flow. Rrrrrrr--and if I didn't have the time in between it'd make things seem like they're happening unbelievably fast.

On a positive note, I do see this story being finished by November. :D It could probably be a lot longer and more could be done with it, but due to time limitations I will wrap things up pretty soonish--like 14ish chapters. I'm going to try to end this on an even number, too :P .

Sweet, thanks for all the great help, and awesome encouragement,

Anyta

• Like 1

About chapter 10...

I didn't get until I read another review that Scott was wearing Rune's clothes and as you set up before, after a while they become invisible too... Poor seemingly naked Scott. I hope Rune forgot/didn't realize too, because if he let Scott walk around "naked" on purpose for laughs or for some kind of retribution that would just be mean :(

It was very nice how you worked in them stepping up into an actual relationship without using sex. Sorry for the people who are dying for a sex scene, but the long slow build is definitely working for me. (You may have to give us a little descriptive action at SOME point though :P )

Anyone have tips on writing such transitions? I've tried to look up things online, but haven't really found much. Does it disturb people too much if I fly over weeks without detailing what happens--i.e I'll give a quick summary? In the chapter I imagine a transition of time, a scene, another transition, another scene and then that once more--but I'm not liking the idea for flow. Rrrrrrr--and if I didn't have the time in between it'd make things seem like they're happening unbelievably fast.

My two cents on this - Jumping through time can be fine - it all just depends on how you present it. It feeling like not much time has passed is always a risk, you just have to make sure you keep the passage of time at the forefront of your readers minds by, at least at the beginning, highlighting the differences between past and present. For example, mentioning something physically different about the character (hair growth is always a good time indicator, or muscle build), a change in skill level (like Rune's guitar playing), a change in how the characters act with each other, an obviously new location that implies time change (like how when Scott was now living in the city and working as a waiter when you did the four year jump), stuff like that. As long as the time change is clear implicitly you don't have to explain it right away - in fact, I hate it when a chapter begins with a bunch of summary or flashback, why wouldn't you start the chapter in that earlier time then? - as long as it is explained/summarized eventually (by the end of the chapter or early in the next one). I'd write it the way it seems to occur naturally in your head first, then get your beta readers to tell you whether it needs to be tweaked or approached from a different angle.

• Like 2

I really liked this chapter Anyta :D

I like the way Rune told Scott exactly what he needed. And the lack of action will make any we see later on all the sweeter ;)

Scott's mum seems to need more help than she is getting.

Their behaviour once they finally admit to each other they like each other is very cute and it was almost like they were kids again with the constant want to hold hands :)

Look forward to more :)

In relation to the translations during a story Anyta, personally I dont mind and I would skip sometimes in my own stories if it needed to. Sometimes a story just doesnt follow day to day. As long as the reader as a brief outline of the gap then I don't think it will confusing or broken. :D (Just my thoughts)

• Like 2

Hello Forty-Two,

Always nice to read your comments. :D

Regarding the spoiler there--there's more on this later, but let me assure you Rune wasn't being mean.

It was very nice how you worked in them stepping up into an actual relationship without using sex. Sorry for the people who are dying for a sex scene, but the long slow build is definitely working for me. (You may have to give us a little descriptive action at SOME point though tongue.gif )

It's interesting the different opinions there are when it comes to sex scenes. I can't please everyone, but my opinion on the topic is if it fits the story then it goes in--well, yes, I like a little description, and I figure for those that don't there's always skim reading. ;) Though, I admit to it's being much easier to read than to write, lol. Still, I want to work on all aspects of writing, so... well, let's see how the story goes.

As for the transitions, yeah, I like the idea of starting within the action and clues and reflection telling the reader when this is, but in chapter twelve I will have a para or two of narrative summary--I can't, as yet, see how to introduce this differently. hmmmm.. just did a count. It's 161 words of summary--only of the most important parts, but all too small to show in scenes. Hair growth and muscle build is good--but I'm only transitioning by a few weeks. That could work for other projects though, thanks. :D

Cheers again for the message,

Anyta

• Like 1

I really liked this chapter Anyta :D

I like the way Rune told Scott exactly what he needed. And the lack of action will make any we see later on all the sweeter ;)

Scott's mum seems to need more help than she is getting.

