Do looks really (not) matter?

--------

In relationships, I think there needs to be a good degree of sexual attraction to the other person. But obviously a relationship can not survive on sex alone, so the person definitely has to have a good personality. I would much rather be with someone who has a personality over looks instead of the other way around. So I think looks do matter to some degree, but it definitely is not as much as a make or break factor as personality is for me.

That was what said Plato in "The symposium" where a bunch of friends were talking about love.

Socrates said, that if you love a young man by the beauty of his body, your love would not last. For the body gets old and looses its beauty. Then, you have love someone by his virtue, the beauty of his mind, for this beauty does not fade, but increases with time, as he perfects and enriches his soul.

I am not sure if this is true, for mostly my love of man, was of the sort span type, and was motivated mostly by lust. I never had any illusion of loving anyone forever. Just for a few days, or mostly a few weeks.