Open Club  ·  285 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Mark Arbour

Well Ricky, I tried to post it in time for your journey.  Sorry about that. 

To Westie:  Thank you for your wonderful summations on both the prize money situation and the rules in the Lords. :wub:

This latest chapter was one filled with thought and remembering those we have lost during this series.  I have decided to try and be a little more like Granger and try to remember Travers with a smile rather than a tear.  Travers was the first person in the series that I really really liked, yes, even before I liked Granger himself.

I am starting to think that even with the writ from the King and Privy Council that Granger may find his dislodging of Maidstone more troublesome than anyone believed possible.  This conspiracy against the Crown, for that is what it is, makes this a dangerous situation all the way around.  I sort of hope we see a few people hanging in the Pacific before Granger leaves like the mutineers at the Nore.  Maidstone's money might save him in London but will it from Granger's sense of right and wrong?

I had sort of assumed that Granger would leave Bertie in charge but after the letter from Lammert, I don't think this is likely.  I do have to wonder where he will find a replacement in the middle of the Pacific...  I can't wait to see how this develops.  I wonder how Somers would feel about being Governor?

I was going to do this as a review but the system wouldn't let me. BEFORE THAT I WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNECE THAT THE MINNESOTA STATE HOUSE PASSED THE EQUAL MARRAGE LAW. Monday THE STATE SENATE WILL PASS IT AND GOV. DAYTON WITH SIGN IT INTO LAW ON TUESDAY!! In November Minnesota voters defeated a protection of marriage amendment. Way to go!!! Back to George. What is very unusual is that the new passenger and a good friend of mine are related. Frank's ( my friend) family came to this country in 1620, when the Dutch were still in New York. Small world.

Again I am reminded that George is only in his early 20's. I think what is so appealing about him is he is so cute and so smart. Thanks for the new chapter. Sometimes we get into CAP so much we forget how great George is. Mark, I hope your readers understand how much harder it is to write this story. Thank you again for taking the time and effort to bring it to us.

• Like 1

This latest chapter was one filled with thought and remembering those we have lost during this series.  I have decided to try and be a little more like Granger and try to remember Travers with a smile rather than a tear.  Travers was the first person in the series that I really really liked, yes, even before I liked Granger himself.

I am starting to think that even with the writ from the King and Privy Council that Granger may find his dislodging of Maidstone more troublesome than anyone believed possible.  This conspiracy against the Crown, for that is what it is, makes this a dangerous situation all the way around.  I sort of hope we see a few people hanging in the Pacific before Granger leaves like the mutineers at the Nore.  Maidstone's money might save him in London but will it from Granger's sense of right and wrong?

I had sort of assumed that Granger would leave Bertie in charge but after the letter from Lammert, I don't think this is likely.  I do have to wonder where he will find a replacement in the middle of the Pacific...  I can't wait to see how this develops.  I wonder how Somers would feel about being Governor?

I believe Lord Chartley would be a good candidate to take over, since he is intimate with what is going on there.

Both good points! Sommers OR Chartley would be good choices. And Bertie may reprieve himself sufficiently to warrant his remaining. Just because Lammert suggested it doesn't mean it will happen. George will weigh it all out.

This was a great chapter Mark! Lots of meat to sink our teeth into. Let's just hope that Maidstone doesn't get his hands on the doctor. As for the Vulture, if everyone else knows Granger came that way I am sure Maidstone does too. Perhaps he set the whole thing up? There wasn't supposed to be a ship of the line over there. Makes one wonder if Maidstone is leaking the info to try and get Granger out of the way and getting the doctor at the same time. He seems to be a master of deception and distraction.

There are a lot of people with motives to set Granger up to die. His little Royal Bastards daddy for one, (Unlikely though for a number of reason.) davina for two. If he was dead there would be no one to question the parentage of her child. If she really IS pregnant. And he had her dear "Alfred" killed when her footmen were pressed into service. And we won't even get into the Mann's and Wilcox's. (Or was that the Hatfields and McCoys?)

I'll have to give it a good listen again to see if I may have missed anything before I comment further on the political side of it.

See, this is the kind of stuff you get when you're patient. All meat and potatoes! Not a wasted word in the bunch.

• Like 1

Fantastic how you fed us enough information to makes us think we understand Maidstone and his supporters better.   I still don't think that is the full story.  I am sure that Granger won't face maidstone alone.  He is not to be trusted and although George is a Peer, he is not a Peer if he can't be found.  I shouldn't be thinking that dasterdadly, but it seems he has earned his reputation.