Their behaviour once they finally admit to each other they like each other is very cute and it was almost like they were kids again with the constant want to hold hands :)

Look forward to more :)

In relation to the translations during a story Anyta, personally I dont mind and I would skip sometimes in my own stories if it needed to. Sometimes a story just doesnt follow day to day. As long as the reader as a brief outline of the gap then I don't think it will confusing or broken. :D (Just my thoughts)

Thanks Agaith,

Yes, Rune was pretty clear in this chapter--just goes to show how far a little communication can go. Hehe, hopefully it will be sweet... IF their relationship heads in that direction of course, hehe.

I like that their behaviour comes across as sweet--Yay.

• Like 1

Lol! I love that story, hehehe. Makes me chuckle every time. :D

Actually I be applaud looking an old guy with no clothes ... the princes new clothes .., yes

it be really something if they both had no clothes on but only if rune extends his invisibility

another issue ... by extending ... but he hasn't done it for a long period of time

it would be interesting if that happen and scott would learn something of it

Actually I be applaud looking an old guy with no clothes ... the princes new clothes .., yes

it be really something if they both had no clothes on but only if rune extends his invisibility

another issue ... by extending ... but he hasn't done it for a long period of time

it would be interesting if that happen and scott would learn something of it

All interesting issues... let's see how things go... ;)

And an emperor with no clothes, come on, the arrogance...hiliarious.

• Like 1

All interesting issues... let's see how things go... ;)

And an emperor with no clothes, come on, the arrogance...hiliarious.

B)............ I can be so dense sometimes, I had forgotten that Rune's clothes held that invisible quality! Haha! So Scott was unknowingly walking around in all his glory I guess his surprised mom will clue him in when he gets home. I'm going to take a guess that Rune was unaware because he is so used to it! Great chapter, looking forward to more!

Benji:

B)............ I can be so dense sometimes, I had forgotten that Rune's clothes held that invisible quality! Haha! So Scott was unknowingly walking around in all his glory I guess his surprised mom will clue him in when he gets home. I'm going to take a guess that Rune was unaware because he is so used to it! Great chapter, looking forward to more!

No, not dense at all, it isn't necessary to have picked up on this yet. This comes up a little more later on. I'm looking forward to writing more, too. Yay, love a win-win. :) hehe. Thanks for your message.

• Like 1

Disclaimer, I did not read the other comments so I could give you mine without being tainted by theirs. [i believe that is the M.O. of one Anyta Sunday :P ]

Going day by day is definitely NOT needed. So skipping weeks is fine, so long as there is some way to account for the time - they could be talking, drop a shot blurb about how long it's been since - something like, Rune says, these last two week have been the best of my life - something along those lines.

The key is are you leaving out a pivotal moment? If you then I would say don't do it - but I suspect you knew that. But I for one and fine with and often do write a short scene here, another a few weeks later, etc without painting a play by play story of every date, or every moment they have. Summarizing Scott's life after Rune left was fine, because it just needed to be there so you could get to the part where they meet again. Skipping their reconciling their 'relationship' would not be so good because that is the focus of part two.

However, that said, this new phase of their lives is pivotal - so glossing over it, might be a mistake. doing it by summarized flash backs would not be my preferred method. Once you have established their relationship - whatever it is - friends, lovers, somewhere in between - then you can skip weeks or months and summarize through a conversation or something.

As we both know, you understand the need for each scene to move things along, but the converse is too many scenes moving things forward can be a problem as well. It is the author refusing to let the story take it's natural course and get to the conflict and resolution.

So I think you can skip over weeks but the the week(s) following the end of Chapter 10.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks! Good tips, I think I'm going to re-write the part I wrote yesterday--I liked the point of the author refusing to let the story take its natural course. I think I might be forcing things a bit too much, I'm going to try just seeing where the story leads me today.

the converse is too many scenes moving things forward can be a problem as well.

As if it wasn't tricky enough, lol, I have to consider this too.

Disclaimer, I did not read the other comments so I could give you mine without being tainted by theirs.

Lol. But I think this a good thing sometimes. :D

• Like 1