Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+44) Prelude to Betrayal

Prepare yourself. Take your lumps. You are wrong.

Totally wrong.

Posted Image ..............Mike this is all fun and games to me, I'm aware of the evil goats mind and this would not surprise me of this scenario of Grundig. Yep, no evidence at all, but he was 2nd closest to Greg in knowing the whereabouts of Trevor. The fact that Greg did not give him Trev's satellite number until the last encounter, and the mention of his glazed eyes. Someone in the police force has been feeding the cartel information all this time. So check this out, if Trevor tells Grundig of their actual heading and meets up with Julie, only to find Bridget's hit squad waiting for them, how did anyone know where they were heading if Trevor sent the tracking device afloat? Julie may not be the bad person and wave Trevor off the island she is at. I see the 30.06 coming into play as Bridget's men try to overtake the boat. So fun and games while we wait for the next chapter, from a deranged goat brain!! Posted Image

I think you'll find that if the boys are headed due North at 1700 miles east of New Zealand that they are headed towards Hawaii certainly not Fiji which is due North of New Zealand.Posted Image Why would Grundig help Trevor find and disable the tracking device if he was a crook..... it doesn't make sense...Posted Image

• Site Moderator

Grundig has been kept in the background, sometimes on purpose. A case in point. Back when Kline was arrested, Fowler made a deal with him. He kept Grundig out of it incase it went bad. He did let him in when the interview was over. It would have been safer for Trev with the fewest number of people knowing his contact information.

Trev had more contact with Fowler once it was discovered he was Trev's uncle plus the fact that Fowler was probably the Senior officer. I also stated before that Grundig has had to step up to do things since Fowler can't openly do things now. After all, all aboard Kookaburra are missing, presumed dead.

Just a fast Hi! from Venice. :)

Expecting an aqcua alta (high water flood) tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics of the flooding in St. Marks' square.

BTW, what's this about cliffhangers? Did Wildone add some? There were none in the chapter as I left it... Wildone, what did you do???

I suppose I should mention the title of the next chapter: Betrayal.

It's just a happy, feel-good chapter, no tension, no suspense, nothing to worry about, and absolutely no cliffys. (unless, of course, Wildone has rewritten it... ).

Sorry I haven't been able to catch up on the threads yet; posting is very, very hard via this hotel connection (so slow most tries to post time out). If this even appears, I've been lucky. :)

• Site Administrator

Just a fast Hi! from Venice. Posted Image

Expecting an aqcua alta (high water flood) tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics of the flooding in St. Marks' square.

BTW, what's this about cliffhangers? Did Wildone add some? There were none in the chapter as I left it... Wildone, what did you do???

I suppose I should mention the title of the next chapter: Betrayal.

It's just a happy, feel-good chapter, no tension, no suspense, nothing to worry about, and absolutely no cliffys. (unless, of course, Wildone has rewritten it... ).

Sorry I haven't been able to catch up on the threads yet; posting is very, very hard via this hotel connection (so slow most tries to post time out). If this even appears, I've been lucky. Posted Image

Sorry Goat, no, didn't add anything that you didn't put in there yourself ;)

So I too did some research. I thought I had found out that them finding the tracking device in the crew cabin was not the only one.

I was wrong :(

First off the diver back in Melbourne I thought had placed a tracking device on the boat. In fact, all he was doing was diving to check the bottom of the boat to see if he could tell which boat it was that Trevor and Shane was on. He correctly identified that it was Atlantis due to the newness of everything on the bottom side.

Then I thought about the 'forensic' expert in Melbourne. He didn't place anything on board in searching for anything out of place, he just got the keys from Trevor where he was able to make an imprint to make copies.

The tracking device was in fact placed on board in ....can't remember what city :P . The imprinted keys didn't work too well, so he had to force the lock open on the crew cabin hatch. That is where the tracking device was planted. This was further confirmed with Trevor noticing he needed some graphite spray when he noticed the crew cabin hatch's lock sticking.

So I guess that means they are in the clear of the tracking device. Yet it doesn't put Grundig in the clean IMHO. He could have known all along where the tracking device was, but then again maybe he didn't :D . He also now knows Trevor satellite phone number, so we will see if he makes a few more phone calls to him or to the satellite phone company.

So with my suspicion of Betrayal I have a few suspects; Grundig and Julie. There is also the possibility that it might be Joel's father who has the resort for the honeymoon. It wouldn't be the first time CJ has given us a title which totally misled us, now would it :P

• Like 1

Sorry Goat, no, didn't add anything that you didn't put in there yourself Posted Image

So I too did some research. I thought I had found out that them finding the tracking device in the crew cabin was not the only one.

