What Women Want

Zombie

I've noticed quite a few "straight" girls at GA enjoy reading gay male stories. And many write gay fiction too, some not so successfully ("chicks with dicks"), but others create utterly convincing male characters, scenarios, dialogue and emotions.

I've no evidence, but I'm guessing that straight guys are not big readers or writers of girl on girl stuff (they're probably more interested in watching it ... Posted Image), so I'm curious about the appeal of gay male stories for female readers and writers. What is it? Is it the erotic male on male thing you like? Or is it other stuff - you know, the conflict between a rugged "masculine" guy and his emotions kind of thing? And if you do like the erotic side do you also like, er, looking at it too? (heheh you needn't answer this bit unless you want to Posted Image).

• Like 1

Personally I like the conflict some men have with the whole coming out and becoming okay with their feelings. Other than that, i think that the stories are much more emotional and captivating. Haha and the erotic sides not too shabby either.

I like reading MM fiction because it is usually more emotional. As in, the feelings are deeper and more sincere. I don't really like it when women write gay male stories because... it just doesn't always gell. There are some obvious exceptions to this, many of which are on this site (Cia, Nephy etc.) I like conflict and resolution, I like a good plot. It's also hot as hell ;) I can't really explain it but to me I almost don't see gender, I see truth and love and emotion. When the characters fall in love, it's magical. It's that eternal thing that's always been out of reach for me that I desperately want to grab and reading about it fulfills that loss. I like reading about men and realizing that they can be vulnerable and conflcted and battle within themselves and others and reaching that decision that it's love, it's glorius and it feels good. And yes, I watch it. I have no shame.Posted Image

On the flip side, I used to read 'bodice ripper' like MF romances. But honestly, outside of being forced to read one to review it, I can't stand how faky faky it is. It's the EXACT same scenario over and over and over again. OH poor woman! She's either pregnant, poor, disadvanted , held at knifepoint against a modern day pirate or some other crazy non stop unrealistic thing. And every chick has big boobs (which is good) and a redeeming quality. The men are always hot, rich and arrogant.

Now lesbian stories :)

I like those, but it usually tends to go more toward sex than 'feelings'. There is no deep underlying problem that gets resolved. The most prominent problem is something very superficial and involves lots of sex in front of windows. Unless I'm looking in that window, I don't care. It's really boring to read. And just to clarify I do like lesbian sex and I'm still bored too tears. There are very few authors that can capture my attention and keep it.

I don't think I'm explaining myself well but maybe you can see a point through the rambling?

And I asked some straight guys if they would read FF stories and I got weird looks and NO. I do know that they watch it though :)

• Like 3

• Site Administrator

Funny funny Yang :P

I'm with Mari on the way that gender is very secondary. Thanks btw, hun, for thinking I do the genre justice! I do try not to feminize my men, even if they aren't butch types.

For me, a good story is a good story. For example, in the last day and a half I've read quite a few ebooks. One was a mfm where the 2 friends grew together and have always shared women but aren't into each other, 5 mm stories, 3 mf stories, and a mm story that had a secondary ff and mf grouping. That's a grand total of about 280k. (I know, I read a LOT) I could care less about the couple, or the sex. For me it is the interaction between the two that leads me to enjoy the romance between them, regardless of their gender. Add in an inventive or creative plot with action or mystery or drama beyond them and I'm a happy gal. I don't typically read ff because it does seem to be sappy overdone romance or sex PWP stories for the most part, but maybe I'm just not finding the right ones.

I write mm because I have the audience for it. The same with the mf stories, though my audience is less, so I write that less. I'm just into reading a great story. I could care less about the couple's dangly bits, or lack thereof, if they're written well.

Aren't straight girls just gay guys without penises?

Does that mean you would do a straight girl? Hmm....

Anywayz....

I love CIA's stories also. Just a +1.