BCS to start playoff in 2014

PrivateTim

There may still be problems, but I think it works out better giving four teams a shot at the title, as opposed to just two.

At least it takes some of the politicking out of the process. It drives me crazy how every year three or four teams get screwed out of playing for the national championship because they aren't big market or won't bring in the ratings. Its bullshit. But only 4 teams? Come on, thats still way too narrow. At least it is a step in the right direction though.

I feel as though the way the BCS and the rest of the bowl games go, they could make it into a big tournament like NCAA basketball tournament it would leave the title wide open for the best team to win it that year. However, I do feel its best to start with 4 and then see how that goes and grow it from there. Lastly, they need to pay college athletes.

That is all :)

I feel as though the way the BCS and the rest of the bowl games go, they could make it into a big tournament like NCAA basketball tournament it would leave the title wide open for the best team to win it that year. However, I do feel its best to start with 4 and then see how that goes and grow it from there. Lastly, they need to pay college athletes.

That is all Posted Image

I agree with everything except the paying. The primary objective of college is getting an education (or at least its supposed to be). Being able to be an athlete, even on the national stage, is a privilege. Its a stepping stone to a possible pro sports career.

I agree with everything except the paying. The primary objective of college is getting an education (or at least its supposed to be). Being able to be an athlete, even on the national stage, is a privilege. Its a stepping stone to a possible pro sports career.

The schools are making millions off of college sports. Even the perennial losers in big conferences make mint off the TV contracts.

With all that money changing hands and, the athletes not even getting a happy meal, it is a situation that lends itself easily to serious corruption.

Most of these guys are NOT going to be pros- they are all being used. To call it a privilege to be taken advantage of in a gigantic way and risk major injury, it is one I would happily do without.

• Like 1

Got tired of the SEC bringing home the trophy, eh? lol. I think it is about damn time a playoff is set up.. even if it is new and there are still a lot of problems with it.. I hated seeing over half the teams not be eligible for the Championship before the season even started... football needs to work on that a lot.

Krista go suck a duck.

Anyhoo. I can see a lotta players being happy over the fact that a lot of them are going to get a much better chance of playing for and winning a national championship. I love college football and it's got a great regular season. If they decide to up to playoffs to include a lot more teams, that might interrupt the whole format...but I guess 4 teams is a good start for now. It'll test itself out.

At least it takes some of the politicking out of the process. It drives me crazy how every year three or four teams get screwed out of playing for the national championship because they aren't big market or won't bring in the ratings. Its bullshit. But only 4 teams? Come on, thats still way too narrow. At least it is a step in the right direction though.

It isn't removing ANY of the politicking out of the process, it only raises the stakes in it. As long as who that final four is is determined by subjective rankings the process will be skewed.

Football isn't basketball, you can't play three games (Tues, Thurs, Sat) in a week. The college football season is already way too long.

The bowl system has been great for college football, for the players, the alumni of the schools and the schools themselves. A bowl game is a reward trip. You get to fly out to a generally nice place for a week or more, you are showered with gifts and get to visit places like Disneyland and visit kids in hospitals and have all kinds of special events. A straight playoff system like the FCS has destroys all that.

It is also bad for the alumni of these schools who follow the programs. In the bowl scenario fans know weeks in advance where they are going and they get to plan a fun week vacation in the bowl area and see other sights as well. It is a fun outing and especially fun for families. In a playoff you never know week to week where a game is going to be and most of these alumni fans won't be able to travel in consecutive weeks and not knowing when and where your team might play makes it more expensive for travel.

Krista go suck a duck.

Anyhoo. I can see a lotta players being happy over the fact that a lot of them are going to get a much better chance of playing for and winning a national championship. I love college football and it's got a great regular season. If they decide to up to playoffs to include a lot more teams, that might interrupt the whole format...but I guess 4 teams is a good start for now. It'll test itself out.

There are not going to be a lot more players getting a better chance to play. This won't help a Boise State or those kids of teams at all. As long as the polls are part of the formula, and with 4 teams they will be, the small market or even west coast teams will get short shrift.

Of the four teams in the "finals" only league champions should be eligible. Alabama should never have been in the national championship game last year, they didn't even win their division, let alone their league. They were actually at an advantage not having won their division as they didn't need to play an extra game against a quality opponent. But if you don't win your league, you shouldn't move on. Bama had their shot at LSU and lost, they didn't deserve another shot.

College football needs a lot of reforms. They need to split Division 1 again and only keep about 6 conferences at the highest level and create another FCS division.

Then they need to cut scholarships. No college needs more than 44 scholarships, 85 scholarships is ridiculous in a sport played by 11 people at a time. A limit of 44 scholarships would actually reopen the game of college football and return parity. It would also encourage schools that don't have football currently to go back to having teams, teams like Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton, UCSB, etc.

The tail is wagging the dog in college football, but the billion dollar pay off is too attractive to college presidents always looking for more revenue.