Yay Football!

Krista

The 'real' football has started... Posted Image

First week:

Alabama killed Michigan, I thought they would win, but to smack around a team ranked in the top 10 is scary!

Penn St. lost their opener.

Georgia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Wisconsin are all BCS Title contenders that only just survived their games.

Southern California's coach Lane Kiffin is still an asshole and I would hate for them to do well this season. It completely overshadowed the Hawaii game season opener.

Posted Image

Alabama doesn't look like graduation has slowed them down.

The only SEC team that lost was Vandy and they played another SEC team.

Ah.. Kentucky lost to Louisville, but can you really count Kentucky as a SEC worthy football team? :P

• 2 months later...

The SEC is the biggest bunch of pretenders ever. Once again their top teams play easy non-conference games and all at home.

Non-conference opponents for South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and LSU: Buffalo, Florida Atlantic (2 teams), East Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, UAB, North Texas, Idaho, Washington, Towson, Michigan, Western Kentucky, Western Carolina, Wofford, Bowling Green, Louisiana Lafayette and Jacksonville State.

Only 3 teams are from BCS conferences and 4 are from Div IAA and as I said EVERY game is at home, no road games at all.

Non-conference opponents for USC, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State and Arizona: Oklahoma St, South Carolina St, Toledo, Notre Dame (2 teams), Duke, San Jose State, Wisconsin, BYU, Nicholls, Arkansas State, Fresno State, Tennessee Tech, Hawaii and Syracuse.

6 BCS conference opponents, 2 of those games on the road, and only 2 from Div IAA.

I'll just comment on the game I saw parts of today, that being Steelers-Giants. It seemed pretty apparent to me that the refs handed the Giants that second TD that put them up 13-7, unless the announcers didn't know what the hell they were talking about when they said it clearly looked like something that should be ruled incomplete (instead of a fumble). Then later on, when the Steelers had a 4th and 1 near the goal line and they pull a fake FG...and fail at it! Who calls for a fake FG and then fails at doing it?? Posted Image

All that, and the Giants still manage to lose, 24-20. :lmao::rofl:

Edited by MJ85

I'll just comment on the game I saw parts of today, that being Steelers-Giants. It seemed pretty apparent to me that the refs handed the Giants that second TD that put them up 13-7, unless the announcers didn't know what the hell they were talking about when they said it clearly looked like something that should be ruled incomplete (instead of a fumble). Then later on, when the Steelers had a 4th and 1 near the goal line and they pull a fake FG...and fail at it! Who calls for a fake FG and then fails at doing it?? Posted Image

All that, and the Giants still manage to lose, 24-20. Posted Image Posted Image

I disagree with the announcers.

It looked like Roeth was trying to hang on to the ball or pull it back, it didn't look like a normal follow through. See his off hand reach for the ball and his throwing hand clinch into a fist? He was trying to grab it back, not send it forward.

• 2 weeks later...

So....the Jets....is it Tibow time or what? I mean they bring him in, okay, as a backup, but at this point, Sanchez just isn't getting it done and the Jets can not really afford to keep thinking he's suddenly going to turn this season around. Why sign Tibow if they ain't gonna use him is what I'm saying, I mean yeah, Tibow is not a conventional quarterback, but conventional quarterback isn't getting it done at the moment. Heck. Tibow might have been better playing for jacksonville at this point, then maybe he'd be playing.

Speaking of quarterbacks...sigh....the cowboys need to consider a new one, and the eagles D needs to learn to protect theirs better. Vick and the backup, I mean come on, the stats on Vic are that in 8 games he hit the dirt something like 130+ times...that's how quarterbacks get broke. There's things Vick needs to clean up on and do better, but it's awful hard to do when you're spitting out turf every three plays.

The only reason I watch pro-football is Aaron "Bedroom eyes" Rogers. :D

Now on to College:

#1 Kansas State - Lost to Baylor *Unranked*

#2 Oregon - Lost to 13* Ranked Stanford

I believe the loss takes Kansas State out of the BCS Championship game since they no longer have a Big 12 Championship game. It knocks Oregon out of the running to play for the PAC 12 Championship and possible the Rose Bowl if Stanford beats UCLA next week. So I believe neither team will be in the running for the BCS Championship game.

In the SEC, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida all improve to 10 - 1 and since the SEC has a championship game, I believe the winner out of the SEC will be jumped to No. 2 and will likely play Notre Dame (IF Notre Dame doesn't lose to Southern California, their last game).

