Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Where the hell is Trevor going?!?!?

I thought we could have a second chapter 54 thread for this particular question: Where is Trevor going?

At the end of chapter 54, we see this.

Trevor drummed his fingers on the salon floor, staring at his map, his eyes narrowing as an idea took form. He glanced up at the salon

Naaa ... with or without the holy short pants ... Trevor avoiding the TSA pat downs ... X-Rays ... and cavity search

Other than that ... I think your following in Nephy preference to torcher one's characters

I kind of think you're giving him the excuse to never shower again after all the wet days he's about to have

:thumbdown:

Naaa ... with or without the holy short pants ... Trevor avoiding the TSA pat downs ... X-Rays ... and cavity search

Other than that ... I think your following in Nephy preference to torcher one's characters

I kind of think you're giving him the excuse to never shower again after all the wet days he's about to have

B)............My guess is that he is going to run straight south towards the last islands and set fire to what is left of the Atlantis in hopes of getting a rescue. The pool noodles will be his anchor as he hopes the flaming boat will be seen. Or he can continue south and pick up the current that runs straight for Australia, not sure how much provisions he could have for that trip though. I doubt he is going there (Australia) I am pretty sure he is going to take on the rough seas headed south and take his chances with a rescue from the obscure islands. The Atlantis is done!!

Okay, we know he can't go back and get to Reunion or Mauritius, because he's limited to running close to downwind.

Trevor's biggest enemy is time; Atlantis is leaking more every day, he's running out of food, etc.

That netting sail is already decaying due to the sun... it's already fragile, and won't last much longer, not enough to do him any good.

Any guesses as to where he's going, or how? There are clues in the quoted paragraph to both.

Here's another; the title of chapter 55 is "Hellbound".

Guess where? Ozzieland :boy:

Guess how? Build himself a wingsail :lmao:

Clue? "He glanced up at the salon

He should have seen a ship ... I am not sure if he pass this dense shipping lane ...

it looks like he's in the middle of a dense shipping lane

If he stays south ... no hopes for rescue

he have to travel 2000 miles to hit another shipping lane

there is medium shipping lane he could hit but I don't know about the wind

I don't know about him building another sail out of the saloon roof ... thats a big undertaking

map_strategic_passages.png

Two major destinations come to mind, depending on the wind patterns. Australia (which he stated is impossible already, due to the rough seas that would sink Atlantis, and the fact that he does not have the supplies to live enough anyway), and the Cape of Good Hope, on the continent where life began. Or, rather, South Africa. I'm not sure the winds will take him there, though. The Goat has droned on and on about winds going this way and that way in this time of year and in that neck of the woods... I'm lost lol.

I'm not sure Trevor has the means of cutting off the salon roof and using it to catch the wind. This is fiberglass and kevlar we're talking about here, not paper and fabric (well, not the sort of fabric we're used to seeing, or what's in his sail).

There is a destination to the south of him also that he could go to.

B).......That is what I'm thinking here, Trevor is going for broke here, the Atlantis is dead to him. Her only salvation to him may be her demise, it is an insane move but desperation calls for a desperate act, floating between the last two islands. Trevor may have no choice to either sink or swim here, the pool noodles are the key to his supposed survival, the fiery end to the Atlantis is his signal, the jaws of death are his chances of a rescue accruing. If it fails, then all is lost! Still I am wondering about the fiberglass roof of the boat though, what significance could it have in the goats hint. I don't see Trevor making another sail out of her, but could the curved downward part of the roof give him a different sail proportion? I don't think he needs to slice this up, I think maybe he only needs to unsnap it from it's placement, kinda of like removing a window from its glazing. Whatever the answer here it is plain to see that he cannot travel back north and his destination is south by the winds direction. Taking the current to Australia is a slow kill for him, so it makes sense that he will continue south in hopes of attracting attention there. The jaws of death, to do or not to do, the flip of the coin is the destiny of this travel.

B).......That is what I'm thinking here, Trevor is going for broke here, the Atlantis is dead to him. Her only salvation to him may be her demise, it is an insane move but desperation calls for a desperate act, floating between the last two islands. Trevor may have no choice to either sink or swim here, the pool noodles are the key to his supposed survival, the fiery end to the Atlantis is his signal, the jaws of death are his chances of a rescue accruing. If it fails, then all is lost! Still I am wondering about the fiberglass roof of the boat though, what significance could it have in the goats hint. I don't see Trevor making another sail out of her, but could the curved downward part of the roof give him a different sail proportion? I don't think he needs to slice this up, I think maybe he only needs to unsnap it from it's placement, kinda of like removing a window from its glazing. Whatever the answer here it is plain to see that he cannot travel back north and his destination is south by the winds direction. Taking the current to Australia is a slow kill for him, so it makes sense that he will continue south in hopes of attracting attention there. The jaws of death, to do or not to do, the flip of the coin is the destiny of this travel.

I did mention these islands before ... now I like to see CJ make us all shiver ... and see what gay penguin going to warm Trevor's hot dog ... I mean great tasting worm

Some great ideas above!

I dare not say much... I can say that the next chapter is called "Hellbound".