I was wrong Posted Image

First off the diver back in Melbourne I thought had placed a tracking device on the boat. In fact, all he was doing was diving to check the bottom of the boat to see if he could tell which boat it was that Trevor and Shane was on. He correctly identified that it was Atlantis due to the newness of everything on the bottom side.

Then I thought about the 'forensic' expert in Melbourne. He didn't place anything on board in searching for anything out of place, he just got the keys from Trevor where he was able to make an imprint to make copies.

The tracking device was in fact placed on board in ....can't remember what city Posted Image . The imprinted keys didn't work too well, so he had to force the lock open on the crew cabin hatch. That is where the tracking device was planted. This was further confirmed with Trevor noticing he needed some graphite spray when he noticed the crew cabin hatch's lock sticking.

So I guess that means they are in the clear of the tracking device. Yet it doesn't put Grundig in the clean IMHO. He could have known all along where the tracking device was, but then again maybe he didn't Posted Image . He also now knows Trevor satellite phone number, so we will see if he makes a few more phone calls to him or to the satellite phone company.

So with my suspicion of Betrayal I have a few suspects; Grundig and Julie. There is also the possibility that it might be Joel's father who has the resort for the honeymoon. It wouldn't be the first time CJ has given us a title which totally misled us, now would it Posted Image

Posted Image ....................I always thought Julie was involved with Bridget, but I could be wrong too! Posted Image Right now Trevor has no way to communicate with Julie, but if she is involved and Grundig is also involved. She could be expecting them IF Trevor lays out his plan to Gunddig. That should alert Trevor that should she meets them either accidentally or on purpose.Remember Bridget still has a hit squad in New Zealand, how fast could she fly them to Tahiti? The boy's might be a bit alarmed if Julie try's to per-sway them to stay a few days, since Trevor has taking an alarm mode. If Julie is a safe mode or a motherly type one, why has the goat taken us there? The boys have already floated the idea of placing the tracker on a raft to Grundig, so their whereabouts are no where to be seen unless they voice it. Grundig is the prelude and Julie is the Betrayal.

Going back over early chapters it really seemed like Julie was a good friend to Trevor. She was a college friend of Bridgets and introduced Trevor to her.Posted Image When she left for Tahiti she gave Trevor an email address to contact her. Maybe Trevor figures that he can hand over the tape to her (Julie) in Tahiti and thereby get Bridget et al off their backs....Posted Image If this is the case then I think Julie could betray them to Bridget.Posted Image Grundig has offered too much help to honestly be considered a traitor. The glazed eyes etc are just a red herring from the goat. I think also that he would have been pressing the boys for information as to their current destination which he didn't do... All he did do was what he was asked to do as an officer of customs involved in the casePosted Image

Betrayals though can work both ways and maybe just maybe Trevor and Shane or any of the other protagonists may just turn the tables on Bridget and her cohorts and betray them..... Just a thought.......Posted Image

As WInemaker pointed out, Trevor has Julie's email address and we know he has internet access via his satellite phone.

Posted Image ...............Only if Trevor memorized it, remember Trevor lost everything when the pirates stripped Atlantis.

Edited by Benji
  • Site Administrator

Going back over early chapters it really seemed like Julie was a good friend to Trevor. She was a college friend of Bridgets and introduced Trevor to her.Posted Image When she left for Tahiti she gave Trevor an email address to contact her. Maybe Trevor figures that he can hand over the tape to her (Julie) in Tahiti and thereby get Bridget et al off their backs....Posted Image If this is the case then I think Julie could betray them to Bridget.Posted Image Grundig has offered too much help to honestly be considered a traitor. The glazed eyes etc are just a red herring from the goat. I think also that he would have been pressing the boys for information as to their current destination which he didn't do... All he did do was what he was asked to do as an officer of customs involved in the casePosted Image

Betrayals though can work both ways and maybe just maybe Trevor and Shane or any of the other protagonists may just turn the tables on Bridget and her cohorts and betray them..... Just a thought.......Posted Image

Like I said earlier, I could be totally wrong about Gundig. 0:) He probably didn't need to ask them their location and where they are going because he now has the satellite phone number which I'm sure he could track them with if needed.

You're last point brought up a new idea (yeah, I'm having a lot of them lately :P ). What if the Betrayal is actually against Bridget from the First Among Equals, or even better, Xavier?

Just a thought :)

• Like 1

What if the Betrayal is actually against Bridget from the First Among Equals, or even better, Xavier?

Now we are making progress. At least someone sees the possibility that Grundig is not the only one who may betray another.

What other possibilities are there?

