Need help with medical terms

Billy Martin

I need help from someone with knowledge of medical terms so I can have a Doctor give a verbal report to a Judge of his examination of the boy below. In addition to the below injuries, the boy also has slight fractured rib that is months old.

Roger took a look at Joey’s back seeing the dark patches of blood vivid against his pale shirt. Roger looked back, his eyes wide as he nods and fell in behind us.

I started unbuttoning his shirt. I took my time so I wouldn’t pull on the shirt in anyway which could hurt him more. That’s when I noticed all the red welts, plus the purple and yellow bruising on his chest and stomach. I tried to be real careful pulling his shirt tail out of his pants, but I caused him to wince just by tugging on his shirt. The sharp intake of breath alerted me to just how much pain he was in.

When I got the shirt off his back I nearly puked. There were bleeding welts across his back like someone had taken a belt and tried to beat him to death. With just a glance, I could see not only the dark bruising, the welts and blood, but also evidence of other beatings Joey had taken. I knew for Joey, I had to get my act together or I was just going to make things worse. So I pushed breakfast back down and turned Joey back around to face me.

Getting up to follow, I looked back at him and saw that indeed it was one of those gowns. But my excitement over my discovery was tempered when I saw the back of his thighs. They too were scarred and bruised like much of his back and tummy. I had to swallow back the bile rising in my throat. This has been a roller coaster ride of a day so far, that’s for sure.

Okay. I think you did good, just as this is. I'm not a doctor, but I know some stuff with medicine.

Did you mean bleeding welts or bloodied welts? I think bloodied sounds better unless the welts are STILL bleeding, then it should be bleeding welts.

I think that a doctor if he was being clinical would say something along the lines of.

He has clearly been beaten repeatedly over a period of times. There are bruises of differing ages and on this occasion he has been beaten with an object with a sharply defined edge, such as a belt. There is one example of a wound that might have been caused by a buckle and the rest of his back is marked with stripes that are still bleeding, at least half an hour after they were inflicted.

Welts are raised patches where the skin is not broken, so they wouldn't be bleeding

• Like 1

If you were going to talk about the old fracture ... are there x-rays involved? I think the term you would use for the bone rehealing is calcification, but i'm not 100 per cent.

Ps- don't be afraid to bluff it. If you pretend to know what you're talking about often you can get away with it!!! I make a whooole load of stuff up when I write. Creative license ;)