Editor Vs. Beta Reader?

How to know if you need an Editor or not? Maybe I just need a Beta Reader? I’ve been writing for years without an editor, since the stories have been for my own enjoyment. The closest to an editor is my grammar-neurotic best friend who circles mistakes with a fat red marker. Some pages looked like they have the chickenpox.

GA is my first public display of my writing. In the last month, a good number of people have read my stories, but I’ve gotten very little comments or reviews. I’m not arrogant enough to say this is awesome and doesn’t need improvement, I just want someone to read and tell me what they think, what needs work, or if they catch errors that I miss.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to GA!

• Site Administrator

That sounds like you would like a beta reader really. A beta reads your stories, talks about plot, characterization, what works, what doesn't, timeline errors, inconsistencies... I beta for a core group of about 6-7 authors and add up to about 10 more off and on depending on what they need. What I do for each writer is different, depending on what they want from me. Sometimes I look just for plot/character errors. Sometimes I do that and more, up to and including grammar, punctuation, spelling. It just depends on the story and what the writer I'm working with at the time wants. Most of the writers I have use a team in fact of more than 1 person, often a beta and an editor or multiple betas. If you would like to sign up and request an official beta/editor send a pm to sat8997. She is in charge of that program within the Writer's Support Team. You can also check out the editor/writer's corners.

As for comments and reviews on your stories, have you a topic for each story? Do you respond to reviews? Do you read and review/comment for other's stories? Those who are active on the site with reading and giving out reviews to other authors tend to receive more reviews in return. You can also put a link to your stories in your signature. You can do a basic text link if you like or do an image as a signature, such as mine. It is actually clickable and sends the user to my story listing. I can help you with that if you like and don't know how to do an image, I've made several signatures or I could guide you to input one of your own. Readership starts out slow, stick with it and the site and they'll improve.

KC,

I found my betas in Chat. I find I have an advantage with them when they read. Because both use English as a second language they spot my errors in time, space, and basic sentence structure for me. They tell me honestly what doesn't make sense. I then have a native English speaker as my editor. He finds my spelling and grammar errors but helps to make sure the American slang stays in place and doesn't get lost in translation on me.

Wayne

PS - Cia makes a great point. I read and comment on a lot of work. That allows me to see what is out there, what works, and because I am willing to help them by reading many return the favor.

KC,

I found my betas in Chat. I find I have an advantage with them when they read. Because both use English as a second language they spot my errors in time, space, and basic sentence structure for me. They tell me honestly what doesn't make sense. I then have a native English speaker as my editor. He finds my spelling and grammar errors but helps to make sure the American slang stays in place and doesn't get lost in translation on me.

Wayne

PS - Cia makes a great point. I read and comment on a lot of work. That allows me to see what is out there, what works, and because I am willing to help them by reading many return the favor.

Thanks Comic. I noticed that you comment on most of my work and I love it. I like to hear what people think of what I've written. I now have a beta reader and editor and I'm thrilled! I really think they will help me take my work to the next level. Hope to have more stories up real soon!:D