Trevor does have problems... basically, he missed Reunion and can't go back, so he's had what I call a minor navigational inconvenience. :)

The chart of shipping lanes above is great! It illustrates his problem; he's leaving them behind, and there is nothing ahead of him.

BTW, the wind patterns mentioned above are a good point. I illustrate the historical ones (for that day and date in 2006) in the coming chapter... but, I can show today's weather in the region.

000.png

if that link works, you're seeing today's weather map from passageweather.com Those are the winds, and their force, today (And that map will probably autoupdate every day, so it's live for the day you're viewing it).

One thing to mention about the map.. the little wind arrows all over it. The bare end of the lines point in the direction the wind is blowing, and the "feathers" on the other end indicate the force.

:chris:

I may be completely obtuse about this, and I'm not by any means a great sailor, but I've done it before. I know a bit about reading a chart and I've been playing around on Google Earth and passageweather a bit.

I think he's going back after Ali. There's no alternative, I don't think. Atlantis is making between 2 and 4 knots a day depending on weight and wind (Trevor's little fit of despair didn't help, he was moving pretty slow there for a couple of days). Ali's engines died about 50 miles east of Agalega, and you've made no mention that he is using sea anchors (he's pretty stupid. He'd need to hold his position while they fixed the engine, right?)

So, Ali has maybe drifted down roughly the same course, to the east of Atlantis' course. He'll be side-on to the wind and may be making about the same speed.

The timing doesn't make a lot of sense, the mechanic on Algol says the remaining engine could be running, badly, in a week, and at this point, they attacked Atlantis eleven days earlier. So I'm not sure what to say about that other than with the wind patterns, it's possible that Trevor can take a stab at where the Algol would be if she'd drifted along with Atlantis.

Just my two cents...

I may be completely obtuse about this, and I'm not by any means a great sailor, but I've done it before. I know a bit about reading a chart and I've been playing around on Google Earth and passageweather a bit.

I think he's going back after Ali. There's no alternative, I don't think. Atlantis is making between 2 and 4 knots a day depending on weight and wind (Trevor's little fit of despair didn't help, he was moving pretty slow there for a couple of days). Ali's engines died about 50 miles east of Agalega, and you've made no mention that he is using sea anchors (he's pretty stupid. He'd need to hold his position while they fixed the engine, right?)

So, Ali has maybe drifted down roughly the same course, to the east of Atlantis' course. He'll be side-on to the wind and may be making about the same speed.

The timing doesn't make a lot of sense, the mechanic on Algol says the remaining engine could be running, badly, in a week, and at this point, they attacked Atlantis eleven days earlier. So I'm not sure what to say about that other than with the wind patterns, it's possible that Trevor can take a stab at where the Algol would be if she'd drifted along with Atlantis.

Just my two cents...

:blink:........How the hell could Trevor turn the boat back around to the north? He is sail bound by the prevailing winds which last I saw were southerly. If he could redirect north towards Ali's boat why would he not just head back towards Reunion? Remember Trevor was sailing, Ali's boat was adrift, no way they could make up that much distance of 10 days or more. UNREAL interesting Idea though, revenge by Trevor!!! 0:)

Who says Ali's boat stayed to the north? Atlantis can only sail downwind. Ali didn't anchor and was adrift with no engines. Their courses parallel each other with Algol being 50 miles east of Atlantis, which is how far Ali got before the engines seized.

Who says Ali's boat stayed to the north? Atlantis can only sail downwind. Ali didn't anchor and was adrift with no engines. Their courses parallel each other with Algol being 50 miles east of Atlantis, which is how far Ali got before the engines seized.

B)............But yeah! Trevor made improvised sails that sailed south along the winds, Ali's boat was large and had no such advantage at traveling at the same speed as Trevor had. Trevor's boat was smaller and faster and with sails. Ali's is dead in the water, floating, I doubt they could meet at the speed between them given Trevor's mast. so how do the twain meet?

Here's where I bow out, conclude I don't understand many things around me, and wish everyone a good day. :)

It was a good theory! It would have been a viable option, if Algol had been in range and Trevor had a way of finding her. He's already raided her once (and saved his garlic crusher! Without that perilous naked raid, he wouldn't have it.)

If Trevor did manage to raid the Algol again... there are things aboard he would find very useful indeed. EPIRBs, for one. Or just his fuel, for another. He still has engines, just no fuel. So, all he'd need would be fuel, some minor engine repairs (which he can do himself) and a means of starting them (his battery pack, or just a jumper line from the Algol). Then he'd have a range of over 1500 miles under power.

Oh, BTW... do we see Algol (the pirates trawler) again in the story? Yes. :chris: This may or may not mean they are anywhere near Trevor at any point, but we do see them again. :chris:

Oh, BTW... do we see Algol (the pirates trawler) again in the story? Yes. :chris: This may or may not mean they are anywhere near Trevor at any point, but we do see them again. :chris:

I'm sure that Sanchez left out the part about the Atlantis being involved in a bombing in Egypt. Otherwise Ali wouldn't have touched her with a 10' pole. When they are spotted by a patrol and the patrol investigates their ship with all the contraband aboard. I'm sure Ali is in for a big shock and will probably roll over on someone. hehe

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..