• Like 1

Like I said earlier, I could be totally wrong about Gundig. Posted Image He probably didn't need to ask them their location and where they are going because he now has the satellite phone number which I'm sure he could track them with if needed.

You're last point brought up a new idea (yeah, I'm having a lot of them lately Posted Image ). What if the Betrayal is actually against Bridget from the First Among Equals, or even better, Xavier?

Just a thought Posted Image

About Bridget and the FAE.... I still believe it's her intention to ruin them all over the death of her daughterPosted Image . She's a woman who never gives up on grudges and someone involved with the drug business caused her daughters death. The reappearance of the doll may be linked to this. Keeping with your thoughts about betrayal... Maybe Grey will betray the syndicate by becoming a supergrassPosted Image it would certainly get him out of the sticky (or should I say pricklyPosted Image ) situation he's in..... Just a thought

Posted Image ........ Well there a couple of things here, Grundig was kept in the dark because of job security of Trevor by Fowler, yet acknowledged no surprise or the fact that he had already deduced that Trevor was related to Fowler. 2dly we knew that there was an insider in the police force for the cartel. Who could be more perfectly entrenched then Gundig? Grundg has now gained the confidence, or thinks he has, as Trevor has now deduced that something doesn't add up right.

The Julie thing has 3 scenerios;

1. She meets & greats Trevor unexpectedly out at sea and invites him to her dock. - Trevor is sure be wary here after all Julie and Bridget were friends.

2. Trevor tries to initiate contact with Julie to resolve the issue with Bridget, don't seeing that happening Trevor now knows Bridget is part of the cartel.

3. What if Trevor tells Grudig that the tracer has been floated away at a bearing of south sot west and that he is still bearing the eastward route to the canal.

I see this scenario happening, Trevor escapes from Tahiti, is being chased by Bridget's people and calmly shoots up the boat of theirs with the 30-06 causing it to sink. Why else was that weapon being brought into attention if not being used?

My thoughts1

Hmmm Grundig is not a policeman.... He's a customs officer and has a lot less access to areas of security than you may think. He has also involved the federal police in the placing of a tracker on Atlantis and it's subsequent removal and knowledge of the number of Trevors satelite phone. If they are keeping an eye on this and it seems by the information in the chapter that they are, then it would give Grundig away to them if he used it in some way to track Atlantis. I think you'll find that Grundig is just a bystander that Fowler kept in the dark to keep the numbers of people in the know about his nephews security to a minimum.

I see this scenario happening, Trevor escapes from Tahiti, is being chased by Bridget's people and calmly shoots up the boat of theirs with the 30-06 causing it to sink. Why else was that weapon being brought into attention if not being used?

That's a good question. Practically nothing in this story has been introduced for no reason. Even Trevor's clapped-out old car was important for the "charity auction" and the tins of hot dogs kept Trev alive in the Southern Ocean.

So, what is the purpose of the 30-06 if not to shoot up the cartel's boat?

• Like 1

Practically nothing in this story has been introduced for no reason. Even Trevor's clapped-out old car was important for the "charity auction" and the tins of hot dogs kept Trev alive in the Southern Ocean.

True. C James' stories are rich with detail as good novels always are. The details we find in his stories are almost always meaningful, woven into the fabric to have their significance revealed many chapters later.

So, what is the purpose of the 30-06 if not to shoot up the cartel's boat?

What other target could there be? Might Trevor have occasion to shoot a witch?

while the cats AWAY.

it is PRELUDE TO BETRAYAL not Prelude to A Betrayal, and BETRAYAL, Does that mean a betrayal or two or three or more?

Posted Image ..........Prelude ....a preliminary to an action, event, condition, or work of broader scope and higher importance. (Source dictionary)

Sounds like something is being set up in motion to offer the betrayal to me, and right now who could that be in this chapter?

• Site Administrator

Logic would say since the last chapter was Prelude to Betrayal and the one releasing next Tuesday is Betrayal, that someone in the first chapter would be betrayed by someone in that chapter as well.

Unfortunately with the Goat, all logic goes out the window :P

There is so many options and any could be right. If we take the literal meaning of the title then I think this needs to be a huge betrayal.

The one that is now in the forefront of my mind is Julie and Trevor. Trevor trusted Julie implicitly while growing up. He allowed her on Atlantis and go where he went. She introduced him to Bridget. I have a feeling that Julie was Bridget's spy on Trevor while he was younger. Is it a coincidence that she decided to move to Tahiti once Trevor was turning 17 and be searching the Bimini coast again for his mother. At this age, I'm sure Trevor was now expendable to both Bridget and Julie much the same as Bridget's daughter was :( .

So many different possibilities I'm sure I will change my mind over the next week ;)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..