All of this makes me wish for a Play Off game. I hate one loss.. close or a blow out determines whether one team is picked over the other. There is no doubt though that the SEC is the best Football Conference in the nation though. ;)

The only reason I watch pro-football is Aaron "Bedroom eyes" Rogers. Posted Image

Now on to College:

#1 Kansas State - Lost to Baylor *Unranked*

#2 Oregon - Lost to 13* Ranked Stanford

I believe the loss takes Kansas State out of the BCS Championship game since they no longer have a Big 12 Championship game. It knocks Oregon out of the running to play for the PAC 12 Championship and possible the Rose Bowl if Stanford beats UCLA next week. So I believe neither team will be in the running for the BCS Championship game.

In the SEC, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida all improve to 10 - 1 and since the SEC has a championship game, I believe the winner out of the SEC will be jumped to No. 2 and will likely play Notre Dame (IF Notre Dame doesn't lose to Southern California, their last game).

All of this makes me wish for a Play Off game. I hate one loss.. close or a blow out determines whether one team is picked over the other. There is no doubt though that the SEC is the best Football Conference in the nation though. Posted Image

With Alabama beating back the mighty foe Western Carolina, Georgia's heroric efforts over Georgia Southern and Florida gamely fighting off Jacksonville State, all at home of course. These historic wins go along with Alabama's wins over Western Kentucky and Florida Atlantic, Georgia's wins over Buffalo and Florida Atlantic and Florida's home wins over Jacksonville State, Bowling Green and Louisiana Lafayette. South Carolina with wins over Wofford, East Carolina and Alabama Birmingham. Texas A&M is learning quickly how to gain rankings in the SEC with games with Sam Houston State, Louisiana Tech and South Carolina State. Last but not least of course, LSU and their winds over North Texas, Idaho and Towson. All these games against the powerhouses listed above were at the SEC teams home field except the A&M game against LA Tech, but I am sure it was scheduled before they were in the SEC. Now that they are, they can have the cupcakes delivered.

Baylor is an in conference game for K State and in most conferences the bottom can beat the top because power shifts around..... most conferences except the SEC of course where Vandy, Kentucky and Mississippi will be perpetual also rans. When WAS the last time there was parity in the SEC? MS last won the SEC in 1963, KY did tie for the title in 1976, but it was 1950 before that and for Vandy you have to go back to 1923 and the old Southern Conference for their last conference title.

Getting to 9 or 10 wins is easier when you can do it at home against outmanned opponents.

A lot of teams play out of conference games late in the season. Florida has Florida State for their last game of the regular season almost every year. Alabama's loss was to the power house likely Big 12 champion if they had stayed - Texas A&M. Florida lost to No. 7 LSU. Georgia lost to #6 South Carolina. They play one another all conference.

What happened to Oregon's high powered offense when they finally came up against a team that could play defense? The SEC is all about DEFENSE... Oregon wouldn't have a chance. They ARE the class of the Pac 12. Kansas State might as well not have even been in the building during the first half of their game against Baylor.

In the BCS system - which I'm not a real fan - it is ok to lose early.. to fall late in the season is worse.

The SEC still has the best conference in football - that will likely stay.

Edited by Krista

A lot of teams play out of conference games late in the season. Florida has Florida State for their last game of the regular season almost every year. Alabama's loss was to the power house likely Big 12 champion if they had stayed - Texas A&M. Florida lost to No. 7 LSU. Georgia lost to #6 South Carolina. They play one another all conference.

What happened to Oregon's high powered offense when they finally came up against a team that could play defense? The SEC is all about DEFENSE... Oregon wouldn't have a chance. They ARE the class of the Pac 12. Kansas State might as well not have even been in the building during the first half of their game against Baylor.

In the BCS system - which I'm not a real fan - it is ok to lose early.. to fall late in the season is worse.

The SEC still has the best conference in football - that will likely stay.

The rankings of the SEC teams are meaningless when they play 3 Cupcake Tech's or Little Sisters of Mercy State, plus they have a weak bottom of the conference that artifically inflates their win total.

We don't know how good or bad the SEC is since they don't play a lot of other BCS conference teams and in the rare times they do, they play at home. When do SEC teams ever play in Corvalis, Tucson, Tempe, Eugene, Pullman and the like?

Alabama played #5 Michigan on a neutral field (41 - 14).

Florida is playing at #10 Florida State this weekend.

South Carolina is playing at #11 Clemson this weekend.

Oregon's out of conference games were: Arkansas State, Fresno State, and Tennessee Tech - not really much of a competition for the team, but they all scored over a touchdown on them, Arkansas State putting up 34 points. 34 points would be enough to win in most football games. Notre Dame was the top opponent for Stanford and they lost. Notre Dame plays practically the same schedule every year as an independent. Southern Cal played Hawaii and Syracuse earlier this season and will play and likely LOSE to Notre Dame, who again plays them every single year, so it's not a surprise.

