Zombie

Not a problem - there's so much 60s and 70s crap to demolish Posted Image

1960's and 1970's buildings are just horrible. It's like the architects of the time were on a collective acid trip.

I'm bothered when solid buildings from the 1950's and before get demolished, but I have no such sentiment for the "groovy" era buildings.

Posted Image

I wonder how many acid trips THIS architect went on.

• Like 1

1960's and 1970's buildings are just horrible. It's like the architects of the time were on a collective acid trip.

I'm bothered when solid buildings from the 1950's and before get demolished, but I have no such sentiment for the "groovy" era buildings.

Posted Image

I wonder how many acid trips THIS architect went on.

Ummm, that would be the Dr. Suess Library at UC San Diego designed by the brilliant William L. Pereira who also did The Encounter at LAX

Posted Image

The Transamerica Pyramid

Posted Image

The Pacific Life Building

Posted Image

And the Sheraton Doha, to name of few of his accomplishments.

Posted Image

I like the groovy era buildings. If you think back, it was when people thought we'd colonize space and be flying around like the Jetsons by the end of the 20th century, and there's that sort of graphic novel feeling to a lot of these buildings.

I love that architecture, as much as any other art form, can reflect the psyche and dreams of a certain time period.

• Like 1

I like it. I like how it changes the skyline and the orientation around the city and all. But I also like the Olympic watchtower made by Mittal, so I may be weird. :P

The opening "laser and light show" was rubbish though. I mean, you invest so much money into construction of "the tallest building in the European Union" (which BTW nicely eliminates Moscow from the comparison :P) and you have no money left for some decent show for the people? Come on, that is lame! They charge £25 for viewing platform, £50 million for a flat there... well that just makes them look desperate.

• Like 1

while this is slightly off topic, we do need to be careful in agreeing to knocking down buildings because we "don't like" them. The Victorians hated the plainess of Georgian buildings, the Modernists hated Art Nouveau & Edwardian buildings, in turn the 1970's butalists are not flavour of the decade now. So it is almost expected that we hate the architecture of the recent past but love that of earlier eras.

all this to say that we need to be careful in what we pull down - the number of treasure lost because they were "out of date" (Penn station NY, Euston Station London to give two instant examples)

• Like 2

Fine if you like the Brutalist style ...

Not sure you can call those examples brutalist. true brutalism for me, is Preston Bus Station...

Posted Image

Choked on my breakfast. WHOAH. Sometimes i wonder just WHO thinks these things are good ideas!? I mean, ok, you're a progressive young architect bucking all the trends or whatever, but seriously?! You actually think people are going to look at that in four hundred years time or even in thirty years time and go 'hey, now why don't we still build things like that?' - because for me, that's the true measure of architecture.

BLEURGH.....

Not sure you can call those examples brutalist. true brutalism for me, is Preston Bus Station...

Yikes, Westie, that's the stuff of nightmares. How am I gonna sleep tonight ... Posted Image

while this is slightly off topic, we do need to be careful in agreeing to knocking down buildings because we "don't like" them. The Victorians hated the plainess of Georgian buildings, the Modernists hated Art Nouveau & Edwardian buildings, in turn the 1970's butalists are not flavour of the decade now. So it is almost expected that we hate the architecture of the recent past but love that of earlier eras.

all this to say that we need to be careful in what we pull down - the number of treasure lost because they were "out of date" (Penn station NY, Euston Station London to give two instant examples)

Good point Posted Image Can you believe even Sydney Opera House was apparently described by some Australians as "horrendous" - one of the most iconic buildings on the planet! Maybe time is needed to appreciate some buildings but I bet we can all think of carbuncles we'd like to push the button to get rid of ... Posted Image

Looks like the high school in Decatur, Tennessee. People should really make a second story instead of building away on length. Imagine those poor kids who have classes on opposite ends of the school with five minutes to get to them. :lol: