Jack Scribe Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 Good article in Huff Post from an old friend of mine who has handled P.R. for several celebrities: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-bragman/miles-to-go-before-we-sle_b_1678301.html It's cool to see men like Anderson Cooper 'officially' come out...but we've got a long way to go.
Daddydavek Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 The article makes the point clearly and concisely. Unfortunately, with the (un) religious right and the GOP completely hijacked to their causes, I see damn little headway to be made in the foreseeable future. Keeping your head down and your orientation private is a matter of personal survival for many. Outing yourself is a big deal and probably will be for a long time in the good old U.S.A. Thanks for pointing the article out Jack. I think it's something we all need to consider. 1
joann414 Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 Very enlightening article, and sadly, very true. Not only the famous often walk into brick walls by outing themselves, but we all know everyday folks like us get treated pretty harsh at times, and I know from experience. I waited until I was 52, my age now, and decided to tell my husband , immediate family, and a few close friends.. Two siblings have turned pretty cold, and my few close friends became fewer. I don't regret the decision, but courage does not always make consequences easier.
Bill W Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 The more things change, the more they stay the same. Let's hope that will change in the very near future.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now