And you talk about the SEC being top heavy, well look at the Pac 12, their top teams have MORE losses than the top teams in the SEC and the last place teams are: 1 - 10, 2 - 9, 3 - 9, 4 - 7. So you cannot justify your argument about the SEC being top heavy when a lot of the conferences are shaping up the same way.

There are 9 teams bowl eligible in the SEC right now - could be 10 if Ole Miss beats Mississippi State (which I don't think will happen).

Big 12 has 7

Pac 12: has 8

Big 10: has 6 since Ohio State is banned from the bowl season.

ACC: has 7

Big East: has 4.

The PAC 12 has made a lot of improvement, but stacked against one another the SEC is still better and if there were more teams to play one another people could see that.

There are reasons why the SEC and the PAC 12 don't see a lot of action within the two conferences though. First, the BCS BOWL system. They are set up that the top teams from the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, ACC, and PAC 12 all get a share of the larger bowls, but only to the top teams. You will see most of these top tier teams avoid one another so they can keep those big money making games intact, because there is a fat pay check for both teams that play in them. That same thought applies to the Championship Bowl Game - which could be any of those top bowl games depending on who the number 1 and 2 teams are. It is a system that a two or three loss team has no chance at the Championship with. I actually hate it. If that ever changed then you will see these teams all branch out and play one another more often, but they won't. It just isn't intelligent to do so for any of the major bowl conferences to schedule more than two games like that. (Although for some dumb reason UCLA did this year). There is just too much risk and too little reward.

Also these football teams travel 120+ people to every game. The funding may only cover one or two of those games and I bet most of them would like that funding to go towards one of the top BCS Bowl games instead of an out of conference regular season game.

Alabama played #5 Michigan on a neutral field (41 - 14).

Florida is playing at #10 Florida State this weekend.

South Carolina is playing at #11 Clemson this weekend.

Oregon's out of conference games were: Arkansas State, Fresno State, and Tennessee Tech - not really much of a competition for the team, but they all scored over a touchdown on them, Arkansas State putting up 34 points. 34 points would be enough to win in most football games. Notre Dame was the top opponent for Stanford and they lost. Notre Dame plays practically the same schedule every year as an independent. Southern Cal played Hawaii and Syracuse earlier this season and will play and likely LOSE to Notre Dame, who again plays them every single year, so it's not a surprise.

And you talk about the SEC being top heavy, well look at the Pac 12, their top teams have MORE losses than the top teams in the SEC and the last place teams are: 1 - 10, 2 - 9, 3 - 9, 4 - 7. So you cannot justify your argument about the SEC being top heavy when a lot of the conferences are shaping up the same way.

There are 9 teams bowl eligible in the SEC right now - could be 10 if Ole Miss beats Mississippi State (which I don't think will happen).

Big 12 has 7

Pac 12: has 8

Big 10: has 6 since Ohio State is banned from the bowl season.

ACC: has 7

Big East: has 4.

Michigan was a PRE-season #8, not #5 and has lost two other games since then and if they lose to OSU, won't even be a top 25 team.

Vandy got bowl eligible by beating teams like I-AA Presbyterian (2-9) and hapless 1-10 UMass. Mississippi State got a phony national raking and bowl eligible by beating South Alabama, Jacksonville State, Middle Tennessee and Troy in four of their first seven games.

And the SEC only has 8 teams bowl eligible, and 6 teams bowl ineligible, the Pac 12 is 8 and 4. And the SEC isn't just top heavy one season, it is the SAME teams year in year out. Cal and Washington state may be down this year, but Cal was Pac 10 chmapions as recently as 2006 and WSU in 2002. In the last 20 years every team in the old Pac 10 won a Pac 10 title. I've already shown when the last time some SEC schools like Vandy, KY, Ole Miss etc won an SEC title.

I don't really care that Vandy, Ky, and Ole Miss have slumped and are at the bottom of the SEC. Those dominating teams at the top are there because they are better.. and they are always in the top of the over all rankings because they are better than the rest of the nation.

I don't really care that Vandy, Ky, and Ole Miss have slumped and are at the bottom of the SEC. Those dominating teams at the top are there because they are better.. and they are always in the top of the over all rankings because they are better than the rest of the nation.

They haven't "slumped", Cal is in a slump, Vandy, KY & Ole Miss are the walking dead. They shouldn't be in the SEC, they should be in a conference where they have a chance to win and they shouldn't be there to provide a perpetual win for the other teams. It is a self fulfilling prophesy syndrome that will never change. Top SEC shouldn't be allowed to build national rankings on weak sisters.