You would hope we would be better than this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...w-west-17219696

In a frenzied attack, a schoolboy lost his life. What shocks me most about this, is this happened not too far from where I live. With apologies to our American friends, in the UK this sort of thing just doesn't happen, it's more likely to happen in the states.

My thoughts go out to the family of Jack.

And people ask me why I am in favour of the death sentence.

The perpetrator of this crime is the scum of the Earth, and my tax money is going to keep him in the lap of luxury for the next god knows how long. Those like him deserve to fry. This reminds me of the Jamie Bulger murder back in 1992, where the perpetrators (two ten year olds) served a sentence of eight years.

My thoughts and prayers are with Jack's family.

And people ask me why I am in favour of the death sentence.

The perpetrator of this crime is the scum of the Earth, and my tax money is going to keep him in the lap of luxury for the next god knows how long. Those like him deserve to fry. This reminds me of the Jamie Bulger murder back in 1992, where the perpetrators (two ten year olds) served a sentence of eight years.

My thoughts and prayers are with Jack's family.

I couldn't agree more with you Andy, the death penalty should still apply in some crimes as they are so horrible. What type of closure or sense of justice is the family of Jack going to recieve ? None, knowing that their boys killer will be kept in an environment which they have to contribute to.

The US has gun crime, the UK has knife crime.

Apart from the repugnance of State judicial killing, a major problem with the death penalty is where do you draw the line? Which type of killing should have the death penalty and which should not?

And when you've decided on which type does / does not have the death penalty you then have the issue of evidence (where the defendant pleads not guilty) to prove the defendant killed the victim. Or (as in this case) evidence to prove the defendant had the necessary state of mind. The burden of proof is "beyond reasonable doubt". But that does not mean no doubt. This case seems clear cut in that there seems no doubt Roy killed Jack. But where the defendant denies the killing it is down to evidence. And we all know how fallible evidence can be even with modern forensics and DNA. We all know how fallible so-called "expert witness" testimony can be. There have even been cases where the police, convinced of someone's guilt, have tampered with evidence or even lied on oath to secure a conviction, so convinced were they that "cutting corners" was the right thing to do to "get that bastard put away". We also know of many cases where people wrongly convicted of murder have subsequently been acquitted - in some of these cases their innocence has been confirmed by the Crown and compensation paid. If these people had they been executed then the opportunity to right the wrong would no longer exist - because they would be dead.

Emotionally I understand your reaction and wish to have the death penalty reinstated. But you must accept that if your wish was granted then more innocent people would inevitably be executed. You might think that was a reasonable price to pay. I suspect the innocent person being executed would think differently.

Would I feel differently if Jack were my brother / lover? I'm sure I would. But that would be my personal emotional response. And States should not make policy decisions based on emotion.

Edited by Zombie
  • Site Administrator
WARNING: Discussions on the merits of a death penalty tend to be rather political. There are threads on that subject in The Soapbox if you want to discuss the issue. Please do not discuss them here in The Lounge as this is a non-political zone.