I think his grandfather's advice will serve him well.  

The thing that unsettles me most is how EVERYONE seems to know his mission and his course.  Maidstone might not dare to harm him directly, but no telling what or who he might pay to try and kill Granger before he ever sees Maidstone himself.

I think it would be wise to send Sommers and a few others in early trying to make sure the guards know that Granger is the King's representative so that they understand for sure whom they should support.

• Like 1

"In a sense, the British use of opium was a reaction to Chinese trade practices that still cause problems today.  China was a net exporter, sucking the wealth out of other countries, back in those days.  Seems nothing's changed."

An astoundingly accurate statement. 

• Like 2

Did you know there is a Hornblower restaurant right across the street from the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero here is San Fun DIsco! Probably won't get to it until Tuesday, but it's a mission.

At the time opium was known as a medicine in England and was sold over the counter much like aspirin. However John Company knew full well what it was capable of (addiction) when smoked and knowingly forced upon it upon the Chinese (cause of two wars later on). So much for the Honourable East India Company, today we Cartels and Mafias.

At the time opium was known as a medicine in England and was sold over the counter much like aspirin. However John Company knew full well what it was capable of (addiction) when smoked and knowingly forced upon it upon the Chinese (cause of two wars later on). So much for the Honourable East India Company, today we Cartels and Mafias.

A very simplistic - and inaccurate - way of looking at it.

Opium use in China was widespread and popular since the mid 1400's.  Addiction was thought to be similar to tobacco right up until the 20th Century.  The East India company, at th request of the british government, circumvented a ban in china in order to offset the balance of trade.  While it fed a black market, it did not CREATE that market.  Nor did it FORCE it upon th chinese.

The ban - and the subsequent opium wars - were almost exclusively to do with trade and balance of payments (i.e. economic reasons) as opposed to medical or ethical ones.  This was true on both sides - both Chinese and British.

Edited by Westie
  • Like 1

Opium: The Downfall of Imperial China

We tend to think of the "drug problem" as a modern phenomenon. But a century ago, illegal drugs brought an end an empire that had lasted for chingvase-frame.jpgthousands of years.

In 1793, China was the home of a sophisticated culture and a rich history. Among other remarkable achievements, China invented movable type, kites, and gunpowder. They perfected porcelain, silk and tea production. 1793, however, was the beginning of the end of Imperial China.

Great Britain and other European nations, desiring her silk, tea and porcelain, wanted badly to trade with China. China, however, wanted nothing to do with Europe, and even refused to see European diplomats. Finally in 1793, a British diplomat was successful in reaching the Chinese court. He told the Chinese of the wonderful products of his country, convinced that once they really knew what Europe had to offer, they would quickly agree to engage in trade. China, however, was unmoved. In a letter to King George, the emperor said,

. . . As your Ambassador can see for himself, we possess all things.  I set no value on objects strange or ingenious, and have no use for your country's manufactures. . . Our Celestial Empire possesses all things in prolific abundance and lacks no product within its own borders. There was therefore no need to import the manufactures of outside barbarians in exchange for our own produce. But as the tea, silk and porcelain which the Celestial Empire produces, are absolute necessities to European nations and to yourselves, we have permitted, as a signal mark of favour, that foreign hongs [merchant firms] should be established at Canton, so that your wants might be supplied and your country thus participate in our beneficence.

They would sell Europe their silk, tea and porcelain, but would buy nothing in return. 

Because Chinese goods were so sought-after in Europe, an imbalance of trade developed. European gold and silver went to China to import goods, but none returned because there was no possibility of export. This was unacceptable to the British and they desperately looked for a solution. 

The solution to Britain's problem was opium. Although opium had been used in China for medicinal purposes for a long time, it had not been used as a recreational drug. The British introduced opium to China in 1825, and soon, not surprisingly, Chinese began to be addicted to the drug. The emperor outlawed the possession, use, and trade in opium, but the profits were so immeopiumsmokers2-frame.jpgnse, that an illegal trade quickly developed. The East India Company in India supplied all the opium the Chinese wanted and the Chinese government was unable to stop the smuggling. The balance of trade gradually reversed.

