Wimbledon 2012

Zombie

They each have something to prove, so the final should be a good one. They usually are, but I think this one might hold just a little more meaning for the pair involved. Murray, however, will have the most pressure, since he will be upholding national pride, as well as individual glory.

Andy Murray will actually be looking to be the first British male to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry.

We have had numerous British winners at Wimbledon since then, just not in the men's singles. Virginia Wade won the ladies singles in 1977, Jeremy Bates and Jo Durie won the mixed doubles in 1987, Laura Robson won the girl's singles in 2008, Annabel Croft won the girl's singles in 1984, Ann Jones won both the ladies singles and was mixed doubles champion (with Australian Fred Stolle) in 1969 just to name a few.

We are not quite as crap at Wimbledon as people think :) Just we only seem to be produce female winners

Congrats to Jonathan Marray the first Brit to win the men's doubles in 76 years. Dare we take as a good omen?

Isn't that his older brother?

I can't wait. Also, Andy has such an amazing story of adversity with his trick knee be disjointed.

WL, I believe one is Murray and the other Marray. Congrats to him just the same and hopefully this good fortune will carry over into tomorrow. Wouldn't that put the Brits in a fantastic frame of mind, coming into the Olympics.

Unfortunately, Andy didn't meet the challenge. I think the turning point came in the second set, when he let some huge chances slip through his fingers but maybe we'll see him again next year.

Federer played a noticeably better match.

I liked Murray's little mumbled speech at the end. Posted Image Hard not to feel for the guy

Edited by Y_B

WL, I believe one is Murray and the other Marray. Congrats to him just the same and hopefully this good fortune will carry over into tomorrow. Wouldn't that put the Brits in a fantastic frame of mind, coming into the Olympics.

Ah, I was thinking of Jamie Murray, who won in the mixed Doubles of 2007 Wimbledon:

Poor andy though, he needs a cheering up party.

I liked Murray's little mumbled speech at the end. Posted Image Hard not to feel for the guy

Yeah, he may have lost a blingy trophy but he won the nation's heart with his emotional speech. And the guy smiled! True, if you blinked, you'd have missed it but it was definitely there with the tears. The guy's had a lot of negative coverage for his dour image but he is seriously focused. He was simply beaten by the better guy - a tennis Goliath. No shame in that. He gave his all. And the Brits love someone who gives his all and loses. Seriously, we really do Posted Image

I also saw the speech (I missed the game). Incredibly emotional. I don't usually follow sport, but gosh, it made me wanted to watch the entire game. Even though Murray lost, but that sportmanship at the end made me really admire him. I could understand the pressure..., to represent his country under that circumstance. I think I would cry too, if I felt I had let people down. Though I am sure nobody will blame him. Federer is a long time champion and has had much more experience, so the game was well-played. Hat-off to the champion in the spirit.

Now, I wish I could find a gentleman like him....

• Like 1

I have a lot of respect for Andy. He came out fighting against possibly one of the greatest tennis players in the world.

He kept fighting right till the very end, when even he knew he was struggling. You could see his frustration, as he felt it slipping away from him.

Thing is this poor guy carries the weight of expectation on his shoulders in addition to the pressure of his game. After all the times we expected Henman to deliver, and now he actually gets to the final, crumbs, is it any wonder the guy didn't do so well? I don't know, but I do know this. He tried hard, and I think it was a stunning achievement to even get that far let alone go one set up in the first set. He's only 25, lots more time to perfect his game. :D

As for Mr Federer. Well, credit where credit is due, that man pulled it out the hat. He can put that ball down on a dime I'm sure, and gosh he is quick over the court. He totally deserves his place in the tennis hall of fame. :)