In 1839 the Emperor ordered Commissioner Lin Tse-Hsu to put a stop to the opium trade. Lin wrote to Queen Victoria, appealing to the British sense of justice and compassion:

We have heard that in your own country opium is prohibited with the utmost strictness and severity:---this is a strong proof that you know full well how hurtful it is to mankind. Since then you do not permit it to injure your own country, you ought not to have the injurious drug transferred to another country, and above all others, how much less to the Inner Land! Of the products which China exports to your foreign countries, there is not one which is not beneficial to mankind in some shape or other. There are those which serve for food, those which are useful, and those which are calculated for re-sale; but all are beneficial. Has China (we should like to ask) ever yet sent forth a noxious article from its soil?

He received no reply. Left on his own to solve the problem, Lin ordered the destruction of a large supply of opium stored on Chinese soil. (The Chinese had allowed the British one port in which they could trade with China).

The British were outraged, and the first Opium War began. Faced with British industrial weaponry, it was no contest, and Britain easily defeated the Chinese. As part of the settlement of the war, China was forced to agree to open up new ports for trade, and to surrender the island of Hong Kong. A second Opium War was launched by Britain in 1856, forcing more concessions on the Chinese. Among other humiliations, the Chinese government was no longer able to hold foreigners accountable under Chinese law for crimes committed in China. The proud Central Kingdom had lost the ability to control trade and foreign nationals within its own borders.

An ever-weakening Chinese government also lost the support of its own people, whom it could no longer protect. By 1911, the empire was dead and a republic was born in China.

China

Although I am not an authority I have found throughout the years that different countries perceive and write history differently. Germany for instance teaches that we were aiming for Duseldorf when we missed or diverted the atom bomb for Hiroshima. The UK, used to teach that America was cut loose because they were too much trouble. And the Boston Tea Party never happened.

The citation on the source you used states that it was written by one educator and she sites no sources for her conclusions. That is NOT to say that it is in anyway inaccurate. It's just that I prefer collaborative history writings. Internationally when possible and with citations of the sources of it's collaborative conclusions.

Just my thoughts.

Interesting, VE Day was May 8 1945. Hiroshima was bombed August 5 1945. With the Boston embargo and passage of the Coercive Acts it is surprising to hear that. Most of history has been written by the victors. Most of what we have been taught was by just such authorities. Not to say that they were wrong, but.

I think this will be my last post here, with just my high school education, I am out of my league.

Note of interest: Caffeine remains in Boston Harbour Seawater at detectable levels.

Goodbye.

Please don't stop posting here. You're not out of your league at all. Its just dialog or discussion. Just be open to other ideas, its one of the great things about the web. We get a different view of the world.

And you're right, history is most often written by the victors. But revisionism is not out of the possibilities. It's occurring in America as we speak. But please, don't stop posting here just because there is a disagreement or an opposing view. I've learned that there are no absolute truth in ANY one history reporting. And your sharing has given me a different perspective to explore. Don't think that the reason's I cited mean the article lacks credibility. I meant only that when I read historical accounts that before I consider it an absolutely accurate portrayal of events that I prefer to see it from as many perceptions distilled together as possible. The victor, the victim and perhaps an entity uninvolved and objective. I'll feel awful if you allow this to chase you away.

;)

Well, Lord Granger figured a way that he didn't have to deal with Maidstone until the situation was understood better.  Of course, he would never have chosen such a method.  Let us hope that Maidstone doesn't kill Dr. Jackson before he can heal our hero.  

I am sure everyone on the island is holding their breaths knowing that something might happen any day.  Since everyone seems to know most everything about Granger's mission we can only hope the last minute orders about Granger being able to decide who will be the Governor.  

It is entirely possible that Granger has left instructions that Sommers should be the new Govenor until he is fit and able again or until news from the king changes that order. As for Dr Jackson, he has a Royal Pardon. SO its not likely that Maidstone can do anything to him without really pissing off the King and that would not be a good thing to do. So I'm betting on Granger to have left exactly those orders. All the signs point to it. And since Sommers is military, and his rank is that of an officer, he will be able to control the forces on land there. They will recognize him as Governor and follow HIS orders. I don't imagine Maidstone has ingratiated himself to anyone there who is subordinate to him and his perceived station.

My big question is what has become of Bertie and Chartley? Did Maidstone send them packing? Did he kill them both? Is this part of a plan with the Wilcox clan to inflict retribution on the whole Granger family for disgracing his nephew compounded by the failed duel? Is this where we find out that the Wilcox / Mann clan has a serious amount of control over John Company and colluded with Maidstone with promises of great wealth if he satisfied their revenge? Imagine Maidstones madness when he hears of the Royal Pardon. The added benefit of getting his hands on Jackson had to be iceing on the cake after the previous plot unfolded.

A great chapter Mark. Dark, but great.

Oh man!  Timing was horrible for Granger this time!  Well, with what I know of malaria, Quinine (sp?) is what works the best, if it is indeed malaria.  All those mesquitos may mean Yellow Fever if that was a problem in the east indies.  I certainly hope not, it's pretty fatal back then.  I just don't know.  Oh!  It could be Dengue Fever, which is prevalent on those islands too, I read somewhere.  Oh hell, they all can be fatal...especially back in the 18th century.

Let us just hope our hero can recover quickly.

Maidstone, being the lovely person I believe him to be, I am sure will attempt to press whatever advantage he perceives he has while Granger is under the weather  although with Bertie and Chartley around he may meet with more resistance than he knows.  Too many directions for my small mind to figure out...

Thank you for sending this chapter out on my birthday, Mark!  I was hoping you would and you did! 

• Like 1

They will recognize him as Governor and follow HIS orders. I don't imagine Maidstone has ingratiated himself to anyone there who is subordinate to him and his perceived station.

My big question is what has become of Bertie and Chartley? Did Maidstone send them packing? Did he kill them both? Is this part of a plan with the Wilcox clan to inflict retribution on the whole Granger family for disgracing his nephew compounded by the failed duel?

Asssuming Bertie and Chartley are both still in Aboyna, they would still have some major influence with any military presence on the island, as Chartley is a Brigadeer, and Bertie a colonel. Even if they were "retired" from active duty would still command a deal of respect from that quarter, probably more than a marine Captain.

Having stated that, I believe Dr. Jackson will be able to acquire proper medication for Granger and when Maidstone makes his move George will be better prepared for him. With Granger sick, he has a justifiable reason for not immeadiately reporting to Govenor (ie Maidstone) and if Bertie and/or Chartley are still there they can provide Granger with current situation there before deciding how to proceed. As far as the Dr., with a Kings Pardon and a Kings officer I am guessing Jackson is out of reach of Maidstone, but would also imagine the Dr will not be visiting the island until Grainger is better abd the situation resolved.

Unfortunately, my take on Grainger coming down with the fever means the end of his career as a Frigate Captain. He will return to health and England but not to sea possibly spelling the end of the Bridgemont Saga.

I hope not. And even if he is relegated to a shore assignment, he still has a seat in the house of lords. I could see Mark rolling this into a political saga with just as much intrigue. And hey, it may not be the fever at all, it may just be a bad flu strain. Who knows. We won't know anything until Lord Arbour graces us once again. Time will tell.

The new chapter is up...and it is a good one.   I can't believe you left us hanging out there like you just did!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry: Somehow I believe some native will come into the house with a nasty cure like that woman after the battle for Oran...well, one can hope I guess!

I wonder what Sir Thomas is up to?  His privateer is around somewhere so I am sure he's up to no good, he would be the type to have a plan B...he's gonna have to die, I can see that coming!

Thank you for the chapter, everything is going as I thought it would!  NOT!

Ok Mark, That was fantastically awful. You've set a whole new bar for cliffhangerness. :blink: Having a propensity to state the obvious, I'll move on.

Let's look at what we know about Maidstone's operation and the loose ends so far. He's selling to The French and Spanish by laundering the goods in S. America. He has a privateer "expected" to try and attack the Matilda. Calvert has not yet shown up and may or may not be on his way back to England. There is a butt load of Silver and coins on both ships, Calverts AND Grangers. Granger, if he recovers will have to return in a much slower ship, perhaps with Calvert?

Humphries and company are traveling back with news that George was on death's doorstep when they left. The Duke of Clarence will be happy about this. The Prince of Wales has promised to look out for Granger's kids. Granger's grandfather has yet to enter the picture in word or deed.

And Maidstone is an ass.

I am surprised that Lord Granger's friends have not asked Bertie to at least wait a few days or a week or two.  Granger being separated from his ship and his ship sailing away is in effect removing Granger from his command.   

The least these 'FRIENDS' could do is inform Bertie that they expect another ship to come sailing into port soon.  As much as Bertie wants Maidstone out of his hair, waiting a little while longer shouldn't be too much to ask with Granger's command in the balance.

Of course Maidstone could go into hiding and that might also give our hero a few more days to recover well enough to stop his brother from screwing up his career.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..